Popular Tags: [View All]
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over several plays I've noticed that there are some killer combinations of starting position and starting technology and other combinations that will slow you way down. On almost all continents there are territories that if you start in them with Factories 1 (i.e. Communist or Monarchy), you can become impregnable quickly. OTOH, if you are playing with four on the eastern map or are playing eight on both maps, someone gets stuck starting in "Oceania". Without Factories 1, that player's growth is going to be severely stunted.

With that in mind, I've taken a page from the Settlers of Catan to offer the following start-up variant:

1) Each player rolls dice to see who goes first, High roll wins.

2) The first player selects either his starting form of government or
places his capital.

3) Proceeding clockwise, the remaining players choose form of government
if the first player chose form of government or place capitals if the
first player placed capital.

4) Once the last player has placed his capital, he chooses the first
form of government; the other players do likewise counter-clockwise.
Alternatively, once the last player has chosen his form of govern-
ment, he plcase the first capital; the other players choose likewise
counter-clockwise.

This way, if the last player "gets stuck" with the least desirable continent in which to place his capital, he gets first choice of the form of government - and starting technology - which best offsets that starting position. Or if the last player gets stuck with whatever form of governemnt - and starting technology - is left, he gets first choice of starting position to exploit it.

This has worked very well in the couple of games in which I've tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill, this is a great idea. We've been attempting to mitigate the disadvantage of setting up last by simply having the last player during the setup phase become the first player for turn 1. But your method looks like it would provide a little more balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other startup variants I'm toying with:

If you start with MINERALS, you can replace 1 destroyer with a sub and 1 artillery with a tank. This is equivalent to player starting with OIL getting an extra reserve.

If you are playing TOTAL WAR (12 turns), start with 5 territories (and 5 PP, and perhaps more units), including capital. If you are playing MAJOR WAR (9 turns), start with 4 territories (and 4 PP, and perhaps more unit) and for LIMITED WAR (6 turns), start per rules.

This may bring players into conflict with one another sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.