Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Dreamblade, but at the same time I would also really enjoy a game that was similar but a little more, um, deterministic. Does this game fit that mould?

I've seen some starters/boosters for super cheap and was thinking of getting them for playing the game. I'm not a fan of the art style but if the game is good I can overlook that for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to have an opportunity to play Navia Dratp, but from what I understand of it, there really aren't any random elements in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
I love Dreamblade, but at the same time I would also really enjoy a game that was similar but a little more, um, deterministic. Does this game fit that mould?

I've seen some starters/boosters for super cheap and was thinking of getting them for playing the game. I'm not a fan of the art style but if the game is good I can overlook that for sure.

I would say this is an excellent candidate. Once you have the game set up, the only randomness is in choosing the first player. After that, everything is deterministic. (Honestly, it might be too deterministic, at least for some people. Very much like chess, that way.)

You don't have quite the options that you do in Dreamblade (7 Maseitai out of 44 possible, vs. 16 dream-critters out of hundreds), but that's still plenty for good replay value.

What is it that you like about Dreamblade? ND has the army design, resource management, and area control aspects, but there might be something else that you're looking for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dreamblade fairly competitively (top 4 in 4 1ks and played in the final 50k) and found that the thing I didn't like about it is that at fairly high level play when both players are making the optimal moves each turn, the game is decided more often than not by luck. At top tables people weren't really necessarily outplaying each other, but hitting key initiatives (especially when unwishing well hit the metagame) or getting big rolls with blades.

Navia Dratp has none of those luck elements and is more chess like. It's not quite as assymetrical as Dreamblade as both player's "pawn" pieces are the same. That being said, the army building is fairly interesting with a pretty diverse ability list in the 44 released ND pieces. I also like the resource management portion of the game as it really adds some thought process as to when to spend your "gold" and which victory condition you are actively striving toward (there are three).

I like both games quite a bit and at the rock bottom booster prices of ND, it's definitely worth getting into, especially if you have people in your game group who are into chess-like games (although I'd much rather play ND than chess!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses (for some reason I wasn't notified within bgg that there were responses). I'll be scouring eBay for more cheap boosters.

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.