Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just a quick update on things. It's been a pretty hectic summer and I've been working on a couple of other designs, the most notable being Downturn which has its roots in 1960 and, oddly enough, 1830. It's a mishmash and has been a great design to try and put together. Anyhow, that's been my main focus which is why I've had some delay in producing some more material for Bindle Rails.

That said, the delay has been invigorating and I've had a few ideas for opening the game up from the solo experience it is into a more competitive cube laying game. I plan on keeping the rules I've introduced with the Third Expansion Set and adding a few other twists.

In the works:

- (Hopefully) A multi-player expansion of the Northeastern US based on the expansion rules with a stock/share system added on. I'm still not sure how badly I want to do this as I am leery of making BR any more complicated than it already is. However, I would really like to get the game out in the hands of more gaming groups and I feel the base game isn't conducive to doing this. So, off to design I will go in the next month or so to see what most cleanly accomplishes this goal. This will take a fair amount of time.

- (Definitely) A Northern California map is in progress and should be available for print and play by the end of August.

- (Probably) An interlocking fictional map. The idea would be to produce approximately eight or ten 5 x 7 inch grids of terrain that can link together to create new maps and boards.

- (Maybe) Cuba. Terrain isn't too terribly interesting, so I'm not sure how I want to spice it up.

- (Maybe) Reworking the Imperial Mexican Railroad expansion to work with the Third Set Rules.

- Additional optional tweaks to all of the Expansion maps.

- (Probably) Including chits to indicate variations in demand for goods.

- (Probably) Preseeding the maps with odd colored cubes for private companies which would need to be built over or purchased outright.

- (Probably) Creating a special action deck of 8 or so cards. Drawing three each turn and selecting one would allow you to do a special thing that turn, i.e. ignore inefficiency cards, build an extra hex, etc. Think Age of Steam for a solo game. These cards would work well for a multiplayer version of the game as well.

Anyhow, details on all of this will be in the months ahead. If there is enough interest, I may end up creating a separate small publishing run of the latest incarnation of Bindle Rails which would include enough cubes, cards, etc. for some of the above. I try to recycle all of the cards and cubes I've already sent out, but some of the expansions obviously deviate a little from that.

If you are interested in playtesting any of the above out, just drop me a GeekMail or let me know down below.

Thanks for following along!

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The two player Bindle Rails is looking more like a different game... sneak peak is below...

... I've been working on this other design for a while and after sitting down playing with cards and such on the board, I think I'm leaning toward putting all my chips on another train game. The game will be an easier to pick up 18xx style game with pieces of Age of Steam and Chicago Express and a few other ideas I had in mind from Bindle Rails.

Feedback welcome. I still plan on putting together some expansion maps for Bindle Rails, but when I was trying to merge the shares, company tracks and the like, it was too clumsy. This other system does what I am picturing more cleanly (so far).

J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Further adventures on Open Rails (or whatever it will end up being called) can be found via this thread.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3909338#3909338

Thanks much,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.