Subject: Senji Tweaks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodrigo
Paraguay
Asunción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed Senji, but the game seemed to end too fast for my tastes, usually in an anti-climatic fourth or fifth turn. Once the players got a hunch that someone had a card from each clan, everybody would rush to get their own set of five diplomatic cards and the Winter phase would devolve into a loud flea market.

Yesterday, our group played Senji with the following rules:
- 5 players instead of 6;
- points through diplomatic actions (cashing in one card from each clan) gives now only 5 points, not 10; everyone else still loses 1 point;
- and, as suggest already here in the forum, we played with the rule that reduces one card from the Hanafuda ribbon combinations (Samurai hiring).

The results observed were these:
- more turns of play;
- a more sensible exchange of diplomatic cards;
- more Samurai in play (during the whole session we managed to place on the board 13 from the 18 Samurai avaible in the game);
- more combat;
- the winner clan got almost 50% of Honor from other means than Hanafuda combinations;
- the absence of a sixth clan introduced the fine element of bid for its diplomatic cards, that upped the difficulty for someone getting cards from all the five clans, as also giving a diplomatic option to those that, once in awhile, would find themselves politically isolated from the other clans.

So, if you think your sessions seem too much like a cardgame one and that they lack military action, you may find those same rule tweaks of use.

Senji is now, for me, a solid game. I rate it now an 8, instead of its former rating of 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find playing with 5 more than balances the diplomatic card points; at 5 points, I am hard-pressed to think of how you wouldn't be able to score far more points just using the diplomatic cards for their normal function. To each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo
Paraguay
Asunción
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed.
But since our group was considering droping the diplomatic card points rule altogether from the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.