Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My one and only AT at this time is Arkham Horror. Unfortunately, it is a co-op. I didn't realize how much this can take away from a game with respect to individual character development and exploration. There just isn't a lot of time to "explore" and power-up your character.

I'm looking for a game with a table-top RPG-esque character progression that plays best with three or four and, of course, takes several hours to play. I'm also looking for something with the exploration part like Arkham Horror. I know that's "gamey", but I'm looking for it. I don't really want a dedicated "gamemaster" involved (down go many choices). I don't need Tolkien-esque fantasy either (edit: but I don't mind it).

Am I stuck with Runebound? I was not very fond of talisman at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Prophecy, not sure if it's too Tolkien-esque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't quite meet all of your requirements, but I'm having a lot of fun with Tales of the Arabian Nights right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An oldie that has a lot of interesting stuff going on in it is City of Chaos. It's got a lot of exploration, and as you play, you join guilds to change how your character plays. It's out of print, but wasn't that popular.

If you play by the written rules, it can take a while, but you can make some house rules to speed up movement which will also speed up the game. My basic house rule is that I remove all tiles that are just paths, so that you can engage with the buildings more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Sounds like Prophecy, not sure if it's too Tolkien-esque.

I don't mind elves and dwarves as one might gather from my statement; they just aren't required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game... Much more interactive and immersive than Talisman or Runebound... Definite RPG qualities, in so far as you're levelling up, exploring around the board to complete quests... It's a really underrated game, IMHO...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the Runebound (Second Edition) series.

It lacks character development, but it is enjoyable as a quest game of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I like World of Warcraft: The Boardgame a lot. Character development is very deep for a boardgame. It is a team game though - not every orc for himself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I does sound like Runebound (Second Edition) would be the game for you. It is MUCH better than Talisman, and with all the expansions available you can make every session different. With four players it will be a very long game though, 4-5 hours is my guess. I ususally play it two-player and this takes us 3-4 hours. The Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim expansion is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Plungin' is quite light but might fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably stuck with Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Runebound (Second Edition), or Prophecy.

You could also give A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game a try. Might not be exactly what you want though...

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes might interest you. Similar to Runebound, Talisman, and Prophecy, but has some of its own flavor. It's probably my favorite of those "adventure" games.

Although I haven't played it in the "every player for him/her self" mode, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game might work for you, too.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to stick with Runebound. Prophecy had some of the things I don't like about talisman going for it. It's ok to be "stuck" with one recommendation I guess. It's better than none!

If I see an opportunity to try to the Warcraft game, I will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
Although I haven't played it in the "every player for him/her self" mode, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game might work for you, too.

Good Luck!

This game does seem interesting for a different need fulfillment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.