Subject: Another interesting bid mechanism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
About a month ago I posted a possible money making mechanism that I had been thinking about. Fellow BGG'ers seemed pretty interested, so I thought I would post a different mechanism that I have always found interesting.

I did not think up this mechanism. It was first introduced to me as 'The Least Positive Integer Contest' by molnar (who also did not create it):

David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is how it works:

Each person secretly writes a positive integer (a whole number 1 or bigger) and their name on a slip of paper and puts it into a box. The person who chose the smallest number that was not repeated is the winner.

Here is an example:

Suppose seven people play, and here are their entries...

Ann, 1
Bob, 4
Cid, 3
Dee, 1
Eve, 4
Fey, 4
Gad, 5

Then the only non-repeated numbers are 3 and 5. The lowest non-repeated number wins, so Cid wins with his choice of '3'.

Would you like to try it out?

Between August 1st and August 14th (2009), I will accept entries for a 'Least Positive Integer Contest' HERE. Of course, the winner will get a GeekGold.

In the meantime, it might be interesting to see what numbers are most commonly picked, so go ahead and indicate which number you might pick in the poll below (no peeking at the 'Results' first!):
Poll
If there was a 'Least Positive Integer Contest' (with 25-50 players perhaps), what number might you choose to enter?
(20 or higher)
      40 answers
Poll created by AdamMcD

A variant:

Instead of allowing one entry per person, allow two entries per person. This would be most useful if there were a small number of players.

Could this be implemented in a board game?

I've run this contest before to give out a door prize, but I've never thought of trying to use it in a game. It is an interesting mechanism, but I'm not sure exactly how else it might be used. If you think of something, post your idea here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanga.com uses this mechanism for their daily "Bottom Feeder" contest. Their website keeps the results of hundreds of games.

For example, yesterday there were 1813 entries and the lowest unique number was 208.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen it be used in real life (some TV show where people would call and bid money for a prize), but I don't think it would be interesting in boardgames at all. In fact, it is a fairly well-known system, and if it could add anything of value to a boardgame, I believe it would have already been used. All it adds is a new layer of guessing to blind bidding. I can't see how that is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I knew this wasn't a new idea ... but I guess I didn't know it was quite so well-known. I couldn't think of a way to fit it into a board game either, but that's not to say someone else might want to try. It did work rather well for selecting a door-prize winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Raj uses something like this mechanism, as do a number of other games. The key feature is that there is a limited range of numbers and each player can only use each number once. This makes it something other than a pure guessing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
fastspinecho wrote:
Tanga.com uses this mechanism for their daily "Bottom Feeder" contest. Their website keeps the results of hundreds of games.

For example, yesterday there were 1813 entries and the lowest unique number was 208.

I checked this out. Apparently their prizes frequently include boardgames and other worthwhile prizes. Nice!

It looks like BGG's mildthrill recently won a copy of Carcassonne this way... I'll have to start participating there. Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm fairly entertained by the fact that you've been on BGG since 2003 and missed the whole Tanga thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
rgmnetid wrote:
I'm fairly entertained by the fact that you've been on BGG since 2003 and missed the whole Tanga thing.
blush

I also haven't managed to earn enough coin to buy an avatar yet. I've only been try since 2007, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I really like this mechanism. Although the pieces of paper seem way too annoying.
I thought of using this same technique with dice. Each player has a little box (or even a simple cup that can cover the die) and places their die on the number they choose and cover it with the box or cup. All player then reveal their chosen number.
Or, player have a card deck with all the number (1 to 10). They place their selected card on the table. All players reveal their cards.
These ideas may seem elementary, but I couldn't hold back. Had to say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.