Popular Tags: [View All]
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently and for no apparent reason, I became interested in this game : Kata-Kiuchi: The Raid on Lord Kira's House. Because the original release was universally panned for horrid production quality I decided to try and make my own. To that end I want plastic samurai. Any size between the 15mm and 52mm. 17 of them to be exact - all identical or in two groups. The second choice would be an assortment of minis - in this case I would have to devise some sort of interchangeable bases since the strength of each miniature is hidden in this game.

I tried the Plastic Soldiers Review with these results :

Caesar - "Japanese : Samurai with Ninja" : I liked the samurai but I don't think ninjas are a match.
HYTTY/Odemars - "Samurai" : Odd poses and peculiar costumes.
HYTTY - "Historic Figures" : Only one samurai
LW - "Samurai Warriors" : Badly made, lots of flash.
RedBox - "Warrior Monks", "Ashigaru" (Archers and Arquebusiers), (Spearmen), (Command and Support Group) : I would prefer swords to bows or spears and definitely - no arquebuses.

The general internet search for the "plastic samurai" turned up nothing.

Please help.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Last year, then I espied some WHITE & BLACK plastic "ninjas" of around 28mm overall size, at the local $Dollar Tree, with around 10 or more of EACH color per bag. Check out yours there, or kindly inquire to any others about these from theirs, while I'll look for any at mine here as well, and good luck on that.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb

Alas I believe them to be lead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Let's see... you'd have to buy 5 copies of Ghost Stories to get 17 figures, and that would come out to roughly $165. But you'd have a lot of leftover game parts to trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronin, Ronin, Ronin.....
Try these infantry from Zvezda:
www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=448
I've got other sets and the quality of those is suberb for plastics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie and its various expansions?

They have some fairly nice Samurai figures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scratches wrote:

Let's see... you'd have to buy 5 copies of Ghost Stories to get 17 figures, and that would come out to roughly $165. But you'd have a lot of leftover game parts to trade

Chinese aren't really Japanese samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the Zvezda Samurai that misteralan suggested above. Three boxes would give you 18 identical swordsmen poses.

It might be worth raiding an old copy of Ikusa. Comes with five sets of 37 spearmen, 9 gunners, 9 bowmen 9 swordsmen and 3 army marker flagmen and 3 corresponding experience marker flagmen in orange, red, pale blue, purple and green. Also includes 26 Ronin in grey and a black ninja (not to mention 10 plastic castle and 5 fortification markers.) Figures are 1/72 scale.

PSR even did an article on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many auctions for Samurai Sword aka Shogun pieces on ebay. One of my pet peeves is that someone is constantly posting the auctions for Samurai Sword figures for the new Queen game Shogun and getting geekgold for abusing the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Try these infantry from Zvezda:
www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=448
I've got other sets and the quality of those is suberb for plastics.

The Zvezda stuff is very cool, and can be purchased here for a great price (and it's a very reliable online retailer):

http://www.thewarstore.com/product38278.html
http://www.thewarstore.com/product38283.html
http://www.thewarstore.com/product38287.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
It might be worth raiding an old copy of Ikusa. Comes with five sets of 37 spearmen, 9 gunners, 9 bowmen 9 swordsmen and 3 army marker flagmen and 3 corresponding experience marker flagmen in orange, red, pale blue, purple and green. Also includes 26 Ronin in grey and a black ninja (not to mention 10 plastic castle and 5 fortification markers.) Figures are 1/72 scale.

Seconded! There is a uncomplete version at the marketplace at the moment. You'll find images of Zvezda miniatures used instead of Samurai Swords pieces at the respective image gallery by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am grateful to all who stopped by, thank you. Unfortunately, I am bereft of 'gold', thumbs is all I have left. Now for the details.

Robert Wesley (GROGnads) wrote:
Last year, then I espied some WHITE & BLACK plastic "ninjas" of around 28mm overall size, at the local $Dollar Tree...
I went to a Dollar tree in Blaine WA yesterday - no luck for this boy - police, firefighters, cowboys and indians. No ninja ninja ninja .

Rob Robinson (zombiegod) wrote:
Alas I believe them to be lead
Awesome minis though. Too rich for me and my painting skills suck, but I'm definitely spending more time on that site!

alan beaumont (misteralan) wrote:
Try these infantry from Zvezda:...

Eric N (earache) wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Zvezda Samurai ...

