♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
We played Masons for the first time last night, and I found it interesting (if a little frustrating at times), but for most of the game, we just had one big honkin' city in the middle of the board. Each time someone would close off a new city, he or she would remove the single adjoining wall between the new city and the old one, just making the city larger, larger, larger ... etc.

Now, I realize that we may have made some strategy errors along the way (i.e., I had a bunch of "outside of completed cities" cards, but didn't take the opportunity to put stuff around far enough from the city to allow me more points during scoring), but is this normal for a first game? I only ask because the first time I played The Bridges of Shangri-La, we closed off the bridges FAST, and only after cutting ourselves off of most cities did we recognize the importance of timing in that game. Did we make the same mistake in Masons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, but not that often, you'll get the one big city.

A lot depends on players' initial deals of cards.

If all players start with strong "outside" cards, you can end a game without a single city ever being built, or maybe just one or two small cities.

The trick with the game is playing to your hand, or manipulating yourself into last if your hand doesn't work well with how the game is going.

If you don't have two very strong "inside" cards, then you probably shouldn't be linking your new city to the big one - You're probably helping others more than yourself.

Try it again - You may get a completely different game.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
but is this normal for a first game?
From my experience in teaching it to others I'd say yes, it is an obvious choice among new players. That may well change after gaining better comprehension of how the alternatives operate.

Another learner trait would be the rush to create a city as early as possible, where familiar players will wait a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.