Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: (Summer) School's Out For-EVER! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my 6-week summer-school stint, my 4th time in 5 years. Every year, I tell myself that I'll never go through that hell again, but every year the lure of about $2400 (net) pulls me back.

One thing I'll never understand: how some students will pay (or have their parents pay) for the privilege of correcting an 'F', spend the entire time sleeping and/or carrying on like it's a party, get on my bad side for the whole month and a half ... then act so stunned when they end up failing, as if they were deserving of a passing grade.

(I'd be concerned that some of my students were reading this, but I doubt any of them would visit any website that contained the word 'geek'.)


So, I finally get to enjoy my 'summer' off ... for a month. (And really, I'm not sleeping in until after the WBC. At least that's madness that I enjoy.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
One thing I'll never understand: how some students will pay (or have their parents pay) for the privilege of correcting an 'F', spend the entire time sleeping and/or carrying on like it's a party, get on my bad side for the whole month and a half ... then act so stunned when they end up failing, as if they were deserving of a passing grade.
Why is this surprising? To avoid an F in high school, you just have to be willing to sit in class, listen occasionally, and once in a while do some homework. If the students can't be bothered to do that during the school year, why would they change when summer school starts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Why is this surprising? To avoid an F in high school, you just have to be willing to sit in class, listen occasionally, and once in a while do some homework. If the students can't be bothered to do that during the school year, why would they change when summer school starts?

It's surprising to me only because regular school is 'free' to them (taxes, of course, pay for that). To pay money and still do nothing is just stupid and sad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not their money, it's their parent's money. And that appears like magic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Coyotek4 wrote:
Just finished my 6-week summer-school stint, my 4th time in 5 years. Every year, I tell myself that I'll never go through that hell again, but every year the lure of about $2400 (net) pulls me back.

I did the same thing earlier this summer. Yeah, it's kinda nuts, but at least it's over quickly.

Coyotek4 wrote:
One thing I'll never understand: how some students will pay (or have their parents pay) for the privilege of correcting an 'F', spend the entire time sleeping and/or carrying on like it's a party, get on my bad side for the whole month and a half ... then act so stunned when they end up failing, as if they were deserving of a passing grade.

Testify!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
then act so stunned when they end up failing, as if they were deserving of a passing grade.


Some, and I wish I was kidding, but this is my experience with summer school, think they deserve it just because they were there. "Dude, I wasted my summer, you have to pass me."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.