Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very pleased with the reception of Descent Quest, so thank you to all who have tried and enjoyed it. But as you know, Road to Legend was left out of the base mod. Let's remedy that with an expansion!

I'm pretty busy lately with work and other side projects. What I'm looking for are dependable people who want to contribute content for this expansion. I'll assemble it but I don't see me having time to come up with much of it myself, if any.

Here's what I envision the mod containing:
1. New event cards that bring in elements of RtL.
2. New objective areas that bring in elements of RtL, quite possibly including lieutenants, avatars and/or campaign-leveled monsters.
3. New dungeon areas specific to all those crazy RtL tokens and map pieces. I want these to really go beyond the dungeon areas in the base mod. In other words, I'm hoping for some custom rule text to put on the cards. I'm also envisioning "outdoor" areas, much like how Tomb of Ice did it with one of the rumors.
4. It *could* contain stuff from other expansions but I really want to focus on RtL. You'd have to have a very compelling piece of content.

Specifically, here's what you'd be tasked with:
1. Submitting completed jpg images of dungeon / objective areas, along with any relevant text. Playtesting it prior to submission would be preferred, of course. Knowing how to spell is also a plus.

2. Submitting new event text.

3. Anything else you can think of that would be cool to bring in.

Anyone interested already has my email address since it's in the mod instructions. Please don't say you are interested if you don't actually intend to contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,
Your work so far on Descent - Quest is nothing short of outstanding! I'm only vaguely familiar with descent (I have all of it except 'Tomb of Ice'), but I am very keen on WHQ and have numerous house rules created for it.

With regards to your ask for help, I can only offer a conversion of monster type to Descent Quest from WHQ, starting with the skaven. I can, if you like, convert all skaven stats from WHQ to DQ (including abilities). I'm not sure if this helps in any way at all but I can only offer... Can I say however, that if you manage to bring out a set of campaign rules for DQ, I will probably end up playing nothing else!

As an aside, have you thought of making the heroes more 'permanent'? In so far as giving them a career path, new skills, levelling up, etc? The group I game with tends to become very attached to their heroes and likes to stick with them for the entirety of a campaign. Descent tends to favour random heroes just to get the job done. I'm not sure how far you want to take a campaign structure, but the more indepth the better in my view...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like the game! I have not entertained any thoughts of bringing in campaign rules. I feel that Road to Legend does a great job of a campaign as it is, but of course RtL doesn't work without an overlord. I've never really played the campaign rules for WQ, so I'd have to look them over to see what could be done.

As for monster conversions, that would be interesting to transfer them to Descent's rules, although I'd guess that many already have equivalents.

If no one wants to create stuff for this, I'll probably do it myself at some point. I couldn't say when, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Cool. My group just enjoys the DM role as opposed to the OL role. You are already 3/4 of the way there (intentionally or unintentially) with your excellent Descent Quest variant.

I am the experienced gamer in our group (of 6), the others are casual gamers that perhaps need a little direction I understand your reluctance to adapt WHQ monsters to Descent Quest, fair enough. I would love my heroes to travel Terrinoth, levelling up, training, learning new skills, to become more fearsome as a campaign wears on, to face the increasingly difficult dungeons the DM (not OL) is going to throw at them...

I have never played WHQ without a DM and would love to play Descent Quest the same way (maybe it's just me). However it pans out, I cant thank you enough for the inspiration you have engendered and the ruleset you have already created!

I don't expect you to leap to my defence and agree with the direction my group prefers, I just thought if you were to go down the DM route (with regards to campaign structure), then I would love it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you get the urge and do the rules for it yourself, I'll be happy to include them in the "official" rules if you want.

Of course, you could just as easily publish them here yourself. It's pretty cool when a mod gets a mod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey H
United States
sa
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Which programs did you use to build the map fragments? I'm looking forward to creating some of my own :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TileSystem. Search the official forum and you'll find links to it and the relevant art files. It's easy to modify it to support new map pieces and components, you just have to edit some text files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey H
United States
sa
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I've made some progress on the Road to Legend Expansion for DQ. I've decided to create it in a wiki format... at least until I'm far enough along to print something..
I'd rather not make the link public just yet, don't want to saturate my bandwidth :P
If you'd like to take a sneak peek, PM message me on here and I'll send you the link to the rough draft :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to give everyone an update on this. I am not personally working on it since I'm tied up with another side project unrelated to Descent.

The good news is that there are TWO separate Descent Quest Road to Legend variants being worked on. Each one is attempting to automate the Overlord's upgrade path, how encounters and dungeons are handled, etc.

Assuming both of these projects come to fruition, it's quite possible that people will get to play Road to Legend in a full cooperative mode for the first time. That will be pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.