Subject: Best Investigators for a "Teaching Game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ArkHor [+] [View All]
D Diamondrock
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hey all,

First post here in the forums at the site, so forgive me if I'm breaking any protocals.

Here's where things stand: I picked up Arkham Horror last year at Gen Con but never got around to playing it until just recently. It suddenly struck me one day that the game can be played solo, so I finally hauled it out and got going. I've been having a blast even though I haven't won a game yet.

I'm here for advice more than strategy, as my sister and her boyfriend are coming to visit tonight and if possible I'd like to try and teach them how to play so I can finally play other than solo. I'm wondering what the best investigators are for a "teaching game." I haven't tried them all out myself yet, so I'm not sure who would be the most succesful. I'm basically looking for characters who have some greater survival chance when played by someone new to the game.

Any other ideas for a "teaching game" would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- D -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell Simmons and Bob Jenkins. No spells to mess with, solid starting gear. Jenny Barnes or Amanda Sharpe if your sis doesn't want to play a male investigator. Of course, if you want to sugar-coat the whole experience and just molest the GOO , Joe Diamond and Mandy Thompson, but I wouldn't go that route (heck, even with n00bs I'd use single random, you drew it, you play it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Kate and Harvey. Kate can prevent the game from getting away from new players and Harvey can stick around longer without going insane; although, his stamina can be a problem.

Jenny is a money machine, which is always nice when the investigators are short on weapons, and she starts next to Curiosity Shoppe. Darrel is popular for the same reason, but his retainer can be lost, unlike Jenny's trust fund. His special ability can ease the pain of new players, too.

Someone with a high fight or lore to prevent failing a check to close and seal a gate at a crucial time.

I like Bob, too. He has a nice combo of fight/will, so he can usually pass horror checks and then defeat the monster. He starts in the General Store, so if his at-start items aren't very good, he can try to buy more at the beginning.

Agree with Rauli about Joe and Mandy. They're the easy answer, but might give a false impression of the difficulty of the game.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd want to use investigators who have one or no spells (they
re finicky to new players) and abilities that are either automatic or constant. Also, characters without abilities or items that bend core rules (Mary's blessing or Joe's extra clue-die) would be best.

Good choices from the base game:
Amanda Sharpe (well-rounded; no real weaknesses; ability used rarely)
Carolyn Fern (heal 1 sanity per round)
Darrell Simmons (draw 2 town encounters and pick one)
Gloria Goldberg (draw 2 other world encounters and pick one)
Jenny Barnes ($1 per turn)
Kate Winthrop (gates and monsters can't appear on her)
Mandy Thompson (one re-roll on anyone per turn)
Michael McGlen (all stamina losses reduced)

Some others can be debated, but I think these are generally accepted as good starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Tibs advocates against spell-casters in his Boot Camp (at least IIRC). New players have enough on their plate without adding Spells, which suck Sanity and don't necessarily work, they might get annoyed and whatnot, especially if forced to rely on Spells for combat. Jenny does start with one, but she can usually get a weapon on turn 1 if not during setup. Her slow movement might cause issues as well (Harvey is in the same category). For balls to the wall action with little brains, Michael McGlen is tried and tested laugh .

EDIT: Tibs'd !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mandy and Michael are always my choices for teaching newbies. They are easy to use and you have a good fighter nd a good gate closer. The special ability of Mandy's comes in very useful too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
girlgamergeek wrote:
Mandy and Michael are always my choices for teaching newbies. They are easy to use and you have a good fighter nd a good gate closer. The special ability of Mandy's comes in very useful too.

If asked who is the single best "new player" character, I think of McGlen immediately. Killing monsters is not directly related to winning the game, but it is certainly helpful. In a group of newbies, there is usually at least one guy who wants to be the monster mangler too, which is convenient. Plus, McGlen gives them the perfect opportunity to understand and respect the Horror Check.

Dam the Man wrote:
Tibs'd !

Nice. I am a verb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of monsters, here's how to explain how many dice you'll want to kill them:

Dice needed = (Toughness * 3) + Combat modifier

The "3" comes from the 1/3 success rate. It becomes "2" when a character is blessed.

Also, for new players, I use this house rule: "You may place the sliders on any value during your first turn." Very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Diamondrock
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to put it to good use later tonight.

I played another solo game earlier and managed to pull out a win for the first time. I posted the rundown over in the Sessions forum if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Also, for new players, I use this house rule: "You may place the sliders on any value during your first turn." Very useful.

Actually, I think that's in the real rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.