Subject: Submarine detection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Einar Mageroy
Norway
Stavanger
Norway
flag msg tools
I also realised that submarines are more difficult to detect. While checking the detection tables for 7th Fleet and 2nd Fleet I realised that what kind of sub is most difficult to detect is changing.

Some detection numbers in different games
2nd Fleet: NATO SS sub 2 or less, NATO SN sub 4 or less
7th Fleet: Allied SS sub 4 or less, Allied SN sub 2 or less
3rd Fleet: US SS sub AND SN sub 1 or less

First the type of sub most difficult to detect changes, when the difference is removed but becomes more difficult to detect.

Does anyone know what is supposed to be realistic? Does it make sense that an SS sub and SN sub is equally difficult to detect? And if not, which one would be most difficult. Seems like that was difficult to decide in 2nd and 7th Fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, diesel boats are quieter (running on batteries while submerged), but the latest (when the games were made) NATO nuclear subs (Seawolf, Trafalgar etc.) are probably just as quiet.

Edit:

The General #27-2 has a combined sub detection table, which will clear up any questions you might have (older subs = 2 or less, quiet subs and all newer US subs = 1 or less, Trafalgar and Seawolf 0 only; noisy subs on 3 or less (Chinese and really old Soviet on 5 or less)

(I woud recommend that copy of the General,as it also has the Interactive sequence rule that quite a few people use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Diesel subs are quieter while submerged than old SNs, but need to snorkel occasionally, which SNs don't need to do. I guess the designers changed their minds on which was more important to avoid detection: noise level or need to expose a part above the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.