Jeff Yeackle (jyeackle) wrote:
The Zvezda stuff is very cool, and can be purchased here ...
Yes! So far this is the best one I've seen on the Plastic Soldier Review! I don't understand why I didn't see it when I did a 'text search' for the 'samurai'. Mind you, the second search page wouldn't load for me. The problem here is that I would have to devise a system of interchangeable bases since each mini has a different strength in the game. Either that or buy three sets to create a group of 17 identical figs.

- Bob - (Ashitaka) wrote:
You might also consider HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie and its various expansions?
This sounds intriguing. So far I've discovered Izumi Samurai, Ninjas and Samurai and Samurai and Lawmen. However, for some reason I can't find a good picture of the minis - most pictures are of the pack the minis come in with barely an outline of each fig visible through the packaging. Yes, and the prices are brutal - Ninjas and Samurai 40USD on Amazon for three samurai and three ninja ninja ninja .

Eric N (earache) wrote:
It might be worth raiding an old copy of Samurai Swords...

Ralph T (ralpher) wrote:
There are many auctions for Samurai Sword aka Shogun pieces on ebay...

Nils (bert_nerdsen) wrote:
Seconded! There is a uncomplete version at the marketplace at the moment...
Yes! Samurai Sword is were I'm starting! There are 23 people on the Geek who claim to have parts. May be I'll get lucky!

Booker Hooker (Scratches) wrote:
Humour? HUMOUR?! Here I stand, poised on the brink of an important decision that will hold me equal to the great minds and leaders in the history of HISTORY and you are making light of it?!! I should think when my game is complete I will march it right over to Asheville, we'll sit down to it and I will KICK YOUR ASS good Sir!

Again, thank you all. There's lots to think about here.

Take care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ned Ludd wrote:
I am grateful to all who stopped by, thank you. Unfortunately, I am bereft of 'gold', thumbs is all I have left. Now for the details.

- Bob - (Ashitaka) wrote:
You might also consider HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie and its various expansions?
This sounds intriguing. So far I've discovered Izumi Samurai, Ninjas and Samurai and Samurai and Lawmen. However, for some reason I can't find a good picture of the minis - most pictures are of the pack the minis come in with barely an outline of each fig visible through the packaging. Yes, and the prices are brutal - Ninjas and Samurai 40USD on Amazon for three samurai and three ninja ninja ninja .

You might consider ebay for cheaper sources or even check the bits section of BGG. There are some HS specific sites (outside of BGG) that may help with pictures and acquisition. I can also check my selection of remaining HS figures and perhaps we could arrange a trade if I have anything left that fits the bill. LMK.

Good Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
You might consider ebay for cheaper sources or even check the bits section of BGG.
I'm on it as we speak.
Ashitaka wrote:
I can also check my selection of remaining HS figures and perhaps we could arrange a trade if I have anything left that fits the bill.
Yes a TRADE ! I like trades. I am looking for 17 figures. Please, GM if you can help me. I'm not on the Geek as much as I used to be but I get copies of GMs sent to my regular address.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the Samurai Swords/Shogun. I looked at the pictures here on BGG and I am confused. All the armies appear to be colour coded like this :

but the swordsmen look black
like this
and this

Are they not a part of an army? Do they come in different colours? How many are in the box?

Please, help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie had a few, and there were others in various expansions, all nicely painted. A few images:

Ninjas, too, if you need those:

There are more than I've shown here, but it takes awhile to sift through so many images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those gray swordsmen are Ronin and they can be hired on a per turn basis by any clan. The normal armies (Samurai Swordsmen, Samurai Bowmen, Ashigaru Spearmen and Gunmen) are color coded to match the banner figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Those gray swordsmen are Ronin ...
Thank you very much for your response, I didn't know that. These are the swordsmen :

Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found my rules, there's 26 Ronin pieces in the game. Of the others, I'm not sure what the exact is, but there's 72 units per army, and that includes at least 36 spearmen, one Danimyo, and 6 banner bearers. If memory serves there are about 10 gunners. That leaves 19 for the swordsmen and bowmen. Good luck!

PS: The counts are from my original Shogun rules. I doubt they changed the mix when they changed the name to Samurai Swords though.

PPS: Just checked a photo out, seems about 9 swordsmen, gunners and bowmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry Miniatures make some great metal Samurai:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Perry Miniatures ...
I really like their stuff, but they are in England. Right now this is the toss-up between Perry and Old Glory - If I decide to go metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.