Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I played our first 13 games today with the base set, AtMoM, and AH. I had tossed together a Yog/Hastur deck, a Cthulhu/Shub deck, and a Miskatonic/Agency deck. He stuck with the latter for the whole time and I split the games between the other two decks. I won 7 of the 13, so it was a nice, even match. However, the match-ups with the Yog/Hastur deck were almost always complete runaways for one side or the other. Either he wilted in front of my Terror icons and Yog's targeted removal or he got characters down that I just couldn't keep up with. The games with Cthulhu/Shub vs. his deck, OTOH, were tense and exciting the whole way through and included a couple amazing comebacks by both of us. The experience left me thinking that, overall, a Miskatonic/Cthulhu deck might be one that is very difficult to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the more competitive players here will probably have a more valid opinion than mine, but I have never really thought of any particular combination of factions necessarily being more competitive than others (although most of my experience was with the whole set of original CCG cards vs. just the LCG cards now). In competition, I believe many people would acknowledge that Cthulhu was one of the most generally powerful factions, while Miskatonic was arguably one of the last effective overall. Opinions probably vary widely. Towards the end of the time I was playing, I think Shub Niggurath was dominating, at least in my local meta, primarily because of Ghoul Khanum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
^ Yeah but all of that goes right out the window with LCG...

Frankly I think Miskatonic has got some really strong effects right now, and quite a lot to offer. And Hastur (the other perennial whipping boy of the CCG) is possibly the strongest or second strongest faction out there, getting nothing but amazing cards in the Asylum pack series.

Traditional pairings tend to go:

Agency/MU
Agency/Syndicate
Yog/Shub
Cthulhu/Hastur

However, there are plenty of other good combinations out there to play around with. Personally, I think a really skilled player using an Agency/MU deck will win most of the time. However, Cthulhu/Shub has probably their best chances against that deck.

How to play Shocking Transformation in a Cthulhu/Shub deck:

1. Did you draw the Ravager? No? Good.
2. Do NOT play it on your turn. Leave a 3-domain open on their turn.
3. Wait until he's committed all his characters to a story.
4. Play Shocking Transformation on any one of your characters, and go get the Ravager from your deck.
5. Commit the Ravager, wounding all of your opponent's characters, thus decimating him.

It's a lot of fun. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

4. Play Shocking Transformation on any one of your characters, and go get the Ravager from your deck.
5. Commit the Ravager, wounding all of your opponent's characters, thus decimating him.

It's a lot of fun. devil

Oooh, that smiley is spot on, ebil indeed.

*takes notes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

It's a lot of fun. devil

Heh. I pulled off what was almost that exact play this weekend. The only difference was that he put all but one character on a story. Ravager: "Greetings!"

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about either Cthulhu/Miskatonic or Hastur/Miskatonic now (plus 2 or 3 other decks as alternates.) The two of us are going to make an attempt to start a league and I'd like to sit in the LGS and play a series of matches with some capable decks to attract attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an interesting game a couple of days ago with Hastur and Miskatonic University.

I've had similar games with my Hastur deck as described above . . . namely, there is a bit of a risk that I just get nothing super useful in time to keep up with the Agency's firepower. Overall, however, it's been pretty even.

I've really enjoyed almost all of the deck faction combinations for various reasons, most of which have to do with the fact that I'm not a tournament player, so I always come at this game from a recreational angle.

Good luck with your league!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.