Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to final rush enemy unit:

1) defender must be clearly visible to attacker;
2) defender's facing side center must be within MC from front center point of attacker;
3) standing order of attacker must be C or C (defender)
4) there is no other defender whose center point of facing side is 1,25" or less from front center point of attacker;
5) there is an open path from attacker to defender (open path is 2,5" wide path clear of other units/objects that must contain line connecting front center point of attacking unit and center of facing side of defending unit)

Questions:
a) Is condition (2) mandatory for final rush with a flank?
b) If open path is between 2,5" and 3,5" does that mean that attack can be made by flank only?
c) If open path is between 2,5" and 3,5" and ending position of attacker allows frontal attack, is it OK to attack with front? (Consequently, that would make that final rush with a flank is performed only if attacker's final position with frontal final rush would result in overlap with another unit)

Quote:
A unit is eligible to final rush with a flank if:
• It is near enough to final rush, but obstacles prevent the unit from
doing any final rush with its front, and

I understand that no maneuvering is required. What conditions (a, b or both) must be fulfilled for final rushing with a flank?
a) Attacker's front center must be within MC of defender's facing side center;
b) Attacker's (attacking) flank center must be within MC of defender's facing side center;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for final rushing with the flank are among the most confusing in the game, which is a shame, because the concept is very simple.

The rule is not intended to allow you to final rush something that's further away than can be reached with your front. It's not intended to give you any extra tactical maneuverability.

Basically, it's only there for one situation: you meet all the normal requirements of a final rush with your front; but there's not physical room to accomodate the card, because other units or terrain features are in the way.

If you keep that guiding principle in mind, you shouldn't have any problems. So your answers are:

(a) Yes; final rush with flank isn't intended to give you extra distance or maneuverability.

(b) No. You literally pick the card up and move it to it's destination without it moving through the gap.

(c) Yes, and in fact it's required.

Unlabeled question: only (a).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morkin wrote:
a) Is condition (2) mandatory for final rush with a flank?

Yes. The distance is checked from your front center point. A final rush with a flank doesn't let you hit an enemy that was out of range of a frontal attack. It only lets you hit someone where there isn't room to fit your front.

Quote:
b) If open path is between 2,5" and 3,5" does that mean that attack can be made by flank only?

No. If you can fit the card front-wise, you final rush with the flank. The idea is that a unit doesn't stay in full formation during a final rush, so it doesn't need a full 3.5" path, but it needs a decent amount of space so we used 2.5" as the minimum.

Quote:
c) If open path is between 2,5" and 3,5" and ending position of attacker allows frontal attack, is it OK to attack with front? (Consequently, that would make that final rush with a flank is performed only if attacker's final position with frontal final rush would result in overlap with another unit)

Yes, and you've got it exactly (except that it might also be a terrain feature that created the problem).

Quote:
A unit is eligible to final rush with a flank if:
• It is near enough to final rush, but obstacles prevent the unit from
doing any final rush with its front, and

Quote:
I understand that no maneuvering is required. What conditions (a, b or both) must be fulfilled for final rushing with a flank?
a) Attacker's front center must be within MC of defender's facing side center;
b) Attacker's (attacking) flank center must be within MC of defender's facing side center;

A only. B is not required; nor is it sufficient or even relevant. The term "final rushing with the flank" is a bit misleading -- we don't mean that the unit is turning sideways or that the flank is doing the rushing, but rather that as the unit rushes (loosening or breaking its formation to do so) it may end up in a different shape than when it marches, which is represented by having it final rush with its flank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started writing my answer and then had a meeting. I should have known that by the time I got back to complete it Andrew would already have answered your question in a clearer way than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.