StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am researching WWII 15mm tanks.

I have found three primary manufacturers that appear to be the front runners.

Battle Front produces units for the game Flames of War.
I have found on eBay shops that each tank runs about $9.90 +/- $1.00

Quality Castings run about $8.00 per unit over at the WarWeb

Old Glory's Command Decision units (also at WarWeb) come in bags of 3 units and run about $14 +/- $1.00.

I do own a few Battle Front and some Command Decsion miniatures. While the cost averaging would definitly favor the Command Decison line, I am currious if anyone can speak of the quality and detail aspects of all three brands (or others if note worthy).

The molds of the Command Decision units appear to have a bit of age as the units I have are not very crisp and sharp.

The few Battle Front Miniatures I have show a lot of detail but seem a little out of proportion... Maybe they are a little too tall... Also from various online photos this line looks a little cartoon'ish as the detail seems exagerated sometimes.

I have no experience with the Quality Castings products. There are threads on TMP that say their older molds are on par with Command Decision (meaning loss of detail and crispness) but newer units added to the line are done very well and appear crisp and sharp.

Cost aside can anyone speak as to the production quality of each of these product lines? Is there another 15mm line I should consider in the sub $10.00 price range per unit?

Thank you for the input...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
QRF, though they don't make absolutely everything.
Peter Pig are very nice but might be out of the $10 range due to shipping from the UK.

I like the Battlefront vehicles I have, mostly Shermans and PZIV's and jeeps and trucks and such. They are a little bit taller than they should be, supposedly to look right next to based figures FWIW.
The Command Decision line has some good stuff, and some bad stuff, there was a Yahoo group that had a bunch of photos of their vehicles, if I can remember which one I will post it.
Haven't seen any of the new Quality Castings stuff, they were my original 15mm WWII figs back in the 80's and the older figs are a bit small compared to current 15mm from what I have seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Allen
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battlefront figures are probably the most consistent in quality.

The newer Quality Castings figs are quite good, they tend to have more pieces than the other manufacturers (though this is probably less of an issue with tanks).

The QRF and Peter Pig figs are nice but both can be expensive after shipping is figured in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a mixture of these products would they look ok next to each other?

I am considering the Quick Reaction Forces and Quality Casting products next to the Battle Front and Command Decision units I already own. I understand if I have a Sherman from each line they will obviously look different, but from the 3-foot view will differing units look at least semi-compatible?

I am looking to fill in the units that BF and CD do not make with QRF and QC products.

Thank you for the advice thus far... I had never heard of QRF until this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer Peter Pig (Range 8). Great variety, heavy, high-quality castings... I have a metric ton of these and really have no complaints. You can find them through Peter Pig direct (but watch shipping as mentioned by Duncan)- and you can also find them through Brookhurst Hobbies online- their US distributor. Sometimes you can get a better deal direct--- even with shipping factored in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Allen
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

It really depends on the particular model, I have a bunch of Shermans from different manufacturers and they are not noticeably differnt unless they are sitting side by side (and sometimes the differences are useful if you want to be able to tell units apart). On the other hand I have 3 Panthers that are noticeably differrent sizes (and somewhat different proportions as well).

I think that as long as you stick to one manufacturer for a particular model you should be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that wargamesminis.com has a 50% sale on QRF products.

A lot has been sold out but I was abble to get some Brittish and Russian tanks I wanted.

I bought 20 units and paid less than $100USD and paid a flat shipping of $6.75...

Brookhurst it looks is the only supplier of Peter Pig in the US. Fortunately I live about 45mins away. From what I can find online it looks like the WWII product line is resin cast. Is this true?
Are the units produced like other brands (hull, turret, barrel and tracks)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Allen
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the Peter Pig Vehicles are metal and the wrecks are resin (and some of their wreck models are really nice). I haven't bought any of their vehicles for a few years so that might have changed.

They are usually the same number of parts/model as other manufacturers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

The few Battle Front Miniatures I have show a lot of detail but seem a little out of proportion... Maybe they are a little too tall... Also from various online photos this line looks a little cartoon'ish as the detail seems exagerated sometimes.

It is my understanding that the elongated height of the tanks is meant to offset the infantry being on think bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have figs from Quality Cast (QC), Old Glory (OG), Peter Pig (PP), Quick Reaction Force (QRF), Battle Front (BF), Resistant Rooster (RR) and Yucca (Y).

