Subject: Explore Catan anew with Agricola-like wooden tokens! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Peck
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hello boardgamergeekers! I have recently played Catan - Cities and Knights with some friends and a number of great wooden tokens available from Mayday Games. Basically these replace the trading cards for wood, sheep, wheat, ore, and brick with small "meeple" sized wooden tokens.
meeple

Our experience was a good one. The shapes seemed to be easier to trade than cards. Some of us just let our tokens be freely seen, while others of us would place them in a small cup. When it was time to place the robber, the player under duress would offer up a resource of his/her choosing. If the robber (player doing the stealing) didn't want that particular resource, then he would freely pick from the cup the first one his finger would be drawn to.

Another option we wanted to try was when a "seven" would come up, we would role a 6 sided die to see what resource the robber would steal for us. 1-5 represents one of the five main resources, while a six is one of your choosing. This seems to work quite well, especially when reserving the robber placement for when "militia" development cards are played. After all, seven does come up on the dice quite a bit, and it gets old placing the robber and stealing from other players IMO.

Please see the links below for suggestions on where to find these tokens that will enhance your experience in Catan.

Fantastically easy to trade wooden Catan tokens:
http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories

Link to small dice cup to use w/ hidden your resources:
http://boardgamebits.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also use Mayday Cataneeples when we play. If folks don't want to "hide" their resources, you're worried (as my wife was) that folks wouldn't remember what corresponded to what on a 1d6, may I suggest you pick up (if you feel like it) Catan Dice Game and use one of the dice from that to determine what one might take when thieving.

Works great for us and gives an extra little bit of Catan-Pimping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Incao
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With five resources to pick from in the game... what is on the sixth side of the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this a review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not, more like an advertisement. Or just general information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
It's not, more like an advertisement. Or just general information.

It's not just "like" an advertisement, it *is* an advertisement.

And the product is superior, how, exactly? There's no way the mechanism described for using the robber can be an improvement on selecting a card from another player's hand.

Overenthusiastic stretching of what was a good idea (bits for Agricola) by Mayday Games, methinks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Peck
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I suppose you could look at it that way, but really I just needed something better than resource cards for trading since mine had become haggard. Take my review/post which ever way you want, I just really enjoy customizing my games and the Catan wooden tokens are a great addition.

Peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Beijner
Sweden
-
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>what is on the sixth side of the dice

Gold. Resource of your choice in most Settlers games (Seafarers, Cities&Knights and of course Dice game....but in the latter you need 2 gold to get a free choice resource)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.