Subject: Modern warfare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all! It maybe has been asked before, so sorry about it . Also, I'm not sure if I should post this in wargaming, or in recommendations, but here seems more appropiate, not sure.
Well, I have no real experience in wargames, although I plan to remedy that in the future... to the matter.

I'm searching for a game about modern technology, may it be tanks or airplanes, naval warships or single man equipment&weapons.
It will be a present for my brother, who happens to like all sorts of military things in existance, which contagied me the hobby too lol.
The only problem, is we don't like the World Wars theme/technology, and there's a very high % of WW games out there, but not so much modern ones.

To start with, I would like advices and recommendations for any kind of games which feature modern warfare, as I don't really know any of them.
Maybe after reviewing them, i'll decide some parameters, but to start, I think he will like most of them, maybe avoiding the ones that are longer to play and/or too complex, as he doesn't have much time (yes, I suppose most of 'em are long AND complex, and having not much time is bad for wargames ).

I've only located these two for now World at War: Eisenbach Gap, Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare, so please, recommend me with everything you want.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gulf Strike - can be had used very cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamemaster J.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I never try to miss an opportunity to promote my new game. It's perfect for you and your bro. It doesn't take long to learn or to play and you can play as many battles as you guys want in a single sitting. The prob with games like Axis and Allies and WW games is that they are all board games that require a lot of setup and play time.

I love those games though, so don't think I'm knocking them. But I wanted to play that type of game without all the complexities. Plus, I'm a fan of miniatures wargaming and I love the idea of creating the perfect, deadly fighting force to wipe out my opponent. Soooo... I created a customizable card game called OPFOR:Opposing Force and I just released it to the market. It retails for 15.99 online.

It's based on our modern military. The starter set is a 2 player set with two basic PLATOONS (playing decks) that you can expand upon with Booster Packs and Expansion Sets that include weapons, special forces and such. I have several more that I'm working on in the OPFOR series. One is OPFOR: METAL MONSTERS which will feature entire armored divisions including the M1 Abrams Tanks and TOW Missile Systems. But enough chatting....

Here's the link to purchase and the official game description: (you can also download the rules when you get to the site)

http://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/opfor-opposing-force---t...

WAR HAS BEEN DECLARED! Build your Basecamp... Assemble your troops... Devastate the OPPOSING FORCE!!!

OpFor: Opposing Force™ is a customizable strategic card game in which you take command of a modern military force.

Build your basecamp consisting of Barracks - you'll need these to deploy your Personnel to the Battlefield
Send in your Infantry and go head to head with your enemy
Use your Medics save your defeated soldiers from being removed from the Battlefield
Demoralize enemy forces by sending your Snipers to the Battlefield.
Dish out orders to your troops by using the Special Action cards to perform tactical maneuvers on your enemy, giving you the edge you need to succeed in combat
Earn rewards by completing Special Missions
It's total chaos on the Battlefield as you struggle to keep the Opposing Force at bay while ensuring the survival of your General.

Wipe out the enemy forces or kill the General to claim your victory!

The Boot Camp Boxed Edition is a starter set that includes 2 forty-five card preconstructed Skirmish Decks representing 2 Platoons. Each Platoon consists of 1 General, 12 Soldiers, 3 Medics, 1 Sniper, 15 Barracks, 10 Special Action cards and 3 Special Mission cards.

BUILD A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH!!! COMING SOON: OpFor: Opposing Force™ expansion packs that allow you to build a more deadly fighting force:

Supply Dumps and Motor Pools to add to your Basecamp
Weapons and Equipment for your soldiers in battle
Mechanized Infantry: powerful soldiers to add to your growing force
Battle Tanks and Field Artillery to bombard your enemy's Basecamp
Anti-tank Vehicles to get rid of those pesky enemy Tanks
Navy SEALs for those sneaky missions behind enemy lines
All new Special Action and Mission Cards
New Generals with new Special Abilities

COMING THIS FALL:

OpFor: Opposing Force™: Metal Monsters - a stand alone armored vehicle combat card game
OpFor: Opposing Force™: Flyboys - a stand alone aerial combat card game
OpFor: Opposing Force™: Deep 6 - a stand alone naval combat card game
**A portion of the procedes from the sale of OPFOR will be donated to Operation Homefront, a charity that lends help and support to the families of our service men and women. If you want to get involved, go to operationhomefront.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
World at War: Eisenbach Gap is the game for you! Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the GDW World War Three series was good. It was playable, had a unique feel--and captured the differences between the nationalities involved. It had four sets and they all played differently--and combining them was easy to do (just required a large playing area). Nukes were interesting--because they could grow out of control of the players.

