1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Your BEST games that are UNDERESTIMATED by other people! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: interesting [+] [View All]
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
No specific criteria, just what topic name says.

I am relatively new to the boardgaming, but I'll start off with Rage.
I think it deserves much better rating then 6. One of the reasons for such average rating probably lies in the fact that most people rated pre-Fundex versions of the game which are more chaotic and not as good as the Fundex edition.
I am sure you guys will come up with much better examples.

The reason for this topic is simply that I want to find out the gems that are hidden on a relatively low place on the rank list (for whatever reason).
I would appreciate if you could also explain why you think the game is undeservedly underestimated and what makes it so good to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb

There are lots of geeklists and about this. The term is "underrated".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ob...

You can check for your game collection under the Stats tab in your Profile page.

Examples from my collection wouldn't work, since I use a 3 rank system (never being a fan of the 10 rank one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
the geekers tend to rate simpler games lower even when they are very good in what they are. it seems like complexity gets a natural higher rating on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Most of my collection is underrated here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is the excellent two-handed card game/board game called Auf der Reeperbahn. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/166606.

Not only has this game been underestimated, its title has been undertranslated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Kameoka
United States
San Gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mb
I checked my ratings. I have 26 overrated games by BGG and 0 games underrated by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenland - this won the Spiel des Jahres back in 1998; it was my introduction to German games, and it's still one of my favorites. I like the route planning, the interaction with other players, and how you have to constantly adapt to board changes. It's also one of the few games that plays great with 6 players. I think it doesn't get as much love because it's an older game...and also because newer games that are vaguely similar, such as Ticket to Ride (by the same designer and also an SdJ winner), are popular and more readily available...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all relative; for games with 500-1000+ reviews, an average rating of 6 is pretty good. An 8 average would indicate an extraordinary game!

I feel Bang! is underrated. The game itself can be had for a few coin, it's easy to learn, and plays quickly. Everyone has a great time "BANG!"ing each other. Always a riot when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mislav wrote:

The reason for this topic is simply that I want to find out the gems that are hidden on a relatively low place on the rank list (for whatever reason).
I would appreciate if you could also explain why you think the game is undeservedly underestimated and what makes it so good to you!

It's unfortunate, because 90% of the top 200 here on the 'geek, are probably stellar games that I would love. Sprinkle in a few award winners here and there, and you probably have 300 games that if they stopped making boardgames tomorrow, we could all be still relatively happy with for the next 5-10 years...even at a game a night.

So, being really good isn't enough. You have to be AWESOME to be worthy anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it would be Avalon Hill's Up Front. I had so much fun with this game in the eighties, and it's an easy 10 to me, but not even pulling a 7.5 here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
nhojput wrote:
the geekers tend to rate simpler games lower even when they are very good in what they are. it seems like complexity gets a natural higher rating on the geek.

This is so true.
Currently, my (and my friend's) 2 favorite games are possibly the simplest ones: Perudo (Liar's dice) and Rage - so simple, yet so good. Absolutely everyone loves them. Perudo is a dice game but it's FAR from being only luck driven. Yep, luck can lose you some games but if you are good at estimating, reading your opponents and bluffing at proper times you are going to win more often then your opponents.
Same thing with Rage, although it is more chaotic (but soooo FUN).

I bought Puerto Rico few months ago and we still haven't even read the rules till the very end. Looks too tiring and unnecessarily complex and it's one of the top rated games here.

I was more careful after that, and therefore didn't buy some top favorites here, like Agricola, simply because I realized how complex they are.

I hope this topic will reveal to me some other hidden gems, preferably something along the lines of what I like. (if someone wants to look at my ratings)

I realize why "hardcore" gamers often prefer complex games here, they have both enough time, and proper gaming group, while I play with "regular" folks - my friends.

For hardcore games which can be studied and analyzed thoroughly I prefer 2 classics: chess and backgammon.
But with friends - we just wanna have fun! (though, we do like if the game awards the better player(s), so no completely luck-driven ones!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
Btw, some mentioned that they have quite a few games that they rate higher then their average BGG rating.
Of course, I have quite a few of these, too, but I simply want a few favorites of yours, that don't get nearly as much attention from other gamers but you absolutely LOVE them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I would say,

Cronberg, Die Dolmengötter and The Swarm are three really great games that I like and are not rated very highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I would say:

Container - I give it a 10 BGG user rating 6.83

Senator - I give it a 7 BGG user rating 5.55
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've rated quite a few games higher than their BGG rating score, including: Murdero, Carpe Astra, DungeonQuest , Army of Frogs , Wizard's Gambit , Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) , Tannhäuser.

They are all easy to learn and play and very thematic - I love theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor: I rate it a 10, BGG says 6.57. Brilliant abstract: 10 seconds to learn, a lifetime to master, gorgeous to look at, endlessly replayable.

Biblios: I rate it a 9, BGG says 6.71. It's the best card game of 2008, and I'm thrilled Dr. Finn has a distributor for it.

I think I am a tough rater, with a 5.4 average.

Other favourites others haven't mentioned:
Lectio - people always want one more game, and its wonderfully tactile
Enemy Chocolatier - cheap, clever, lots of conflict
Fictionary - hilarious & you can make yourself easily with an old dictionary & some paper
Ultimate - I play the sport, so the game was obvious (session report here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/375471)
Zendo - completely unique, makes me use my brain in a different way.
Santorini - I love original abstracts and independent designers
Oltre Mare - great bits, great mechanics, great name
Klunker - hand-management for dummies junkies
Court of the Medici - my new 2P favourite
Tin Soldiers - great 2P-vs-2P trick-taking game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Court of the Medici - my new 2P favourite

I really enjoy Court of the Medici as well and it surprised me as I just added it to a larger order and didn't expect much...easy to pick up the game play, plays very quickly, and inexpensive (less than $7 on-line)...yet it has some depth to it and rewards innovative thinking...

Also agree about Biblios...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
also.2 player only games tend to be rated lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seapower & the State is a 10 for me, not even ranked on BGG.

C.V. is a 10 for me, only a 5 on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are:

Freight Train
Louis XIV - although this one seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" game for most
Aquarius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
From my collection, they have to be:
Doom: The Boardgame, not sure why the low rating, I feel it's one of the best "dungeon-crawling" games. (although it's not 100% of that type)
And BattleTech, my all-time favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Louis XIV - although this one seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" game for most

I agree...I really enjoy that game but I have trouble getting it to the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for court of the Medici. Another game I like is queens necklace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic is pretty silly.
1. Every game is underrated by some people, even Agricola.
2. 6 is not a bad score, it basically says it is a good game.
3. Just because a game has a rating of 6 it doesn't stop you from enjoying it more than the average and rate it higher.
4. The whole "underrated" or "hidden gem" thought is silly. Just because a game with a rating of 6 is hidden gem for a particular player doesn't mean it is more of a hidden gem than another game with the score of 6 for which no one has claimed it to be a hidden gem. If a game has a solid rating and 100 people will buy and rate it, the average will be more or less 6 again. No matter if someone has declared it a hidden gem or not.

So, if you want to find a not so popular game which you will maybe like more than the average you have to look for what you like in a game and read lots of reviews, buy a few games and find the ones you like.
Asking others won't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
This topic is pretty silly.

There's frequently someone who chimes in with this [semantically correct] argument, but I think it misses the point that people like to sound off about games they like better than most other people do, particularly if the fans think others have overlooked something (incorrect rules, overlooked advanced rules, misplaced expectations, a variant, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.