Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, the news was all over GD Chicago and the staff had a difficult time dropping hints and not sounding completely foolish. Also, a Powerpoint presentation was shown to sales staff with the old SH logo morphing into a new one.

Thus: the 'mystery box' in August is, indeed, Space Hulk. The only question remains what the 'never done by GW before' aspect is and the most popular conclusion is pre-painted miniatures (which keeps 40K Tyranid and Marine players from using them and not buying the normal Citadel minis. Bottom line. Whatever.)

It only took 20 years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I wonder what the new logo looks like?

This has me actually giddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that this may be a limited release and possibly only available through a GW retail store. Does anyone know if that's been confirmed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, yes. There's supposedly going to be a limited number and once they're gone, they're gone. Official product announcement on the weekend of 8/15 with a ship date in September. No advanced orders. No web orders. Everything has to be done through a GW outlet. Not sure if they'll extend that to FLGS's that carry GW.

I have a hard time believing that sales conditions will remain this restrictive once it sells out. I imagine the demand is going to be enormous, not only from long-time Rogue Trader/40K players, but also from the boardgame audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Jackwraith wrote:
Everything has to be done through a GW outlet.

Bummer, that's over an hour drive for me. And I have no other reason to go in that direction.

It sure seems silly to me that this would be a limited edition and not sold in every LFGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hal wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

How would one locate the nearest GW outlet?

Store Finder
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/search.jsp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal wrote:

On the US website, the store finder is at: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/search.jsp

Edit: Man, I'm slow today I guess. Anyway, I'm assuming they will allow FLGS's that they already do business with to get in on the deal. AFAIK there aren't any more GW stores in Colorado, so I hope so anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sucks! After all these years they finally remake it and make it a limited edition so only some can get it and of course making it again even rarer and even more expensive to buy. Cool cool sobluebut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HA HA!

Like I said... I'll believe it when I'm opening the box.

I'll never understand that company's stupid ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:

Well, heck, with the U.S. Headquarters, a Battle Bunker and a couple of GW stores all within a half-hour of me, I should be covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the limited edition, only available through GW outlets a confirmed thing? If so, this is a horrible move by GW. Why do it that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
Initially, yes. There's supposedly going to be a limited number and once they're gone, they're gone. Official product announcement on the weekend of 8/15 with a ship date in September. No advanced orders. No web orders. Everything has to be done through a GW outlet. Not sure if they'll extend that to FLGS's that carry GW.

I have a hard time believing that sales conditions will remain this restrictive once it sells out. I imagine the demand is going to be enormous, not only from long-time Rogue Trader/40K players, but also from the boardgame audience.

They've got to find some way to:

1. Screw over their customers
2. Make all the old Space Hulk players feel compelled to buy another set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dwculp wrote:
Is the limited edition, only available through GW outlets a confirmed thing? If so, this is a horrible move by GW. Why do it that way?

Because they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I'll never understand that company's stupid ideas.

Renewing of some copyright or trademark or other legal thing, I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixed feelings here, If it is Space Hulk it wouldnt make sense to limit the run to the the alleged 20'000. That would count a lot of people out, me included, unless you would be willing to pay a premium on Ebay where a lot of those boxes would end up.
Unless the Spacehulk release is a seperate from the september 'mystery box'.

Im not sure what GW marketing is all about but it feels more like frustration than excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
redeye wrote:
Mixed feelings here, If it is Space Hulk it wouldnt make sense to limit the run to the the alleged 20'000. That would count a lot of people out, me included, unless you would be willing to pay a premium on Ebay where a lot of those boxes would end up.
Unless the Spacehulk release is a seperate from the september 'mystery box'.

Im not sure what GW marketing is all about but it feels more like frustration than excitement.

I'n not a GW fan, but I am a Space Hulk fan. I don't closely follow GW but there seems to be love/hate relationship from the customer base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I am not a GW or Warhammer 40K fan but I am a huge Space Hulk fan and regret getting rid of all my stuff years ago. If the limited release/only available in stores rumor is true I will be pissed. This cuts off a huge portion of the base that would buy it. Many people dont live near a GW retail store, this makes it incredibly difficult to get a copy of the set.

The ONLY reason I see for doing this is to get people into the retail stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they only release in GW retail stores I will be extremely pissed. I have put off buying one of the old versions from Ebay until I found out if this rumor was true. I would love to get a new version but, based on the store locator, I would have to drive to another state to find a GW retail store.

Even if I were to do that, is it going to be some no-reserve, stand in line, midnight release crap? I really hope this limited release stuff isn't true. I mean, who would sit around a table thinking up a re-release strategy for a highly sought after out of print game and finally decide on this? angry

So instead of paying big $$ on Ebay for an old version, I will get to pay big $$ on Ebay for a new version... Great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally ok with the 1st edition copy that I bought last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Until it actually hits shelves it is all still smoke and mirrors from GW.

I wouldnt get too overly upset just yet on possible marketing ploys till they actually come out and announce something. They can always go with a worse plan than we are imagining... ahem...
The rumor of an exceedingly limited print run seems more than suspect though. But this is GW we are talking about and sane marketing decisions and GW do not oft ride the same tram...

As for the "never been done before" line. Assuming they follow through on that. What then? Pre painted seems the most likely track.

But a part of me wonders if they are planning some collectible mini trap.

Anything is possible really.

Maybee its just a box with the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The never done before rumor was a mistranslation of a slide presented during the Russian games day and the correct translation should have been "Theres nothing like it out now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
Moscow (Postal Code 115597)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Hal wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Store Finder

No Russia, great! angry How am I supposed to get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have the same problem. If it is a limited run, then there is no incentive to provide support or future/reprinted expansions. How will this be much different than adding a few thousand more copies to the secondary market for an OOP game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imploded wrote:
Helljin wrote:
Hal wrote:
Jackwraith wrote:

Store Finder

No Russia, great! angry How am I supposed to get it?

Invade England?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
I still have the same problem. If it is a limited run, then there is no incentive to provide support or future/reprinted expansions. How will this be much different than adding a few thousand more copies to the secondary market for an OOP game?

Well exactly.

In all likelyhood this wont be Space Hulk even though it appears a lot GW staff have been hinting that it is. Everybody wants a non LE Space Hulk.

In my opinion GW biggest problem is the lack of meaningfull communication (as not an advert) that relates to their customers.They have a lot of loyal fans but theres no official forum, podcasts (very few) etc while at the same time they seem to come down hard on fan creation. Not healthy.

Saying all that If I ever manage to get my hands on a plastic tiled 3rd edition Space Hulk, if one exists, I will be very happy.

(although I will be using 1st edition rules ),
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.