Subject: A Wargame about the Middle Ages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know much about wargames, except the famous ones. Are there any good ones set in the Middle Ages? That's the historical period I'm interested in. Also, are there any wargames that simulate raiding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires of the Middle Ages is a fairly high level (strategic) game that is not just about warfare.

Best regards, David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in tactical battles, then Men of Iron, may be interesting to you.

Good Gaming~! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God and Crusader Rex are both fun.

Hmm can't think of many with raiding. Check out Britannia - this game simulates invasions of Britain from the Romans to the Normans. Some armies can choose to either land and start growing population or retreat to their boats (ie just raid).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Warriors of God is High Middle Ages, though it is very much at the strategic level (leaping to the conclusion anything during the 100 Years War could be associated with the word "strategy"). If you're looking for skirmish-level in that time period, you may need to look to miniatures rulesets to get it.

Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 (they gotta shorten that name) is crusades and still on pre-order in spite of clearing its magic number recently. Likely Christmas delivery and you can still get it at pre-order price. Not a lot of review material on it though -- a bit of a pig in a poke for the moment.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Viking Raiders" is great fun. It's in the Standard Games/Eurogames "Cry Havoc" series. Check it out on BGG and look at the linked sites.

Man-to-man, with warrior type well-differentiated. Includes multiple Longships for ship-to-ship or ship-to-shore mayhem. Highly recommended.

For something at a larger (battle) level (no raiding, though), see the brand-new "Chainmail" from Worthington.

Since you're interested in raiding, you might also consider miniatures. There are many good rule sets out there. In particular, the miniatures rules books "Pig Wars" and "Strandhogg" are very much raiding/skirmish games.

"Old Glory Shipyard"/Merrimack Miniatures offers 15mm-scale Viking and Saxon ships. A number of manufacturers offer 15mm Vikings, Saxons and even villagers and livestock. There are also larger 25/28mm figure lines put out by several firms.

Alternatively, look at "Plastic Soldier Review" website for references to 20mm plastic figures by Revell, Emhar, Esci and others. I believe it's Emhar which is now releasing a Viking ship in 20mm to go with the figures. There's also a box of Viking oarsmen for the ship.

These plastic figures are inexpensive and readily available. Only cautionary word has to do with painting--plastic figures need to be particularly carefully prepared and primed, and only acrylic paints should be used on them if you want the paint job to hold up to handling.

The figures can easily be based on metal washers or plastic bingo chips so that they have a standard frontage and don't topple over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires of the Middle Ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Also check into Britannia. Maybe not a traditional wargame but recreates the whole sweep of English medieval history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skirmishing & man to man scale in this era is a lot of fun with miniatures. Raids on a village or keep, etc look good on the table.

http://theminiaturespage.com/med.mv

is a place to start; there are numerous rules, many home-brew & free. Plastic toy figures are a cheap way to start too. The 54mm scale "Marx" style look good. Or 1/32nd scale.

One suggestion is Pig Wars; "When Men were Men, and Pigs were Money." Its nominally a Dark Ages set, but raids are not exactly high chivalry.

Another is "Battlelust."

You can get opinions on rules sets on the medieval forum:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/boards.mv?period=med
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raid in a campaign game w/ pics:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new one out now: Chainmail that looks quite interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291.

It's a 2P CDG covering campaigns in the Middle East (circa 1097 and 1291 AD). Christian Knights going toe-to-toe with the mighty Muslim Empire. Doesn't get more middle-aged than this...

(edit: spelling)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there David,

A Book of Sandhurst Wargames has "Aquitaine" which is both Mediaeval and raiding.... I think a revised version is available from http://www.soa.org.uk/store/store_games/.

Ages since I played, but seem to remember both fun and relatively simple.

Regards,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I don't really know much about wargames, except the famous ones. Are there any good ones set in the Middle Ages? That's the historical period I'm interested in. Also, are there any wargames that simulate raiding?

Are you interested in strategic or tactical games?

