3 Posts

Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time at F&F rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, LOTR F&F just came in last night, and I finally got the chance to play it today. Here's how it went. Sauron on 15, 2 hobbits.

Bag End: Frodo and Sam take some additional preparations, roll 2 foes. No problem, since they were easy foes (orcs of the white hand + faces of the dead), Frodo killed them right off the bat, whilst Sam hid the party from the nazgul.

Bree: Well, starting off, Frodo met Farmer Maggot and collected a ring token, so that when we got to the prancing pony we could find Gandalf's letter. Sam then continued along the same line, collecting Barliman Butterbur, and using him to collect Strider and the Firebrand. Soon, we met Tom Bombadil, but didn't use him to kill any foes, since Frodo and Sam were killing them as fast as they came in. However, our foe-killing was stymied afterwards, as Barrow wights and Old man willow came in afterwards, and we were low on wilds. However, Tom Bombadil got us well-hidden by the time the Nazgul struck at bree, collecting us Bill the pony. However, soon they had struck at weathertop, and although Frodo fought well, Sam was unable to do so (no shields!), and so corrupted somewhat. After that, we collected Glorfindel, and finished the scenario, having completed all 3 lines, killed 10 foes, and 4 events. However, the foe-killing had taken its toll on Frodo and Sam, and they had corrupted up to 4, whilst Sauron had moved a space.

At Rivendell, we enjoyed a well-deserved break, although we missed out on Boromir, Legolas, mithril, and Mirurivor. After taking council (and finally killing old man willow...), we formed the fellowship, and headed off to the mines. (Sure, I could have used firebrand to kill off the barrow wight and skip the mines, but I wanted all those Lothlorien cards.)

Moria: This was a major disaster. First of all, several foes came out that we couldn't really kill without using feature cards. (The discard 2 travel, then discard 2 friendship) In addition, several events came in, which we were not well-prepared for. After discarding a double wild to speak and enter, frodo couldn't hide from the watcher in the water, and the only way sam could hide was by discarding the book. So, 2 die rolls later, our 2 hobbits corrupted even more. After killing the hill-trolls and cave-trolls, Frodo got the pipe from event 3, (although he had to discard Glamdring to do it), and used that to kill another foe. Sam then drew an activity tile, killed the corsairs of umbar, killed the discard 2 travel foe, and used his turn to finally kill the barrow wight. However, we couldn't do all this killing, and still keep up with events, so we were quickly Trapped, for which Frodo used Gandalf's letter to call for defiance, we fought off the enemy when Orcs Attacked, and Sam took the blow at Fly you fools! After the scenario, we had killed a total of 20 foes, (with no foes currently showing) and both Frodo and Sam were around space 9. On the bright side, Sauron was still at space 14.

Lothlorien gave us a good chance to recover, with both hobbits healing a space on the corruption line. After passing the test of galadrial, we headed off to confront Saruman at Isenguard.

Isengard went very nicely. Unfortunately, we couldn't collect treebeard (actually, I chose not to, because we had very few cards, and Frodo couldn't really afford a die roll), so Sauron moved forward. However, priority #1 was to finish travelling and collect pipeweed, and that worked out beautifully, with travelling finished before event 2 even came up. When Frodo drew a friendship tile, Sam used the belt to keep him from rolling, and then we focused our attentions to the main track. Events were few and far between, so we pushed to within one space of the end, whilst killing plenty of foes (as a side note, Mountain trolls came out, so Sam discarded all of his 1 shields to kill it.) After a few turns, we were one space away from the end, with 5 events left. So, Frodo and Sam stalled, because we really wanted Gandalf the white and pipeweed. Soon enough, event 2 came up, and a white card was drawn from the deck... Also, event 3 came up quickly as well, and we instantly got pipeweed. After that, frodo considered using determination, but we decided to look at the next tile... and it was a fighting, which we used to finish the scenario, with one foe left in the deck, and no foes showing.

Skipping helm's deep, we revealed the last foe, brought the black gate into play, (as well as the one ring) and revealed 3 more foes. Then, Sam used firebrand, and Frodo summoned Gandalf for firestorm, killing all but a one corruption foe, which Sam then defeated. Discarding the book, we then skipped Shelob's lair, and marched into Mordor.

Mordor was pretty easy. We started off by healing when Sam saved Frodo, then Sam played a pair of double travels, which Frodo matched with Gandalf the white and Elven rope. 5 spaces from the end, Sam checked the next tile... event. But then, Frodo used determination, gathering his 5th shield, and advancing to 4 from the end, and then a ring roll + integrity finished off the main line.

Sam then rolled the die for mount doom... Sauron Eye. So, he played pipeweed to bring frodo back from death (I know, unnecessary, but it fits the character of the game), defeated the wolf riders (just because he could), and the final score was 99!

So, it was tense, but we pulled it through, and with a great score as well. One question though. If sam rolls the die and gets the 2 foes symbol, does he reveal one foe, or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
One question though. If sam rolls the die and gets the 2 foes symbol, does he reveal one foe, or two?

Just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Sam then rolled the die for mount doom... Sauron Eye. So, he played pipeweed to bring frodo back from death (I know, unnecessary, but it fits the character of the game), defeated the wolf riders (just because he could), and the final score was 99!

That's a lot of Shields, since the Black Gate took back those killed Foes. At least I don't think they count, I've always only counted Foes actually in the discard pile so BG kicking in tends to lower the score; doesn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.