Mare Nostrum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sack, occupy, convert and other questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dietrich Lichtenfeld
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I just bought the base game and read the (much better) rulebook of the expansion. The following questions are left:

1) May I place an influence marker in a province with foreign land units?
(The rules on page 8 forbid "building" there, but influence markers are "placed" - not "built" ?!?)

2) May I convert the capital province of a neutral civilization?

3) "Nebuchadnezzar: When your legions sack a province, take one Commodity card for the destroyed caravan, or one Tax card for the destroyed city."
If I destroy a caravan may I take a Commodity card of my choice or must it be of the commodity type the caravan produced?

4) May I take an "occupy action" (that is: sack or occupy or convert a province) in a province more than once during my turn in the Military Phase?
E.g. I have 3 legions adjacent to a province with 1 influence marker, 1 legion and 2 caravans of another player. I move 2 legions into the province and attack. The other legion is killed and I destroy a caravan. After that I immediately move another legion in and declare another attack. According to the rules (page 9) I win the attack automatically and thus I can take an occupy action again (e.g. destroy another caravan). Is this really allowed?

5) If I occupy buildings or the influence marker in a province and in the next round another player's legions are also in the province and I fail to kill them all, must I remove my legions from the occupied buildings resp. influence marker?

6) In the predetermined setup Carthage is quite squeezed in the southwest corner. Even the 2 resource province east of Carthage may go to Egypt, since he has the Political Leader in the first turn. Thus I think the influence marker and caravan south of Carthage should placed in the 2 resource province instead. With this change every civ controls provinces with 7 resources at the beginning of the game.
For Greece it may be better to give him Troas instead of Constantinopolis?!?

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
pagat1 wrote:
1) May I place an influence marker in a province with foreign land units?

No, unless it concerns your own home province, or the units are ships which have not been yet moved into the sea. (Land and sea units do not ever influence each other.)

Quote:
2) May I convert the capital province of a neutral civilization?

Yes. Neutral civs may be fully overrun.

Quote:
3) "Nebuchadnezzar: When your legions sack a province, take one Commodity card for the destroyed caravan, or one Tax card for the destroyed city." If I destroy a caravan may I take a Commodity card of my choice or must it be of the commodity type the caravan produced?

The latter option.

Quote:
4) May I take an "occupy action" (that is: sack or occupy or convert a province) in a province more than once during my turn in the Military Phase?

This is a common question. The answer is no, unless you have chosen occupation as their special action---you can regroup to your heart's content. Strictly speaking you can always 'undo' a sacking or conversion and do something else instead, though. But at the end of your turn, you may have chosen but one of the three possibilities for every province where you gained the right to do so.

Quote:
E.g. I have 3 legions adjacent to a province with 1 influence marker, 1 legion and 2 caravans of another player. I move 2 legions into the province and attack. The other legion is killed and I destroy a caravan. After that I immediately move another legion in and declare another attack. According to the rules (page 9) I win the attack automatically and thus I can take an occupy action again (e.g. destroy another caravan). Is this really allowed?

No. You sacked the caravan---that was your single special action for this particular province in this particular turn.

Quote:
5) If I occupy buildings or the influence marker in a province and in the next round another player's legions are also in the province and I fail to kill them all, must I remove my legions from the occupied buildings resp. influence marker?

Quite true, unfortunately meeple. That's the risk of occupation or conversion, they aren't immediate.

Quote:
6) In the predetermined setup Carthage is quite squeezed in the southwest corner. Even the 2 resource province east of Carthage may go to Egypt, since he has the Political Leader in the first turn. Thus I think the influence marker and caravan south of Carthage should placed in the 2 resource province instead. With this change every civ controls provinces with 7 resources at the beginning of the game. For Greece it may be better to give him Troas instead of Constantinopolis?!?

Resource count isn't everything. You should keep in mind that this is not a grow-and-conquer game. This is a game about growing without attracting unhealthy attention, and getting to the 4th Wonder / Hero first. If you forget this—and you will on the first two or three games, because the temptation is very strong—then Mare Nostrum will be a 'meh'-kinda title. Once the game 'clicks', you will see that every civ has strong and weak points. I will add that Greece is the hardest nation to play until you learn its 'trick': hide on the isles, and don't be agressive on land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dietrich Lichtenfeld
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you very much, Maarten, for your answers and hints. According to 6) I'll follow your recommedation and try it with the original predetermined setup and see what happens.

Quote:
This is a game about growing without attracting unhealthy attention, and getting to the 4th Wonder / Hero first. If you forget this—and you will on the first two or three games, because the temptation is very strong—then Mare Nostrum will be a 'meh'-kinda title.

I already read, that Mare Nostrum is a quite unusual game - especially the Commerce Phase. Fortunately we played Antike already, so there is no danger that everybody attacks everybody the whole game

And I noticed that there are much less carawans and cities than building sites. So the players should build caravans and cities as fast as they can, before they run out. No time for heavy fights ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.