United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Greetings All!

I had posted last week, asking about some sort of stackable plastic bits. But after thinking about it a bit, the pieces probably don't have to be stackable.

This is for one of those "opoly" versions, but the game centers on a cluster of small local businesses: a florist, a movie theater, a gift shop, an art gallery... that sort of thing.

Houses and hotels just wouldn't "feel" quite right, I guess.

In a thrift store earlier today, I picked up a copy of "Kansas City -opoly" which apparently was made around 1998. Instead of houses, it has "skyline sections" (stupid name). These are gray plastic bits that look like the tops of different buildings. There appear to be maybe 6 different kinds. I was rather fascinated by this. And although that wouldn't necessarily be a good match for these small local businesses, it made me think that instead of going with some sort of generic, tubular or pyramidal stacking bits....maybe something that looked more like a real structure would be possible.

But all I've seen in my various store-site searches in the past week and a half have been variations of houses and hotels.

Anybody know of any sites that sell other kinds of... well... building-like plastic or wooden bits?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a fun place to look, go to Litko Aerosystems. I know it doesn't sound like a plastic bits for games place, but believe me, it is. surprise

If they don't have exactly what you want, you can have them make your designs!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Wow, guys, fantastic sites! Very cool!

In the back of my head, I have future plans for a rules addition that would make it nice to have tokens for things like: bushes/landscaping, wi-fi, extra parking (I'm thinking a car token), maintenance service/man, and security service/man... so cool token sites are really interesting to me! (Gotta keep the costs down, though, so I doubt I'll go custom.)

Thanks VERY much!

-= Dave =-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I definately like how your idea is growing from straight opoly to something else.

One idea might be to make it a rejuventation of the area game, and have the businesses being part of that.
That way its less opoly and something new, BUT has all the appeal of a monopoly game.

Also, at some stage you'llneed to decide just how big a project this will be and how much its going to cost, etc etc.

I recommend you have the basic opoly version as a fall back position, and keep working on the new idea and improving it to show to the business owners.

Along those lines, is there a set deadline for this project or not?

O and random zombie zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Heh... deadline = "Start selling as sooooon as possible!"

The original idea was for the first copy to be just a quirky gift for the group of small business owners I meet with each month. I figured they'd leave it sitting out in the little lounge area there at the store and perhaps customers might get curious about it over lunch.

I delivered that copy to the store last Friday, BUT, I shoved in a flyer that says "Here is a list of parts. If anything's missing, here's my contact info. Let me know and I'll replace it. AND, if you're interested in getting your own copy of this game, plus the ability to have your family's photos as the playing pieces (pawns), please contact me!"

We'll see if anybody "bites" over that.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and:

1) Started buying up low-priced board games from thrift shops, just for the 19 x 19 inch or 20 x 20 inch boards. Usually, I can get a board plus one or two dice for about $1-1.50.

2) Just ordered 5 boxes from boardgamedesign.com. Folks here have said that they're thinner than normal game setup boxes, but I didn't see many other alternatives out there.

3) Also ordered pawns and stackable pegs (which were used in the original as a variation on the Monopoly "houses") from Rolcogames.com.

I still have some colored paper, cardstock, and full-page label stock left over from the first game.

I now need to take my MS Publisher file that has the property spaces for the board and modify it. Currently, each "section" of three properties was effectively one sticker.

I need to combine everything somehow into a set of four 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper for overlaying onto the boards....at least until I can get time and money to look into purchasing a larger plotter. (I suppose I COULD design it all as on massive piece of paper and then take the file over to Kinko's, but somehow I doubt that would be very cost-effective either.)

Regarding the "new rules" ideas you seemed to like, j_holmes: I was thinking of simply adding a set of "optional rules" to the rules booklet (which, yeah, gotta go create that too)....and then throwing in a bunch of either cardboard or plastic tokens (with stickers on them) for use with those rules.

It'd add to the expense, but yes, then it would be more like a property-improvement game. And I like the idea that even a player only one property could do SOMETHING to improve their property / rent-intake, without having to necessarily acquire all three properties of the same color.

I have spoken with the leaders of both local business districts about my intentions. And I have offered to remove a couple of businesses from the game who are NOT paid members of those business associations and replace them with ones who are. That way, this game strengthens their membership a bit.

I've told them that I want a portion of the proceeds from the game sales to go to each business district (yes, I'm leaving some for me too). They, in response, suggested we all go in together on a large plotter...because not only would one speed up my game production, but they often find the need to make larger posters as well.

Plus, in two weeks, one of the locals who owns two businesses here will be adding another one: a coffee shop. I intend to "donate" a game copy to sit on their shelves as well.

I haven't put TONS of thought into a marketing plan yet. And I know I need to do that.

But I've got a LOT of things going on through the end of the year. I'm trying to put together a Christmas Old Homes Tour in the area. And that is going to require a lot of desktop publishing too. Plus, then, I need to plan and work on this year's Halloween costume. (It will come nowhere close to last year's in the time-consumption department.:
http://www.davidraasch.com/images/robo/halloween3.jpg
http://www.davidraasch.com/images/robo/Festival001.jpg

See, that's why I think I can self-publish this game and make a BIT of money without too much difficulty: I've already done what I thought I couldn't possibly do !!)

Thanks!

-= Dave =-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DR4296 wrote:
I've already done what I thought I couldn't possibly do !!)

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Thats the main thing, keep notes on everything, and it'll be a lot easier the next time around for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.