Subject: Watch Our for those Flying Giants! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A little session report on our most recent game of Small World, a vicious three-player affair between me and my two brothers, fought on the mean streets of suburban Dayton, Ohio...

Kid Brother #1 (I'm the oldest) had a good start - Monty Python's Flying Giants launched themselves onto the unwitting inhabitants of the Small World; spurning their flying ability, then captured some mountains in the south and used that base to roll boulders onto the inhabitants of the valleys surrounding them, taking a good number of areas (6 or 7) before entering into a gentle decline on the second turn. My Wealthy Humans came on in the east and had a two turn existence (thanks for the bonus VPs!) before declining - helped along by Kid Brother #2's bloody Dragonmaster Sorcerors.

Following up for KB#1 were the Commando Elves. They came in and hit the Sorcerors very hard, helping protect the snoozing No-Longer-Flying Giants' flank. The Commando Elves had a good two-turn run before declining, wracking up some serious VPs for KB#1. My Underworld Tritons came on in turn four. Taking cunning advantage of the hidden river system that runs under the Small World, Tritons popped up all over, hitting the Giants particularly hard, before entering decline after two turns of action. At about the same time, Seafaring Orcs declared for KB#2; the focused most of their attention during their three turns of pillaging on the declined Elves, trying to reduce KB#1's position.

Then KB#1 got more good help - Swampophile Amazons. They came in on turn six and pounded thru remnants of the Sorcerors and hit some Tritons, before expanding widely on turn 7; they held 7 areas when they entered into decline on turn 8. In their wake entered Pillaging Ratmen for me; they had two very good turns, hitting a LOT of Amazons (and some Orcs and other miscellaneous enemies) before declining on turn 9.

KB#2 brought in some Diplomatic Wizards on turn 8, who smacked some Amazons and Tritons around but didn't make a great deal of progress beyond grabbing a couple of sources of magical power (and VPs).

KB#1 recruited Hill-Loving Skeletons for turns 9 and 10. They spread far and wide, grabbing a lot of the high ground and wreaking havoc on the declining Ratmen Kingdom. On turn 10 some Berserk Halflings came on to help me out. "Berserk" was a misnomer; they were really the "MILD" Halflings, who were unable to do much of anything. I knew I should've taking the Spirit Ghouls.

Anyhoo, KB#1 jumped out into the lead with his Flying Giants/Commando Elves. KB#2 and I were aware of this and tried hitting KB#1's guys as much as possible, but were never really able to bring him down. Final score: KB#1 98, me 87, KB#2 76.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
On turn 10 some Berserk Halflings came on to help me out. "Berserk" was a misnomer; they were really the "MILD" Halflings, who were unable to do much of anything. I knew I should've taking the Spirit Ghouls.

I can't imagine Spirit Ghouls being of any use when they enter the board on turn 10. At least Berserk Halflings have a chance to do some nastiness if the dice are helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
On turn 10 some Berserk Halflings came on to help me out. "Berserk" was a misnomer; they were really the "MILD" Halflings, who were unable to do much of anything. I knew I should've taking the Spirit Ghouls.

I can't imagine Spirit Ghouls being of any use when they enter the board on turn 10. At least Berserk Halflings have a chance to do some nastiness if the dice are helpful.

Well, Spirit Ghouls had a VP on them and were the free choice, and I had to pay to buy the Halflings. I would've been a VP ahead with the Ghouls, but with a little luck (I had none), Halflings could have been more productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.