Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this game and in conformance with my Modus Operandi I have read many threads on here and read the rules and FAQ in their entirety from the FFG site.

I have a problem in that I have trouble getting even 3 players for most games, and certainly very rarely (if ever) get more than 3 especially for a "long" game such as this one. (One time in the past 4 years I played Railroad Tycoon with 5 players. Other than that I have generally only had 2-3 players for any game)

So what I want to know is, if it is highly unlikely that I will ever play with more than 3 players, is the game fun enough that I won't feel I wasted my money because the "real" fun is with 5 or 6?

What do you think?

-One Wolf

edit: To correct a terrible typo, "corfmormance"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As with most games of this nature, more players = more fun. However, our first game we played, we did the 2-player variant rules and had a lot of fun with it. The way the Sleeper Agent is handled in the 2-player game kept it tense and we were highly suspicious of each other even though we both ended up as humans.

But, I haven't had the chance to play it again as 2-player. I would imagine that if you are playing with the same 2 players all the time, you would start to figure out your partner pretty well (and this is a game where the players' behaviour is key to the game). So with repeated play, the fun will probably go down.

I have never tried the 3-player game, having only played in 4- and 6- player games since that first 2-player session.

So I think the game is fun with 2 occasionally. But if you are only going to occasionally get it out with more, it might not be worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3-player game can be a lot of fun, but it's not perfect either. The games really tend to vary. If the players are inexperienced, the game can turn out pretty badly if people end up in the brig. If people know what they are doing though, even the 3-player game is quite fun. I have played many times with 3, and while I enjoy it even more with 4 or 5, I never turn down a game with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nice, though not perfect, 3 player game, for a game of this kind, I honestly wouldn't even touch the 2 player rules, but for 3, it's nice.

One thing to keep in mind though is that with 3 players, you can almost guarantee that as soon as one of the players openly starts going against the other 2, you lose one of three main sectors (politics, military or piloting), which means you'll get screwed over in those areas, also, there's a 2/3rds percent chance that that cylon will also be president or admiral, so those are things to keep in mind...

So, with 3 players, the cylon is guaranteed to get these particular advantages, other than that and the natural more players=more fun rule, I see no reason not to buy it for 3 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
United States
Clay
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
For what it's worth, I only play this game with 5 or 6 players. With 4 or fewer, I grab a different game (e.g. Dominion, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Coloretto, Cosmic Encounter, Last Night on Earth, Agricola).

In the spirit of full disclosure, I've only played BSG twice with 4 players, and never with fewer. Still, those two games were the worst BSG games I've ever played. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your only criteria is that you can't get more than 3 players together because of distance, scheduling conflicts, etc. then I say, "No. This is not a good buy for you." The social aspects of the game are its highlights and its mechanics are its flaws. 3 people games would become a grind pretty quick, I'm thinking.

Let me make a couple other points, though:

1. It's a good game if you like collecting good games. I have an unopened copy of Battlestar Galactica in the trunk of my car waiting to be used. We usually use a friend's copy, but you never know when an opportunity might arise...

2. It is a good enough game it might get you more chances to play with more people. From fans of the show, to relatives who will love the "find the traitor" social aspect of the game, you may find players where you haven't found them before. Or people's schedules might suddenly "free up" for a game they really like. This is the closest thing to a party game you are going to find in a traditional boardgame.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 3 player BSG once, but I thought it was great that way (whereas it's been hit and miss with other numbers... though I suspect it's also hit and miss with 3 depending on how the particular game plays out). It plays faster with less downtime with 3 and there's still some decent intrigue as far as who the Cylon is, and the stakes seem to be higher for being right or wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
This is the closest thing to a party game you are going to find in a traditional boardgame.

I find that to be a bizarre statement. BSG is not even close to being a party game, IMO... It's relatively complex, and usually very long (often 3 hours or more). It can also end up being repetitive and a little tedious with all of the skill checks, depending how the game plays out. While the strategic elements and intrigue of the Cylon/traitor element are interesting and compelling enough for us gamers, that isn't likely to hold the interest of your average Joe. And no matter how smart they are, people unfamiliar with this type of game and just learning the rules may not have a good feel at all for what to do if they end up being a Cylon, which can be frustrating (that's how my wife felt in her first game). I know there are examples of people appreciating the game who normally don't play this type of game, but that's the case with any game and I suspect it's the exception for BSG. I wouldn't dare try to introduce this to non-hobby gamers expecting anything at all like a party game. Great game, but definitely more of a "gamer's game", IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with the full range of players and I also enjoy it with 3. According to your logged plays, you play moreso on the heavier side of type games, so I won't be able to use much of anything else as a reference point. However, having Pandemic under your belt is good.

