Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As you may have guessed from the title, I'm not the biggest fan of "Star Wars Episode I - Customizable Card Game". I bought it second-hand for my 7-year old son. I sat down to help him play with a friend. The game went like this:

Dark Side: Play Darth Sidious.
Light Side: Draw a card
Dark Side: Darth Sidious attacks, which the light side to discard 11 cards. That turns out to include almost all of the Light side's characters, thereby rendering 80% of the remaining cards (and any point continuing) useless.

And that's how it seemed to go. Your deck has 5 character cards, around which all actions revolve. If you don't draw those characters early, or they get discarded by attacks, then the six or so other cards directly related to those characters (and the couple your opponent has - attacking and traps and encounters are all character-dependant) are also redundant.

The structure of the game and the discard mechanic means that an attack that does 1 damage (forces one discard) can be more effective than one that does 7 damage- if the single discarded card is a character.

A couple more games went with long times of both players just drawing a card, hoping to get something useable.

If that's your idea of fun, by all means, buy this game.

Me, I'm about to pour myself a cocktail to wash the stink of wasted time and brain-numbing gameplay away, and try not to weep for what happened when someone had the opportunity to do a Star Wars game and came up with something that drove two 7 year-olds to terminal boredom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
well it sounds like it would get a 10 for theme integration then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Always seemed fairly obvious to me that this game was pushed out without a lot of playtesting or concern about actual gameplay. In their closing years, this was typical of Wizkids -- make clever looking figures and hook the target pre-adolescent audience that way, and then rely on the "gotta collect 'em all" mindset to ensure you could keep selling product, with the game itself being pretty much just a tacked-on afterthought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend picked this up for $1.00. We played about 10 times. I hated it every single time, even when I won. We tried a few house rules, it made it worse. It is beyond broken. This thing is a greasy stain on Decipher's otherwise clean white shirt. (And I've enjoyed every other game I've played of theirs.) I consider it to be very extremely overpriced at $1.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Always seemed fairly obvious to me that this game was pushed out without a lot of playtesting or concern about actual gameplay. In their closing years, this was typical of Wizkids -- make clever looking figures and hook the target pre-adolescent audience that way, and then rely on the "gotta collect 'em all" mindset to ensure you could keep selling product, with the game itself being pretty much just a tacked-on afterthought.

What does this have to do with WizKids? This game wasn't made by WizKids (unless I'm missing something), and isn't even collectable at all. It's "customizable", but all the customization comes from the cards provided within the game (IE, building your own decks, rather than using the pre-built ones) - I don't even think there ARE expansions for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atrox7 wrote:
My friend picked this up for $1.00. We played about 10 times. I hated it every single time, even when I won. We tried a few house rules, it made it worse. It is beyond broken. This thing is a greasy stain on Decipher's otherwise clean white shirt. (And I've enjoyed every other game I've played of theirs.) I consider it to be very extremely overpriced at $1.00.

Decipher's shirt is far from clean. They're fantastic at making game systems, generally, but if you look at what cards they print for those game systems... eew (and this is from someone who started gaming with Decipher CCGs). Star Wars was a superb example of this, with Lord of the Rings faring only a bit better. If anything, Decipher is a master of running systems straight into the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh, come now, Minty! I think you're being far too kind with that review.

mintyh wrote:
Dark Side: Play Darth Sidious.
Light Side: Draw a card
Dark Side: Darth Sidious attacks, which the light side to discard 11 cards.

I believe there should be a fourth step in there to complete the cycle of fun: "Gouge your eyes out with a spork"

Make mine a double...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with all you say Eliot, (I started with their 1st Trek game through most of the rest they produced) but you did remind me of one other big big big Decipher stain...Austin Powers!!! But otherwise, this one seems like it was intended for someone who had never played a CCG before. Something to kind of get them hooked on the idea and interested in Young Jedi. But rather, this would turn anyone off. It is a big stinker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Heh. Well, possibly, except that it could quite easily have been JarJar that caused that much destruction. Still, given his impact on the quality of Phantom Menace, perhaps I just proved your point again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
I believe there should be a fourth step in there to complete the cycle of fun: "Gouge your eyes out with a spork".

Oh please, Mr Lunch, I was playing with kids- a gouging of eyes would only have added to their lingering unease. I settled instead for repeated applications of Battlestar Galactica and Space Crusade- ah, blissful, fun sci-fi relief!

Ps. Instead of sporks, you should try the half knife, half fork. Believe me, it's amazing how much fun you can have with a nice set of knorks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

It does. And for what it's worth, my kids LOVE this game. It's perfect for my boys and for me I see it as a kids game. It would not be fun for me to play with my (adult) friends but it is perfect for my boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm a big fan of whatever gets kids playing games, and different strokes for different folks. I'm glad to hear that someone's enjoying this game.

But for us, two Star Wars-mad 7 year olds were pleading for it to stop...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.