"So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face

Now take a look at me now, cos there's just an empty space
But to wait for you, is all i can do and that's what i've got to face

Take a good look at me now, cos i'll still be standing here
And you coming back to me is against all odds
It's the chance i've gotta take"

- Phil Collins

So the buzz around the interweb is that action-figure company NECA has not only bought HeroClix, but basically re-started WizKids by hiring most of the old WK crew. The Marvel set 'Hammer Of Thor' (which was supposedly done & in the bag when Topps pulled the plug on Wizkids) will allegedly be released this fall, with the promo figure of Thor's Chariot being displayed (complete with Wizkids logo on the box) at San Diego Comic-Con & currently available on Amazon for 19.99

Beyond that, there is supposedly a DC set in the works for spring 2010 entitled The Brave & The Bold, supposedly featuring duos fairly heavily, as well as a Marvel 70th Aniversary set. It seems like it's the Clix that NECA is focusing on, so any Pirates lovers may be SOL. No word on HorrorClix yet, and Tsuro was apparently sold to Calliope games earlier in the year.

Now mind you NECA has yet to make an O-F-F-I-C-I-A-L announcement about ANY of this, but many people spoke with Wizkids employees at the NECA booth at SDCC and all confirmed most of these current rumors. Distributors have codes for the HOT (Hammer Of Thor) set but have yet to spill the beans about when they ship.

So it's nice to be able to see a game that so many enjoyed actually come back from the dead. (hopefully...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I heard that no one was willing confirm NECA will actually produce new Clix or just clear out the stuff already in the pipeline.

Knock on wood NECA can move forward with these licenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
I can see that happening: take a trial run with the stock purchased from Topps, then keep the Wizkids folks on the payroll if the trial balloon floats. Either way, we should get HoT this fall.

Then you have the people all hot & bothered that NECA could make Clix for any of the multitude of licenses they currently have. But that seems to be getting ahead of ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Creasman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's official - NECA has officially purchased the rights to many of Wizkids' lines, and will most likely be jump-starting Heroclix fairly soon:

http://www.necaonline.com/article/detail/278

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salokin Bayrat
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's finally official, good news for all Wizkids fans
http://www.necaonline.com/article/detail/278

Not only did NECA buy Heroclix but the entire Wizkids line. Best of all their independent subsidiary of NECA will be HQd in Hillside, NJ, a place I can visit by driving (if they allow such things).

Is the long wait over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Sandaas
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well NECA has the sculptors, QC for paint/models, distributors, licences a plenty and production facilities... for a company like them buying the wizkids games is not that much of a gamble rather than trying to kickstart a purposebuilt company to carry on.

I think they will succeed, as there are no other game quite like it... and the hiatus haven''t been that long. Add to that the fact that super heroes are hot cakes on the silver screen and it looks good in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.