Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just purchased this game..I have a question for those who have played this game few times and i consider them to be the veterans..

Why is it that Players can not bring additional longboats into the game ??
I realize there is only one longboat but if there was multiple boats in the game for each nation, there would have been more battles and more siege....

Just asking................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess from a story point of view you are the captain of a fleet of raiders that just happens to be represented by one longboat like you also have more than five raiders on the actual boat, I guess. That would also explain why the boat seems to get bigger as the game progress.

Also, the game is really not about battles between players. Yes, you can block the other vikings and some card allow you to attack a viking settlement, but that's a small part of the game.

Still a great game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
questfordragonlords wrote:
I just purchased this game..I have a question for those who have played this game few times and i consider them to be the veterans..

Why is it that Players can not bring additional longboats into the game ??

I realize there is only one longboat but if there was multiple boats in the game for each nation, there would have been more battles and more siege.... Just asking................

Because those are the rules; the game is what the designer intended it to be.

From the Introduction . . .

"Fire & Axe gives players a hint of what the life of their (sic) Norse ancestors was like. Each player (or "Viking") will take their longboat on a series of voyages. . . . How well you acquire wealth, fame and fortune will determine the impact your Viking makes on the savage world of Dak Ages Europe."

The player is in the role of a Viking leading a crew on one longboat.

Fire & Axe is not a wargame, and certanly not a simulation, though it is pretty true to its theme IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that would arise from having multiple longboats is that the game would end up being quite different than it is now, i.e it would become more of a wargame, which was obviously not intended by the designer(s) and imo would detract from the game.
I also think that several longboats would make the game too unwieldy, having to change the balance of the conquests etc that are up for grabs.
While the word simulation is a bit of a stretch the game does give the players a nice feel for exploration, and it's a game that works very well for me as it is, and it's one that is much underappreciated here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Because those are the rules; the game is what the designer intended it to be.

Ok, that's pretty straightforward, and I think also for questfordragonlords.
The point is different to me. Here some complications:

- having two or three longboats per player would mean have the same number of cardboard discs to represent the ships on the boardgame.

- most of the rules should be rewritten. How much rune card in hand? how many actions in single turn? longboats share the same amount of time? longboats share the same captain or load? imagine how complicated would become the good days of weather rule.

- more boats means a longer player turn, so a much more longer game.

- three longboats means you could be able to close a saga (or even two) in one single turn undisturbed, and that is highly against the spirit of the game.

- spread your fleet means you could reach two different places in a very short time. Unlikely in the original game.

my rational sense says: It is a great game as is.
No one prevent you to come up with two or three variant, but be aware to do not change the original game balance/spirit... unless is a different game you are realy searching for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.