OG - I like the infantry poses, plus it is hard to beat the price per head. Their tanks are easiest to assemble. Like that crew are separately packaged from guns.

PP - Infantry are real nice, but maybe a little think. On a side note, their modern Africa figs are sweet. The vehicles are a little expensive and some seem think.

QC - Very early models from them were not very good. They started redoing the models and were then top notch. I think that there are very few models left from the old days. Infantry was OK. Really like the Japanese vehicles. These guys were making landing craft (US and Jap) way before anyone else. The guns can be overly complicated to assemble, especially the AA guns. Many vehicles to choose from.

QRF - Nice vehicles. Lots of modern here too.

RR - Their infantry looks really good, but was turned off by the large size, maybe 18mm. No vehicles that I know of.

Y - Umm..just stay away from. Out of production anyway.

BF - Do not really like the infantry poses. I think they are all copied from one nationality to another. Vehicles are nice, though I only buy the ones that only I need one or two of.

Also there is a company called True North that makes Dutch and Poles (and maybe Romanians) are are really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For vehicles:
My MW Germans are all Battlefront and I am happy with them
My LW Germans are almost all Command Decision and I am happy with them too
My Russians are predominately Gaming Models (only $4 per tank) with some CD thrown in. The Gaming Models stuff is not as good as CD or BF but it is a fraction of the price.
My Americans are all CD

Infantry and artillery wise:
My MW Germans are mostly BF and I like them
My LW Germans are mainly Essex with some CD mixed in. I am yet to paint them but they look OK in the bare metal
My Russians are a mix of BF and CD. I would not have both manufacturers in the same unit but in the same force they are fine.
My Americans are all CD

A lot depends on what you want. When I was buying my EW Russians the prospect of getting 30+ tanks for one force at £6.00 per tank did not appeal but as the $ was at 2 to the £ at the time Gaming Models made lots of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

If you haven't already, you should re-post this question in the www.theminiaturespage.com boards under WWII Land - WWII Models Review or WWII Discussion.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=229

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I forgot about the Gaming Models (GM).

The GM come "painted". They are not show pieces. They are a light resin that often have very tiny holes that were air bubbles during pouring. They also have landing craft. I bought several trucks when they were $3 a piece, because I hate to spend much on something that does not shoot.

On a side note, there is no web store, I offered to sell their stuff through a web store and Craig told me he wanted to stay small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back from my vacation I have been able to check out my QRF lot... I was able to get 14 of the 20 ordered units...

I am generally happy with most of the purchase but find many of the barrels are beat to hell and twisted. Not sure how to go about straightening them without breaking them...

The QRF Sherman Firefly is over shadowed by the FOW M4A3/76 Sherman (FOW-US050)... This is ok as the QRFs were on sale...

I have been researching the FOW line and am trying to find a shop willing to work a deal on bulk purchases as I try to fill in my missing desired units.

It seems BattleFront has a strangle hold on retailers (alla GW) as the best discount I've seen is 10% off of the MSRP.

Spending $200 an order I would think would bring a dicount of some sort... I've found several sites that offer 10% off and free shipping at $75+ per order... Any suggestions on this?

I have been checking the TMP site for additional suggestions but have yet to join and post there... Not enough hours in a day to keep up with the various forums I visit on top of family, work and personal obligations...

I am seriously considering some of the Gaming Models line... especially at $4 a pop... Apparently they now have a webstore... How do they compare next to like FOW models?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe a new company: Forged in Battle resin castings

http://www.forgedinbattle.com/battle_ready_system.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE wrote:

As others have mentioned, it will often depend on which models from each range you are using. You may have to experiment with one from here and one from there, and end up with a few that just don't fit. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but I found that some of the later A&A minis (from the point where they attempted to standardize vehicle scale) actually work well when mixed in with regular wargame minis (the T-34s were an acceptable fit with BF T-34s, using the "three foot" rule*, allowing me to field a larger Soviet tank unit, at a lower cost, when purchased as singles, and using the BF models as my command tanks).

One fairly safe mixing method is to go with one company for all your vehicles, and another for all your infantry.

