Court of the Medici» Forums » General

Subject: A Leaflet of Rules that Leaves a Lot of Questions Unanswered. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Had Tikal and LeHavre to play last weekend and I thought I would bring CotM out as a filler between games.

I left the rule sheet on tghe table and had a little break adjusting my eyes. However, my ears needed adjusting after five minutes. The rules were not clear to my guests. Thank goodness I could just about verbalize them as I relaxed on my recliner.

It seems that the rules leaflet was not at all clear re: Inner and Outer Courts. In a way, I cannot blame the confusion...the rules need expanding.

Anyway, we played three rounds and then started on LeHavre.

As my guests we leaving, I asked them what they thought of CotM and they all said the same thing, to paraphrase: " Why just a leaflet ? It requires a bit more explanations to get the mechanics across....pity we could not find them ! ".

Well, it seems that I shall have to find a solo variant laugh Yes, it does seem a little bit of a task ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
I left the rule sheet on tghe table and had a little break adjusting my eyes. However, my ears needed adjusting after five minutes. The rules were not clear to my guests. Thank goodness I could just about verbalize them as I relaxed on my recliner.

The problem doesn't seem to be with the rules. You should see a doctor about getting your ears adjusted, as that can definitely cause interference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Stick to Le Havre, it's a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Jeffrey, I had no problem with the rules (even though my eyesight is affected by MS) and I was having a rest while the rest were reading the rules because they thought that a "leaflet" could easily be read and the rules of the game must therefore be simple. It was a case of my guests trying to make sense of them. I had read the rules and knew them.

I was pointing out what three people said not what I said. But, yes, I do think that a bit more effort should have been put into the "leaflet" as some players do have issues with it.

As I mentioned, I told them the rules verbally after they struggled trying to make sense of them by themselves and they (all with good eyesights) made comments regarding the rules.

Having played the game several times with my nephew on Wednesday, we really had a great time. However, it is not often I get to play with more than one other player and that is why I think I should find a solo variant....that is the task I was referring to at the end of my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving rules to people who expect to play immediately is almost always a recipe for disaster. Better to teach the game when you have time to do it properly or have them read the rules when they have time to read and digest without the expectation to jump into a game. I've gotten a lot of people started with this and the rules are so simple to teach one on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an interesting experience with this last night. I played with someone I'd played 2 games with a while back, so we reviewed the rules before starting in. As I remember, things went really well before, but this time she was in a strange mood. From the beginning, she wasn't sure what she should do and wanted to read the rules. The strategic/tactical information she wanted, of course, isn't in the rules, so I told her the basics again and suggested that she just play
and we'd figure it out as we went along. She didn't go for that, so while she read the rules I helped the group next to us with their new game. I don't think she ever heard any of my advice for the whole game. Anyway, had this been my introduction to playing the game, I'd have completely the opposite feeling for the game that I have. My experience with all other newbies has been very positive (even with her the previous time), so obviously other factors that are beyond our control or even the games control can play a huge part in a game's accessability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be honest and say that I had some issues after reading the rules (I usually get a fairly clear picture of what I need to do, how the game works etc). But really - I didn't. We started to play and within a few rounds everything started to click. It sounds very pat, but really - it didn't take long before my wife and I were really humming with this one.

On a side note - the next issue of the Z-Man Games Newsletter (Issue 11 - should be posted soon) will have a short strategy article in it about this game. If you read feel free to correct me or give me any advice!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john mcnamara
United States
grand rapids
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is original. It is so hard to wrap your head around at first, because it is a game system that is rather ambiguous. But this ends up being the games strength.

You finally start to understand how to use the game mechanics as tools around your third game, but at first you don't have a reference point!

i want to see more games like this!! this has become the goto game for my wife and I. I want to see more games where the mechanics of the game can be cleverly and creatively used by the players in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like this game, but it is in spite of how the rules have been written. The actual rules could be communicated much more simply and concisely. I'm thinking of starting a geeklist of such games (2nd in the list will be Aton).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I really like this game, but it is in spite of how the rules have been written. The actual rules could be communicated much more simply and concisely. I'm thinking of starting a geeklist of such games (2nd in the list will be Aton).

My vote for the 1st game on your list? Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper. Any objection to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, were you playing it with more than 2 players? I haven't played the game nor seen it in person, but the BGG page says it's only for 2 players, so maybe that was an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:

I would love to know how to play this one... I see glimpses of what it is, but can't really make it out. A sample series of game turns would help a great deal to get this onto the table. Until then, it's fast becoming trade bait (something I rarely do).

If such a thing wouldn't take too much time, I'd certainly be one of those interested in getting this one cleared up.

Don't give up on it!!! Lay the cards out and try a solo game to get hold of the mechanics. It really is pretty simple. I found it hard to grasp the gameplay just from reading the rules but, once I actually laid out the cards and started playing, got a big smile on my face as the mysteries of this great game unfolded. It's a gem!!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 30-40 times now. A great two-player game. It is quick, nasty and quite a lot of fun.

Those people struggling - keep at it! I think it's worth it!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.