Strategic level. I don't do a lot with this game level, but I do like the block games:
Crusader Rex
Hammer of the Scots
(eventually, we'll see Richard III: The Wars of the Roses)

We've used Kingmaker as a framework for a miniatures campaign.

Tactical level:
BattleLore is probably one of the most approachable ones.
Ancient Battles Deluxe includes a number of battles from the ancient and medieval periods
Men of Iron is a Richard Berg game with a system reminiscent of the Great Battles of History series
Barons' War is by Rob Markham who also did....
the Crossbow and Cannon series is one of my favorites, but they're all out of print. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34463

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my all-time favorites is still Kingmaker (set during the Wars of the Roses), especially with the variant event cards. And if you want raiding... well you can steal control of the heirs.

Wotan produced a number of games set in the middle ages, some with more of an economic focus some with a grander scale such as Excalibur, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and Sorcerer King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A raid is obviously a tactical scale. So a game with a time scale of seconds to minutes, and a ground scale of yards to tens of yards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pig Wars: When Men Were Men and Pigs Were Money would be a great set of raid miniatures rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Medieval

This is a sort of Empires of the Middle Ages lite, just got this myself and keen to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Another vote for Pig Wars for raiding games.

For medieval warfare I tend towards miniatures, and enjoy playing Basic Impetus/Impetus and De Bellis Antiquitatis as well as Skjaldborg (also free).

There are a wealth of cheap plastic 1/72 figures these days, and they've got some for the Middle Ages. Metal figs in 6mm, 10mm and 15mm can be had cheaply as well, though they require painting (I don't mind unpainted plastic figs, but for some reason unpainted metal figs bother me lol)

Another set of rules that work pretty well are the Games Workshop The Lord of the Rings: Strategy Battle Game. Drop out the fantasy stuff and there is a decent set of rules there that can handle pretty large skirmish action.

Never been much boardgame wise that I had much interest in. Kingmaker got a lot of play back in the day, and the Cry Havoc series was decent.
Britannia seems pretty good, I've watched a game or two and read a bit about it but haven't managed to play myself yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You've stimulated my ongoing search for good skirmish level rules.

These suffer from the usual problem of tedious factor-counting for morale etc, but are well organized and have integrated seige & campaign rules:

http://www.hisentco.com/Private/Pages/Downloads.html

Knights & Knaves
More Knights & Knaves
Castles, Cogs, & Chevauchees

Someone needs to come up with a system that accounts for the interesting small-level details that go into man to man level morale, but solves the factor counting problem.

Maybe the items should be grouped into minor, moderate, major categories, and a number of cards drawn...

Maybe one card per item, and if the sum of the values of the cards exceeds some total (based on minor/moderate/major) then the figure fails the test...

So the cards would have a variety of values creating an odds curve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of candidate rules here:

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/index.php?page=medieval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's so many good suggestions I have trouble keeping track. Crusader Rex, Empires of the Middle Ages and Kingdom of Heaven sound exactly like what I'm looking for, and with a reasonable budget.

I've played Warriors of God and BattleLore before. I thought Warriors of God felt too repetitive and long, while I couldn't really feel the theme.

Thanks everybody! I'll keep this in mind next time I purchase a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only man-to-man medieval board war games I know of are in the Cry Havoc series: Cry Havoc, Siege, Outremer & Viking Raiders. There are raiding scenarios in all of them. IMHO, many of the answers given above do not actually respond to your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worthington Games just published Chainmail this week. It is still available at pre-order prices right now.
The box cover say right on it: Medieval Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex777 wrote:
The only man-to-man medieval board war games I know of are in the Cry Havoc series: Cry Havoc, Siege, Outremer & Viking Raiders. There are raiding scenarios in all of them. IMHO, many of the answers given above do not actually respond to your question.

There are a few other games, although I cannot seem to dig the names out of my sleep deprived brain.

One is about mounted combat. Comes in a yellow box. Jousting is included.

There are a couple of games about tournaments. One has little paper tents!

Several euro-type games use various aspects of medieval life as a basis for the 'slapped on' theme (Carcasonne?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.