Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The Portable Galactic Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Morrisey
msg tools
Every once and awhile you come across that board game that represents a new experience that captures your interest, the Portable Galactic Empire.
I wish this game had been available when I was first trying to get my wife to play board games. She watched some of the games and felt that some of them would be very difficult to learn. I did eventually get her to play a few games so I could steadily progress her to playing the more complicated and often massive strategy games.

The first time I played the Portable Galactic Empire I was able to sit down and start playing within 10 minutes. It’s one of those games where the rules are simple enough (1 two sided page) that you can dive right in but the interactions in the game are entertaining enough to keep you interested.

The Portable Galactic Empire has one other feature that I think will be key to its success, because of the way the game is structured it will be rare that any given player will be completely eliminated from the game before they have an opportunity to play for the win. I’ve played many games where a quick strike and some luck when going after an opponent can essentially remove them from the game at the outset. The result of which is if the person doesn’t walk away completely they don’t really participate fully, sometimes slowing the game down by drawing attention away from it because their interest has wandered.

The Portable Galactic Empire game mechanism offers every player even the underdog that opportunity to come back and revitalize their game.
In my very first game I had the opportunity to see the obvious leader get taken down by the other players giving each of them opportunities to become the next top dog.

If you’re looking for something new that you can learn quickly and play just about anywhere you have some table space this one is worth looking into.

http://www.castlegamesinc.ca/pge.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to boardgamegeek.

Quote:
Experienced players can easily complete a game in under 2 hours

Unlikely to appeal to your wife, I suspect. If you do a search on !"gateway games" you'll find a lot of interesting games that play faster, and are likely to appeal to non0gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Morrisey
msg tools
I can see why you might think that, I'm not suggesting the game is for the complete novice but rather it would serve as a good bridge to more complicated games.

I tend to apprciate a game most when the rule set is elegant but allows for very complicated interaction. Twlight imperium and civilization are among my current favorites.

Since my wife now plays twilight I see no problems with her playing the portable galactic empires should be an easy one to learn and in comparison a quick game.

I suppose it's related to your normal expectation, I could play some games for a full 12 hour strech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad H.
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but wonder if this is just a blatant advertisement for this game.

New User: Check
Empty Profile: Check
Only Contribution: Check
Recommending One Game: Check
Title of the Game Mentioned way to many times: Check

I apologize if it's not meant to be free advertising but it sure reeks of it.

What is your relationship to the publisher and/or developer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Morrisey
msg tools
Jay,

My intent was to share my experience with a new game I played that I found to be enjoyable for some of the features I came across in it; I apologize if I came off like a cheesy ad it wasn't my intent.

I think the crux of the concern raised is that my post represents advertisement. It seems to me the main difference between a recommendation and an advertisement is the existence of a profit motive.

I have no profit motive, I'm not being paid in cash, incentives or any item of value be it tangible or intangible for my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayB wrote:
I can't help but wonder if this is just a blatant advertisement for this game.

You wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
JayB wrote:
this is just a blatant advertisement for this game.

You wonder?

Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jassari wrote:
I have no profit motive, I'm not being paid in cash, incentives or any item of value be it tangible or intangible for my opinion.

All right, but I can't help notice you avoided to answer what your relation to the publisher or designer is. And by the two posts after yours, I guess your disclaimer wasn't very convincing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.