United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 57th TGIF Poll
Have you ever bought a game solely because you wanted to add information about the game on BGG?

("Information" includes: Submitting the game if it's not in the database, adding pictures, supplying a review or rating, etc.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, I always find myself doing this.
1.7% 4
Yes, I've done this several times.
3.7% 9
I've done it once or twice, but not regularly.
14.1% 34
I haven't, but I would if I could find games without the necessary info on BGG.
13.7% 33
I can't say that I have ever done this and I don't think I would.
66.8% 161
Voters 241
How often do you check thrift stores for games?
I am a thrifting machine! I will drive miles out of my way just to check another thrift store.
4.5% 11
I won't go out of my way, but I can't pass by a Goodwill without stopping!
6.6% 16
I regularly stop into local thrift stores, but that's about it.
6.6% 16
I occasionally will check out a thrift store, but not on a regular basis.
27.2% 66
Once in a great while I'll look for games at a thrift store, but not very often at all.
35.0% 85
I've never looked for games in a thrift store.
20.2% 49
Voters 243
Have you ever bought a game that you are not interested in, solely because the price is so cheap?
Yes, I always find myself doing this.
3.3% 8
Yes, I've done this several times.
21.4% 52
I've done it once or twice, but not regularly.
39.9% 97
I haven't, but I would if I could find games with a low enough price tag.
13.2% 32
I can't say that I have ever done this and I don't think I would.
22.2% 54
Voters 243
This poll is now closed.   243 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 6, 2009 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Celebrated my son's "Star Wars" birthday and was properly kilted!
mbmbmbmbmb
The lure of geekgold keeps me picking up games at the thrift to take pictures of them to add to the geek. I haven't done it so much in last few months with the new baby, but back a few years ago I had a "problem".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I really need to qualify my answer on the third question, especially since I answered, "Yes, I've done this several times."

I'm on BGG a LOT, so I have a pretty good sense of what the "good games" are. Some of them may never pique my interest, but if I come across a game that has a high rating, or is well regarded by a BGGer whose opinions I respect, and it's on a discount, then I'll pick it up. This is how I got Masons for $20, Santa Fe Rails for $18, and 1835, 1856, and 1870 for $20 EACH. I doubt I would have bought any of these games if they hadn't been so cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all negative on this one. What I buy, I'll buy because I know I like it (or think I will). I've never gone to thrift stores for games - in fact, I'm not entirely sure what thrift stores are. I always go to the regular retailers for my games, be it virtual or brick & mortar stores.

I have at one point traded for a game that I pure got to trade away again. This was because I had a game I wanted to get rid of, and the only likely trader I could find had nothing for trade that I would want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the option for: "there are no thrift stores where I live, but on the rare occasion when I'm in a place that has them, I look for games first and foremost?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Where's the option for: "there are no thrift stores where I live, but on the rare occasion when I'm in a place that has them, I look for games first and foremost?"

Or the option, "I only enter thrift stores kicking and screaming when dragged in by somebody else, but if I am in a thrift store, I look for games and never find one worth a crap?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time we go near Goodwill I'm attracted to it. I don't know why. They never have good board games. But the computer games usually make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad thing is that the local thrift stores rarely carry any sort of game, much less anything that I would want (or that hasn't already been added to BGG).

This said, I have picked things up at yard/garage sales and in the gift shops of museums that I suspected were not in the BGG database. I've even been right a couple of times! Thanks to the BGG app and a recent phone switch to an iPhone, I have a much better idea of this now, which saved me a little bit of money at a Half Price Books in Houston last weekend.

As for buying games because the "price is right"? If there's a bit or bits that I need or if I know someone who wants the game, I will pick it up. Otherwise, I'm not spending money on something that will not see use. Example: I needed a spinner for a game design I'm working on and the spinner from The Game of Life is perfect for what I am doing (don't ask - it will show up some day... cool ). I found a devastated copy of the game at a garage sale in the neighborhood for $5.00. The game was in such bad shape that even the money could not be used, but the spinner - the part that I wanted - was in excellent shape. I offered a dollar, which the seller happily accepted, took it home to salvage the spinner (and the cars, if memory serves) for my "spare bits" supply and promptly dumped the rest into the recycling or trash (depending on whether the parts were paper or plastic).

In the past, I was not as picky, and have some pretty obscure titles in my collection as a result. These days, I have enough games that I no longer need to grab anything just to satisfy my desire to acquire new games (there are too many "new-to-me" games that I know I want to be guessing on obscure American published titles).

Now there is an exception - if the game was published overseas, I am going to take a much closer look. This is where the iPhone BGG app comes in handy. Last weekend, I saw Matador, a Swedish game that I was not familiar with. It turned out to be an edition of Monopoly, which, had I purchased it, would not have amused me. I took a couple of pictures and moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to see a game with a good sale price, and if it sounded like it might be interesting, I'd buy it. A couple of years ago I realized that I probably was never going to play most of the games I bought that way. I therefore instituted a new policy: I don't buy a game, even if it is on sale, unless it is on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend way too much time thrifting. I would say it has paid off, although my non-gamer spouse would disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting poll!

Of the 1280 game images I have submitted to BGG a huge majority were from thrift store purchases.

I am fascinated by board games. Just looking over the contents of odd games is fun... and I often learn something or get an interesting idea for a game.

I don't think of this as a "problem" and I don't intend to stop.

Most of the titles I pick up at thrift stores are donated to a charity or re-thrifted (is that even a word?) after I earn my GeekGold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a pristine and obviously unplayed copy of Jambo at the Goodwill for $1.99. No shrink, I took the time to inventory the components (complete) and bought it. No interest whatsoever in this game, not even to try it out. So, it is sitting on my trade list. :shrugs: Maybe I should have saved myself the trouble and money??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I recently picked up a pristine and obviously unplayed copy of Jambo at the Goodwill for $1.99. No shrink, I took the time to inventory the components (complete) and bought it. No interest whatsoever in this game, not even to try it out. So, it is sitting on my trade list. :shrugs: Maybe I should have saved myself the trouble and money??

No, you did a good deed! Now this game--one of a finite and ever-declining number of copies of Jambo available in the world today--can pass into the hands of a gamer who will value it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Yes in the early days I bought many a game so I could review it (first priority) and then play it (second priority). This is no longer an infliction I suffer from thank goodness.

d10-2 Never thrifted.

d10-3 Yes I have often bought a game that I am not overly interested in if the price is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

No, you did a good deed! Now this game--one of a finite and ever-declining number of copies of Jambo available in the world today--can pass into the hands of a gamer who will value it. Thanks!

Well, I did save it from the tape monkeys and before any of the components got lost!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the 3 people who said " Yes, I always find myself doing this. " to #1. For me, this means Print and Play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

This is my favorite 2 player hands down. You should at least give it a go, it's pretty easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.