I thought Flight Leader and Tac Air were pretty good for air games.

For naval stuff, Harpoon remains state of the art. I also liked the old Victory Games Fleet series of games though they are a bit abstracted.

Also good was Victory Games' VIETNAM. The campaign game is Loooooooonnnnngggggg, but the game captures pretty well the difficulty of dealing with an insurgency.

I also remember Avalon Hill taking a game called FIREPOWER and publishing it--it was 1 counter: 1 man in scale--so that your force was never more than a couple squads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
To add something not already mentioned you might consider MBT (first edition).

It's not modern in the sense of "today" but it considered modern in terms of wargames. It's tactical in nature and supports 2-6 players. Playing time is around 60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given what we played back in the day when I was in a US armored BN in D-land during the early '80's, I'd suggest Assault: Tactical Combat in Europe – 1985 as a place to start. Accurate & easy to bring up to date (I did it in about a month in the '90's.) it's a great sim of what we really faced in those days. Most of the current "modern" games don't realize just how fast those of us in Germany would have died... We could have sat there eating T-72's all day but that Tac-Nuke would have ended the issue.

There was a reason we talked about villages in southern Germany being 1 2 or 4 or even 10 KT apart... devil The officers hated us talking that way, but let's face it, understanding your terrain then meant knowing how many nukes you had cover from

Frank Chadwick was excellent at putting numbers to what others didn't want to see. That's GDW in a nutshell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
...and I'll FORM the "head `em OFF at the don't PASS so easily on these!" some:
The Hunt for Red October

Red Storm Rising

A Line in the Sand: The Battle of Iraq

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
wlewisiii wrote:
Given what we played back in the day when I was in a US armored BN in D-land during the early '80's, I'd suggest Assault: Tactical Combat in Europe – 1985 as a place to start. Accurate & easy to bring up to date (I did it in about a month in the '90's.) it's a great sim of what we really faced in those days. Most of the current "modern" games don't realize just how fast those of us in Germany would have died... We could have sat there eating T-72's all day but that Tac-Nuke would have ended the issue.

There was a reason we talked about villages in southern Germany being 1 2 or 4 or even 10 KT apart... devil The officers hated us talking that way, but let's face it, understanding your terrain then meant knowing how many nukes you had cover from

Frank Chadwick was excellent at putting numbers to what others didn't want to see. That's GDW in a nutshell.

I always knew there was a reason why I stayed CONUS when I served back in the early 80's too. I guess we did our job because the mushroom never went up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the responses, I'll be studying the games all of you mentioned, and hopefully I will make the good election.

Keep the suggestions coming though!, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like miniatures games, check this one out. It's modern, has several factions (such as U.S., European, Chinese, Middle-Eastern), have rules for tanks, helicopters and jets, RPGs, roadside bombs, etc. The figures are also pre-painted.
Battlefield Evolution
Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some to consider:

Birds of Prey: Air Combat in the Jet Age
Angola (pre-order it from MMP)
Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972
Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good choices! Maybe not Red October so much, But Red Storm Rising is a very good and accesiable game and Line in the Sand works well too.

But if you are really interested in more techncial details, these are pretty high level. You won't learn anything about the hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PT POGO
msg tools
How about:

Day of Heroes

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25727
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:
You guys are just starting out in wargaming so I would recommend World at War: Eisenbach Gap.
It is 1980's (so no political current war arguements), very easy to learn and quick to play and there are other games in the series that you can expand to.

Although many wargamers still consider the 1980s as contemporary, air, land, and sea warfare have changed considerably since then. Modern militaries have many more air-breather and satellite sensors (inlcuding commercial assets) supporting them with tactical intelligence; data links are accelerating and improving common operating pictures (COP); precision-guided munitions (especially missiles) are playing a greater role; and information warfare (particularly in cyber-space) has transformed the boundaries of the battlespace from the tactical and operational to the global.

I don't think any simulation of 1980s combat can really due justice to 21st Century warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
All the posts have been helpful. I'm lookin for a game after ww2, the closest to nowadays technology the best. But I also like the ones set in 80's and such, so every suggestion on the post has been appreciated, count on it.

For now I'm inclined towards World at War: Eisenbach Gap as it seems short and easy enough without losing a lot of depth or playability. But the decision can still change it's course..

Thanks again!

Edited to clarify again, I agree with the last 2 posts, I mean, I also consider there's a gap from 80's to today's technology and methods to war, but I also like the 80's ones, because I don't feel they're so out of date like the WW2 ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.