Subject: How does finding a cure affect game play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
If I cure yellow but there are still yellow pieces on the board, does anything happen right then to those pieces or do we just keep playing the game as we have up to that point?

Another way to ask the question -- If we've cured yellow and then as Infector I draw a yellow city card, do I still place a new yellow cube on the board? I know once a disease is cured AND eradicated, then new pieces of that color are no longer added to the board, but I'm not real clear on what it means, if anything, to the ongoing gameplay to find a cure, except that once all 4 colors are cured we win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Finding a cure does the following:

1) Win the game if this is your 4th cure.
2a) Allow you to cure all cubes in 1 city for the cost of 1 Action
2b) Allows the Medic to cure all cubes in 1 city just for being present in that city (even if it isn't his turn)
3) Gives you the potential to Eradicate a disease.

That's it. Cubes are still placed on the board when they are drawn or there is an outbreak just like before. Once you eradicate the disease, then that is when you can ignore new cards in that color. Eradication happens the moment you clear the last cube from the board of a cured disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi Brian - That's great -- thanks for your very detailed and helpful answer. I've looked through the rules for this several times but must be overlooking it. Thanks a lot for your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's all on page 5 (with a couple other tidbits on page 7):

Quote:
Discover A Cure
Once your team has discovered all four cures, you win!
If your pawn is in a city with a Research Station, discard 5 cards of the same color to cure the
corresponding disease. Take a Cure marker and place it (vial-side up) on the Discovered Cures area of the
board to indicate which disease has been cured. Place the spent cards into the Player Discard Pile.
Treat Disease
Over the course of the game, your team can treat diseases to buy the time needed to discover cures.
Remove a disease cube from the city your pawn occupies. (Each removed cube costs one action.) Place the
removed cube back into the stock by the side of the board. If players have discovered a cure, instead of one
cube, remove all cubes of a cured disease in your current city for one action.

Eradicating a Disease
If a cure for a given disease has been discovered and all of the disease cubes of that color have been
removed from the board, flip the Cure marker for the disease to the “Sunset” side.
From now on,
cards of this color have no effect when drawn on the Infector’s turn. Take all of the cubes of the
eradicated color and place them back in the box—they will not be used again for the rest of the game.

The Medic may remove all the cubes of a single color (instead of 1) when performing the Treat Disease
action. Also, if the Medic at any time finds herself in a city that contains cubes of a disease that has been
cured, she may immediately remove all of those cubes.
This unique ability is in effect during all players’
turns and does not cost any actions to perform.

And a bit of confirmation on Page 7 during the example...
Quote:
The Red
disease was
eradicated
earlier in the game, so Brian
ignores the Seoul card. The Blue
and Black diseases are still a threat,
so Brian must add 1 cube each to
both Paris and Algiers in that order.
(Even though the Black disease is
Cured, it can still spread!)

Quote:
VICTORY!
Players collectively win the game immediately
when the cures for all four diseases (Blue, Yellow,
Black, and Red) have been discovered.
Players do
not need to administer cures to every infected city
in order to win the game—victory is instant when
any player discovers the fourth and final cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks again, Brian. I missed those phrases in reading and re-reading the manual. Thanks a lot for clarifying, and taking the time to copy the manual sections into your notes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One interesting interaction. Since the medic cures all the cubes of a cure disease just by being present. The dispatcher can use him like a broom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sislar wrote:
One interesting interaction. Since the medic cures all the cubes of a cure disease just by being present. The dispatcher can use him like a broom.
awwww yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.