Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
So playing my first game a couple days ago with my girlfriend, the very first encounter she had was 'Strange Customs' for matrix I. And she chose 'Honor', then rolled a blank on the destiny die. This directs you to paragraph 1005. The problem is the text made no sense because it talked about her living with her spouse, then her spouse dying, and what not. Which made no sense at all for our very first encounter.

This was so out of place and confused us badly enough that I thought we did something wrong. But upon re-reading the rules and double checking the matrices, I believe it's a misprint and that it should link to paragraph 1002. Because all destiny die results for those paragraphs make sense, and if you do end up going to 1003 it leads you further to 1004, 1005, and 1006 depending on your skills, statuses, and choices made.

I would prefer to have an official ruling, but I am fairly certain that under matrix I, Strange and Honor should point to paragraph 1002.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, I was going to report a problem with Matrix I "Bloodthirsty vs. Honor", it seemed that the paragraph should have been 2059, not 2058.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks. I'll have to make a note of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same issue in our first game. It wasn't our first encounter, but it still was weird since the person in question wasn't married. We didn't check other paragraphs nearby, I'm guessing that 1002 does things depending on if you are married?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I read it as: You met someone in the town and got married. Unfortunately, there was a STRANGE CUSTOM in the town that you did not know about, that if your spouse dies, you must be buried with them.

Your spouse dies, and then you get to choose what to do.

Admittedly it is a little weird to all of a sudden get married. I think the wording is just a little off.

The best idea with this game is to just 'go with the flow' and let it tell it's story, no matter how odd it gets sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
My read is the same as Christian's.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That's what we thought, that all of a sudden you're married and your spouse just as suddenly died. But after the game I went back and checked the other paragraphs and what I found is, 1001 and 1002 have encounters that fit the strange customs idea, then 1003 fits as well but actually has the encounter where you can get married or not and can possibly take you to the next couple of paragraphs based on what happens. Which is why paragraph 1005 is so confusing, because it's in the middle of a string of paragraphs that work together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
My read is the same as Christian's.

This is one of those cases like on multiple choice tests where they ask you to pick the best answer. Yeah, you can kind of squint and rationalize and see how (c) is sorta right, but if you do that and ignore clearly-right (d), well then you're sort of missing the point.

In this case, (c) is that you CAN make it make sense, and (d) is, no really, is it on the right paragraph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, looks like it should point to 1004. I will mark it on a FAQ I'm working on. It can work as is but a better intro would be needed.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
Hmmm, looks like it should point to 1004. I will mark it on a FAQ I'm working on. It can work as is but a better intro would be needed.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.

Thanks for checking into this. Yeah I thought it was a little weird that it said married when the person in question wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BeanThere wrote:
So playing my first game a couple days ago with my girlfriend, the very first encounter she had was 'Strange Customs' for matrix I. And she chose 'Honor', then rolled a blank on the destiny die. This directs you to paragraph 1005. The problem is the text made no sense because it talked about her living with her spouse, then her spouse dying, and what not. Which made no sense at all for our very first encounter.

This was so out of place and confused us badly enough that I thought we did something wrong. But upon re-reading the rules and double checking the matrices, I believe it's a misprint and that it should link to paragraph 1002. Because all destiny die results for those paragraphs make sense, and if you do end up going to 1003 it leads you further to 1004, 1005, and 1006 depending on your skills, statuses, and choices made.

I would prefer to have an official ruling, but I am fairly certain that under matrix I, Strange and Honor should point to paragraph 1002.

Paragraphs 1004-1006 form a "cascade" of paragraphs which you can enter at any point. The introduction to paragraph 1005 is a little too telegraphic, but it basically makes sense; it should say something like "You have made a comfortable life in this land and are now joined in marriage to one who fills your life with joy...." Basically, if you were married before, you still are, and if you weren't, you are now.

A similar introduction should be assumed for paragraph 1006. All of the outcomes of that paragraph should have "Lose Married" as a result, which is an omission for which I will throw myself down a well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cheepicus wrote:
Weird, I was going to report a problem with Matrix I "Bloodthirsty vs. Honor", it seemed that the paragraph should have been 2059, not 2058.

You're right: paragraph 2057 as written doesn't make any sense as the result of an "Honor" decision. If I told you how hard we worked to try to avoid that kind of error, I'd weep. So, back into the well with me. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
womzilla wrote:
If I told you how hard we worked to try to avoid that kind of error, I'd weep. So, back into the well with me. :-(
Oh, I can imagine how difficult it must have been to do QA on the book of tales. gulprobotzombiecrysnorerobotzombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.