Subject: Lego games at Galeria Kaufhof Germany website rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear fellow geeks, if someone is interested in the Lego games and their pricing structure You might consider having a look at the Kaufhofs website:

http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/sales/aktionen/CatDetail.asp?F...

(in german of course but as it has many pictures it might be usable even for the non-german-speaking crowd)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the potential behind these, and I hope they end up being useful as game development kits.

When someone buys some of these, would you let us know about them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry Scott but I am sceptical. Reviews are propping up on the german review site and they seem to like the Lego aspect, but not the gameplay. To quote from one review of the Lunar game (a Knizia even!): "Game 2, Lego 10."

That in my opinion sums up a lot of those games. I admit they are targeted at the younger folks who actually play with Lego. But there are so many great childrens and family games out there that its hard to justify the purchase of one of those Lego games versus one from a producer with a good track record in game play like Haba, Selecta, 3 Magier, Ravensburger etc. More so when those games are often even cheaper than the Lego ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I went looking through the reviews here and read the comments. Doesn't seem promising.

One of the things that I push in the library game space are game creation programs, so I'm thinking I'm going to get multiple sets of the bigger ones, and make a bucket-o-legos, and then turn groups loose to make their own games out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of reviews up at Ludoversum if You are interested.

Here are the links (for Your convenience I added the translation into "googlish"

Creationary: http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=U...

Minotaurus: http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=U...

Lunar Command: http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=U...

To buy a bunch of Lego games for a library seems to me to be a not so wise allocation of money. I am no librarian but an accountant. And I can see that the Lego games are
a) quite limited in game play
b) do not have standard parts that will really fit well into other Lego
c) apart from the die do not have anything essential for game play
d) do not have a lot of parts for the money in any case

So the alternative is
- good "normal" games to learn interaction and game play. Syres Ernst, a member of the Spiel des Jahres jury, made a speech at a school where he said that according to a list from a book about employability in modern work environments gaming teaches everything like teamwork, planning, anticipating others moves etc. That is gaming itself that teaches a lot, not necessarily making Your own (maybe inferior) game.
- game components like wooden blocks, dice, cards...
- normal lego that can be had much cheaper in bulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
It's so stimulating being your hat
badge
The way forward is sometimes the way back
mbmbmbmbmb
...but that lego dice that comes with them looks pretty promising as a standalone component.

A game where you can change the faces of the dice during the game... seems to me like there could be some nice design space with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. But a) there are many fine games without dice or that work just perfectly well with a d6 and b) why buy a game when you just want a die...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
Indeed. But a) there are many fine games without dice or that work just perfectly well with a d6 and b) why buy a game when you just want a die...

As someone who has purchased an entire lego set for one specific PIECE - I'd say "because it's the LEGO piece you need."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.