3 vs 5

3 players:
-shorter games (average 1 hour shorter than 5p ones)
-more control, as you only need to wait 2 turns before you get more skill cards. This is similar to how 2p games are noticeably more easier than 4p games.
-less coverage of skill cards... these cards fuel the game with their special abilities or ability to pass crisis checks (similar to the blue cards in Pandemic)
-additionally, since your turn occurs more often and you draw more skill cards, you're less reliant on other player's support for playing cards or doing things. Important when you have a triator in your midst, including you.
-more suspicion placed per opponents. In a 5p game, it can get spread around, in 3p games, it's only going towards 2 other players. May be easier to narrow down the traitor

Also, definitely look into the 2p variants that FFG has posted as official variants. Hell, you can even try a 1p variant if you'd like. They have 'em posted here. People will argue not having a Traitor can detract from the game, but I'll counter and say it can still be fun. Just like how Pandemic is just one big puzzle that's practically a single player game and it's still fun. If Pandemic were released with an opponent team, THAT would've been set as the standard and THAT would've been the way to play, while having no opposing team would've been decried

I'm not gonna compare 4 vs 6 b/c if you're not gonna get to 4, then no bother. It is quite a different beast due to the sympathizer mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. The posts have been helpful.

It seems that my friends and I will have fun with 3 players, so I think I am going to get a copy. If sometime I can wrangle up a group of 5 or *gasp* 6 it would be icing on the cake.

I truly appreciate the responses.

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
Thank you all. The posts have been helpful.

It seems that my friends and I will have fun with 3 players, so I think I am going to get a copy. If sometime I can wrangle up a group of 5 or *gasp* 6 it would be icing on the cake.

I truly appreciate the responses.

-One Wolf

I just had to add into this. We play this game in 3-4 player group (once with 5 players). The first games we played with 4 players, and didn't try the game with just 3. I think we kind of "waited to get 4 players before playing".

At one day, we weren't sure if there's 3 or 4 players coming - and eventually just 3 showed up (one guy had something else on his schedule). So, we decided to give it a go.

We were positively surprised. The game *is* fun with just 3 players, and especially in one game the cylon player fooled us human players who wanted to throw each others in the brig (which we did... leaving cylon player only one outside the brig!).

I think only point worth considering is to *perhaps* get rid of the "player can look somebody's cards" abilities/cards... since it kind of ruins the game when you can find out who the cylon is with just some lucky card. But suit yourself... in our games, 3 player games have been just as fun as what the 4 player game was.

Bottom line: buy it :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
Bottom line: buy it

I just placed my order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! :)

Now start waiting for the expansion pack to be published :whistle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
Cool!

Now start waiting for the expansion pack to be published whistle
For me, I'm gonna forget that the expansion is in the pipeline till it actually does come out. Keeps my sanity and focus at higher levels kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Grimstax wrote:
This is the closest thing to a party game you are going to find in a traditional boardgame.

I find that to be a bizarre statement. BSG is not even close to being a party game, IMO...

I'm not Grimstax but I'll still give it a try. He didn't say BSG was a party game. He said it was a traditional boardgame (complex, long, repetitive, not for newbies) which nonetheless ends up being the closest to a party game (people laughing their butts off, screaming around the table like crazy, etc).

In the conventions/groups I attend, only two non-party games consistently result in party-game-like behaviors: BSG and... Die Macher. (Yeah, I know, go figure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
Grimstax wrote:

I find that to be a bizarre statement. BSG is not even close to being a party game, IMO...

I'm not Grimstax but I'll still give it a try. He didn't say BSG was a party game. He said it was a traditional boardgame (complex, long, repetitive, not for newbies) which nonetheless ends up being the closest to a party game (people laughing their butts off, screaming around the table like crazy, etc).

In the conventions/groups I attend, only two non-party games consistently result in party-game-like behaviors: BSG and... Die Macher. (Yeah, I know, go figure.)

That was how I took it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my copy was delivered today, and I just finished playing solo using the variant on the FFG website.

I won and I enjoyed myself, but I can't wait to get a group together and see how the cylon dynamic works. I believe that is where the real fun is.

Plus there are several cards and spots on the board that just are not useful or meaningful in a solo game.

However, One way or another I am glad I purchased this game

-One Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
Well my copy was delivered today, and I just finished playing solo using the variant on the FFG website.

I won and I enjoyed myself, but I can't wait to get a group together and see how the cylon dynamic works. I believe that is where the real fun is.

Plus there are several cards and spots on the board that just are not useful or meaningful in a solo game.

However, One way or another I am glad I purchased this game

-One Wolf
Again, thanks for letting us know what you ended up doing! Always good to know how something ends kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick follow up, I played my first 3-player game last night. We had a ton of fun, and in fact the friends I played with liked it so much they are trying to put together a 5 or 6 player game.

How exciting is that?!? (I'm trying not to get too excited as large groups for long games tend not to happen in my world, but it is no longer just me trying to put it together.)

Thanks again for the input. I'm very pleased with my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate this thread. I've told my sister I want this for Christmas, but I'm also in the situation where most of the time, 3 players games are the rule. Glad to see it can be fun that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.