United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night was the first ever meeting of my latest gaming club: PASOS (Pennsylvania Society of Steam). Yes, I know the name is lame and I am open to suggestions. Anyhow, we (I) decided to start things off with the Steam Brother's South America map. I was joined by Jef and Louis, who had both played Age of Steam before, but had not played for some time, and Dan, another experienced player. I chose the South America map because I had read that it was a medium difficulty map and because the rules changes were not that drastic.

For starters, Mountain hexes cost $6 to build in. Also, the Blue New City is removed from the game, leaving Buenos Aires as the only Blue City on the board. And that's not all that is special about Buenos Aires. First, every turn, Buenos Aires receives a random cube from the bag during Goods Growth. Second, if any player ships a good through, to, or from Buenos Aires they have to pay $1/cube to the bank. Unless, that is, a player has chosen the "El Presidente" action. "El Presidente" replaces the "Turn Order" action, and if a player chooses this, they get the money if a player utilizes Buenos Aires (and they do not have to pay $1 if they use it).

Louis and Jef arrived around 6pm so that I could teach the game and to help me to setup. By the time Dan showed up, we were basically ready to go. And major kudos to both Jef and Louis who, as newcomers, did a great job in the game.

Here is a picture taken at the end of the game:

And the final results were:

Brad (Red) 96+25(track)=121
Louis (Yellow) 63+26(track)=89
Dan (Black) 57+25(track)=82
Jef (Blue) 30+14(track)=44

And now for the stuff that I can remember about the game:

I started off the game by issuing 2 shares and Urbanizing Concepcion with New City H. I linked it to Santiago and built across the mountains to Mendoza and started an incomplete link to Cordoba. Jef started out in the upper right corner of the board. Dan started in the lower right, quickly connecting to Buenos Aires. Louis started near Asuncion.

Over the course of the game, I was able to keep up with the ramp up of shipments, with progressive 2,3,4,5,6 links and then, for the final 3 turns of the game, I was shipping cubes 6 links from Asuncion to Santiago or from Asuncion to New City H nearly every turn. In the middle of the game, some key 4 and 5 link shipments were also provided via my linkage to Buenos Aires.

I had a really good time playing this map. I am not sure how great the "El President" role is, but it did provide an extra twist to the game and it also led to some great jokes and chit chat during the game. I did grab the role once and it allowed me to build track that, if I had had to pay for Buenos Aires, I would not have been able to do (unless I went backwards on the income track, which is allowed).

I will note that I basically had control of the game by with about 3 turns remaining. I have read the most of the Steam Brothers maps play best with 5 or 6 players, and this is probably not an exception to the rule. However, with beginners to the game, I wanted to pick a map that would be open enough for people to make some mistakes, and I think that this map was great for that. I get tired of playing the Rust Belt when I have so many other maps to play, and the minor rules changes and thematic elements that the Brothers add to their maps make them great teaching maps!

Thanks to Jef, Louis, and Dan for coming over and look forward to many great sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about just PASS, Pensylvania Steam Society?

Or Pensylvania Steam Society for Games And Stuff which helpfully abbreviates to PASS GAS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, PASOS has a nice ring to it, don't you think? And PASS(ing) GAS just isn't the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
punkzter wrote:
I get tired of playing the Rust Belt when I have so many other maps to play, and the minor rules changes and thematic elements that the Brothers add to their maps make them great teaching maps!

I don't think you can get tired of playing a map that you never play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marshall
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you need an acronym? Just call your group the Pennsylvania Bohrered Gamers (named after John Bohrer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crashcart wrote:
punkzter wrote:
I get tired of playing the Rust Belt when I have so many other maps to play, and the minor rules changes and thematic elements that the Brothers add to their maps make them great teaching maps!

I don't think you can get tired of playing a map that you never play!

Brad played in two recent VASSAL sessions on the Rust Belt map. Both will be posted as "turn by turn" session reports soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Brad played

...and lost miserably. Which is the real reason why I don't like the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading old reviews form AOS.

Dont know if the society still exists. But PASOS mean STEPS in Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.