Subject: So frustrating... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Played several two-player games recently with my wife and though we undoubtedly enjoy the game I find a gnawing sense of frustration permeates the sessions. It is not an easy ride. The bloody food necessity is very irritating at times. Plough, sow, harvest...oh blooby hell I've not baked, come to think of it I've not even got a hearth, and why did'nt I play that card that appeared useless at first but now is pivotal to my success.

Food = pivotal. Room expansion/improvement = essential. Family growth = crucial. Ploughing = critical. Fencing = necessity...it makes my head hurt more that T&E for goodness sake.

Will hope to find a less frustrating strategy soon with more plays. I think the farming theme and artwork belies a very tough and frustrating game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jonathan Ward wrote:
I think the farming theme and artwork belies a very tough and frustrating game.

Much like farming belies a very tough and frustrating profession/life. Hmmm, and people say Euros are light on theme....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, theme is as far as it goes, but I don't think you'll find a single farmer in history who is trying to simultaneously grow wheat and carrots while rearing sheep, pigs AND beef cattle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Ward wrote:
blooby

This new word made me laugh.

And yes, it's frustrating sometimes.

=][=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haskins
United States
Countryside
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three words . . . Welcome to Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I blooby well second that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Well, theme is as far as it goes, but I don't think you'll find a single farmer in history who is trying to simultaneously grow wheat and carrots while rearing sheep, pigs AND beef cattle.

I hope you are kidding. While maybe not for profit people would have done all this for food. They may have grown wheat for money while they grew carrots, potatoes and other vegtables for consumption. At the same time as they had cows for milking, sheep for wool and chickens for eggs. The ocasional animal would be knocked off for dinner as well. They would also grow feed for the animals.

Modern farmers wouldnt necessarily do all this as most modern farms are for profit family corporations and they would grow several crops such as wheat, canola (rape), peas, mustard, oats. Most farmers buy their food at the grocery store.

Source: My family were settlers and my uncles currently run a large farm growing wheat, canola and peas rotating fields every season to renurish the soil (growing the same crop year after year depleates the fields minerals and renders it useless. Each crop adds minerals too so by rotating they get a good balance. Peas are grown for animal feed not human consumption and are mostly grown to enrich the soil since they are nitrogenators)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Xyzp
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to top off the frustration: your opponent keeps taking the resources you desperately need!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's incredibly frustrating. I hate this game so much. The frustration is the best thing about it. And that's exactly why I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Agricola. I can see how someone wouldn't like it though. It always feels like you're two steps behind. I've learned to just accept that the board is going to look like garbage for 80% of the game and that all will come together over the last few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it as part and parcel of the Agricola experience that I will spend 95% of the game with my brain screaming at me that it's too confused and can't I play something simpler because it's all very painful, and then the remaining 5% of the game feeling satisfied that something I've been working towards for 3 harvests is finally working.

It's that 5% that's so maddeningly addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for the replies one and all. I feel markedly better for them too. My experience of Agricola so far has been a series of frustrating and nail-biting sessions with no clear or obvious routes to victory. BUT, now I know that the frustration is all part of the drama and is indeed part of the experience...I will relax and accept and even enjoy my role in this agrarian adventure/torture chamber.

And savour the victories when they come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.