Clayton Wick
msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea of introducing a joint victory. It's classic Prisoner's Dilemma stuff.

I'd also like to see some variation of the Secret Agenda card which would apply to human players. I think it's a good way to introduce plot elements like the mutiny, the Demand Peace movement, and Zarek's manipulation of the Quorum of Twelve to prevent the Cylon technology from being installed throughout the fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing with Prisoner's Dilemma though is that it depends on there being different degrees of winning. It's only really effective is it's possible to "win more" than another form of win. In the case of BSG this isn't the case - you either win or you lose. There's no money involved or even points scored, so you can't really say that a joint win is in some way better than a split win.

(It's the same reason why I think having shared wins with the Cylon leaders is a bit weird - as soon as you know the leader is on your side, why wouldn't you just start to cooperate with him outright? What do you care if the Cylon leader wins, as long as you win as well?)

Also, I think the season 4 equivalent of the New Caprica board will be the Cylon Colony and the attempt to rescue Hera. Maybe there will even be a Hera card that the players can pass around, and the other players have to figure out who is carrying Hera! laugh

I also think there will be a separate season 3 expansion, as there's plenty of material they could include in that. A basestar board (non-damaged variety) for the Cylons to move around on, for example. Discovering who are the Final Five. FFG will want to milk as much out of the expansions as they can (they're a business, after all) and so will want to release as many expansions as they think people will buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything like the "alternate Earths" being included as it wasn't in the show, except for the decimated 13th Colony Earth. The other ideas are valid, especially adding the Final Five element to it. It could almost be added as another type or replacement of the sleeper agent phase, since by that point in the show, all of the Significant 7 models of Cylon were known. Perhaps the Final Five phase involves a player becoming aware of their Final Five-ness and then getting some kind of extra abilities that can help either side. They can choose their loyalty, much as they did on the show in Deadlock when they were voting on whether to abandon the fleet and head out on their own with the other rebel Cylons.

It almost seems to me like instead of having a traitor in their midst, the game would have to use a Cylon Leader and human players. When the F5 stage comes into play, there would need to be a reason to either stay with the fleet or join the Cylon leader (which isn't exactly what happened on the show. The F5's and the rebel Cylon models (2s, 6s, 8s) were not turning against the fleet, they were just heading out to do their own thing).

Honestly, an expansion going any farther than the season 3 finale, with the Algae Planet/Temple of the 5/Battle of the Ionian Nebula, will be a bit too hard to pull off with the game mechanics as they are. I would love to see one taking the fleet all the way to pre-historic Earth, but, I just can't see it working. If anyone can pull it off, though, its FFG and Corey K.

Perhaps the game would end with the arrival at the Algae Planet and then the endgame could be the Battle of the Ionian Nebula, with the FTL track functioning as a timer counting down until the Raiders sense the Final 5 in the fleet and break off their attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Perhaps the game would end with the arrival at the Algae Planet and then the endgame could be the Battle of the Ionian Nebula, with the FTL track functioning as a timer counting down until the Raiders sense the Final 5 in the fleet and break off their attack.

You are kidding...? That would be the lamest thing ever. I'm sure Corey & Co. will be able to find a way to bend the mechanics to match the series all the way to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That isn't lame, imho.... I was just thinking of another endgame climax like the escape from New Caprica in the Peg expansion. I think it'd be kind of cool to have an epic last space battle for the endgame. On the show, the entire fleets' FTL drives were down, there was no escape, they fought as valiantly as they could, but were losing civilian ships. The Cylons had them, dead to rights, when the Raider and Anders did their little red-eyed IFF thing on each other. At that point, the raiders all bugged out and the humans were able to escape.

Why would that be lame in the context of the game? Honestly, it is no different than a gigantic battle while spooling the FTL to jump to Kobol in the current game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
That isn't lame, imho.... I was just thinking of another endgame climax like the escape from New Caprica in the Peg expansion. I think it'd be kind of cool to have an epic last space battle for the endgame. On the show, the entire fleets' FTL drives were down, there was no escape, they fought as valiantly as they could, but were losing civilian ships. The Cylons had them, dead to rights, when the Raider and Anders did their little red-eyed IFF thing on each other. At that point, the raiders all bugged out and the humans were able to escape.

Why would that be lame in the context of the game? Honestly, it is no different than a gigantic battle while spooling the FTL to jump to Kobol in the current game.

But did you mean that that would be the end of the game, full stop? Nothing more after that? No finding of 13th tribe Earth, no mutiny, no raid on the Cylon colony to rescue Hera, no settling on the real Earth...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:

But did you mean that that would be the end of the game, full stop? Nothing more after that? No finding of 13th tribe Earth, no mutiny, no raid on the Cylon colony to rescue Hera, no settling on the real Earth...?

Not even Galactica 1980?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

No, i just meant that would be the end of the next expansion. A final expansion would cover the season 4 developments, which would be quite possibly very different in game mechanics. i was just saying that the Ionian Nebula battle is the last time the Cylons were 100% enemies of humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neandrothal wrote:

Not even Galactica 1980?

Please god, no Dr. Zee character card..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are going to debate this from the standpoint that all ye who enter this thread, are aware of the entire series, here are my predictions:

Season four, as absurd as it was,would be as much fun gaming as was watching the series completely lose its focus on why it had been so successful.

Sorry, I just don't think much fun would be derived from adding strategic planning to the die roll to make sure Anders pilots the entire fleet into the sun successfully. Maybe allowing "evasive maneuvers" to be played for non pilot Tory prior to being strangled by Chief, could be "interesting" or more likely, NOT.

If it were thematic, I would say that FFG could heavily market "FFG, like the cylons, have a plan", or "who will the final 5 be for BSG expansion 2". Then of course, show us a "Opera house Crisis card" and such, before the game is released. When the final game arrives, see to it that there is no actual Opera House card in the box afterall - now that is "thematic".

Perhaps they can really impress me and others, and present some logical, better writing, and provide endings 100 times better than were offered in season 4. Furthermore, why not call it "BSG Season 4 of the reimagined series, reimagined" by FFG". I'll buy it for sure with that title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

No, i just meant that would be the end of the next expansion. A final expansion would cover the season 4 developments, which would be quite possibly very different in game mechanics. i was just saying that the Ionian Nebula battle is the last time the Cylons were 100% enemies of humanity.

Whew! Okay, then that's not lame. From this bit:

Quote:
Honestly, an expansion going any farther than the season 3 finale, with the Algae Planet/Temple of the 5/Battle of the Ionian Nebula, will be a bit too hard to pull off with the game mechanics as they are. I would love to see one taking the fleet all the way to pre-historic Earth, but, I just can't see it working. If anyone can pull it off, though, its FFG and Corey K.

Perhaps the game would end with the arrival at the Algae Planet and then the endgame could be the Battle of the Ionian Nebula,

...it sounded like you thought that should be it, end of! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i see what you meant now... I could have worded that a lot better. What I was saying was that the next expansion could end at the Ionian Nebula since from that point forward, you have the Cylon civil war, the Final 5 stuff, Starbuck's ultimate fate, etc... all of which I think would require a change in game mechanics, hence a third and final expansion.

By the way, is it just me, or does Dr. Zee look like John Denver and Paul Williams' (especially in Smokey & The Bandit) love child?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
The Cylons had a plan. It just was just kind of obvious and not that interesting. But they had a plan.

Well, one of them did.

Anyway, in terms of characters my bets for the next expansion are Three (Cylon), Gaeta (Military), Tory (political) and Anders (Pilot), plus a support or two. I'm assuming here that we'll get Leoben instead of Three for Pegasus, which is not a safe assumption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.