Subject: Train game that plays well with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looking to purchase a train game that has more depth than TTR. It needs to play well with 2 players (80% of my games will be 2 player and the balance will be with 3 players). I've read a number of reviews but don't have a good feel for how the more highly rated train games (e.g. Railroad Tycoon, Chicago express) actually play with two players. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been playing Railroad Tycoon and Chicago Express for a while, and I'd say they're definitely not as good with 2 (and not as good with 3 as with more, but much worse with 2). So I wouldn't suggest those if you're going to be doing 80% 2 player. I might suggest Union Pacific - it's also by Alan Moon, like TTR, but it definitely has more depth, and while it isn't perfect with 2, I think it's a lot better with 2 than either RRT or CE. The Empire Builder series of games might also appeal to you - I've played those 2 player too, although not for a while, and I remember them being good that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some recent discussions with hotlinks regarding your question:

Train Game Comparison

Heavier Train games that play well with 2 players

train games - help me choose past ticket to ride (TTR)

A true train game? (esp. for 2er)

Any train games play decent with 2?

Check out the video for Empire Builder on This Geeklist.

We just bought and played India Rails 2-player and enjoyed it very much. It seems overly complicated and confusing at the beginning--because you are learning the map and the game (it was our first Empire Builder/crayon rails type game), but it is very engaging, challenging, satisfying, and enjoyable.

Good luck!!

Mrs. Mystery Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Here are some recent discussions with hotlinks regarding your question:

Train Game Comparison

Heavier Train games that play well with 2 players

train games - help me choose past ticket to ride (TTR)

A true train game? (esp. for 2er)

Any train games play decent with 2?

Check out the video for Empire Builder on This Geeklist.

We just bought and played India Rails 2-player and enjoyed it very much. It seems overly complicated and confusing at the beginning--because you are learning the map and the game (it was our first Empire Builder/crayon rails type game), but it is very engaging, challenging, satisfying, and enjoyable.

Good luck!!

Mrs. Mystery Bob

Very helpful links; thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy playing TransAmerica with 2P, it really becomes tense trying to figure out when to connect to the other player's line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that Stephenson's Rocket plays well with two, but it is long out of print and hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am partial to the Empire Builder series of games, having played all of them two player at some point.

Quote:
I found that Stephenson's Rocket plays well with two, but it is long out of
print and hard to find.

This is an excellent game. There are several shrinked copies in the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverton is an excellent 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite of the crayon rail games with two players is British Rails. The geography is constricted due to the shape of Great Britain, and there is less chance that the two of you will play two completely separate games on the same map at the same time, i.e. multiplayer solitaire.

Crayon Rails games are a lot of fun, I was thinking about pulling one out to play with my sons tomorrow after lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
+1 on Silverton.... Very good game for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
+1 on Silverton.... Very good game for two.

This.

Silverton even plays well as a solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorite 2 player game is currently Railroad Tycoon. Just use the middle section (the board is actually 3 different pieces) and it's great as a 2 player. I noticed someone said it wasn't good as a two player; I can see that if two players used all three sections, but otherwise it's the best train game, and one of the best two player games imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I had a satisfying 2-player of Nippon Rails. Japan is constricted enough that you cannot avoid each other. The main knock against it relative to the British Isles is that if you are not familiar with Japanese cities, it might take a bit of startup to find various spots, but there are lots of good aids for this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new train game due to be released soon. It's an introductory game for the 18xx series called 18EZ. The designers say it plays well with 2 players. Might be what you're looking for. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.