*How do your models look when viewed from three feet away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Find Command Decision at deep discount here
http://www.warweb.com/World-War-II_c833.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind assembling plastic models, you can go with The Plastic Soldier Company. At £17.50 for a box of 5 15mm vehicles, that works out to only £3.50 each. They charge 20% shipping outside of Europe, and if you figure in the exchange rate (these days about $1.60 per £), that works out to $6.72 each.

Don't overlook that QRF has a "Multi-pack" deal for some of their vehicles, £16 for 5 or £30 for 10: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A second vote for Forged in Battle. Their models are well detailed and work very well for Flames of War. The only downside is that most of the models are sculpted on a base. If you like to do your own basing or if you prefer no base at all for your AFV's you might not like these as much. One of the cool things, though, is that they have models of AFV's that were pretty rare. In some cases they do models for tanks that never existed except for on paper (such as the German E-50)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Cooper
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Don't totally rule out the plastic models.
Zvezda has some 15mm models out now, and they can be bought for $4 each at some online stores.
Plastic Soldiers is selling their 15mm models in boxes containing 5 models for about $25.
These companies seem to be concentrating on the more common AFVs so far, but in the future they may get around to covering some of the less common ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't mentioned which rule set you're using. 15 - 20 tanks seems like an awful lot of vehicles unless you've got quite a large gaming table.

StevenE wrote:
Back from my vacation I have been able to check out my QRF lot... I was able to get 14 of the 20 ordered units...

I am generally happy with most of the purchase but find many of the barrels are beat to hell and twisted. Not sure how to go about straightening them without breaking them...

The QRF Sherman Firefly is over shadowed by the FOW M4A3/76 Sherman (FOW-US050)... This is ok as the QRFs were on sale...

I have been researching the FOW line and am trying to find a shop willing to work a deal on bulk purchases as I try to fill in my missing desired units.

It seems BattleFront has a strangle hold on retailers (alla GW) as the best discount I've seen is 10% off of the MSRP.

Spending $200 an order I would think would bring a dicount of some sort... I've found several sites that offer 10% off and free shipping at $75+ per order... Any suggestions on this?

I have been checking the TMP site for additional suggestions but have yet to join and post there... Not enough hours in a day to keep up with the various forums I visit on top of family, work and personal obligations...

I am seriously considering some of the Gaming Models line... especially at $4 a pop... Apparently they now have a webstore... How do they compare next to like FOW models?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For infantry/crews I use almose exclusive Old Glory because of the price, animation and availability of desired subjects. They also have enough "base" to ensure good contact when mounting, and are soft enough to resist accidental snapping.

For vehicles I bought heavily into Quality Castings when they were retailing at miniatures cons.

QC originally manufactured miniatures in the 1950s for the U.S. military for training purposes, or so I'm told. I also own an HO scale set with a fire engine, a ladder truck, and some firefighters to ride on them which was apparently produced for the model RR trade, made by QC and boxed.

Piece by piece, QC revamped their line during the '80s. The new pieces are excellent. When I was buying, they were available individually but also QC began offering them in three-packs for some types.

In a three-pack of Shermans, one will find three models of the same Sherman version (75mm, 76mm, cast hull, welded hull, VV suspension, HV suspension) and each hull will have subtle differences--bedrolls here or there, a box mounted on a fender, crew packs slung, etc.

The TC hatches began to be made as separate parts with the option of a closed hatch or the upper body of the TC "standing" in the hatch. The TC figures are also nicely varied.

AA MGs were offered separately--don't know about now--I suppose because not all gamers wanted to go to the trouble of mounting something easily broken off in handling.

The detail and proportions of the new QC stuff is great and they're all-metal so have nice "heft" on the table. Open-topped vehicles (halftracks, mortar carriers, M7s, etc.) have terrific interior detail including stowed ammunition, radios, etc.

I haven't purchased any vehicles lately--still working on Germans and US--but would go to QC first if I was expanding existing armies.

QC's guns are very good, little works of art really, though a number of pieces are required for assembly. Old Glory's guns are good basic models of what they represent and fine for wargaming.

Old Glory's vehicles are pretty good, not quite as detailed as QC's remakes but close enough to be compatible.

I prefer all-metal to resin or resin/metal mix--in my experience resin has a nasty habit of breaking in thin spots (halftrack sides, for instance) if accidentally bonked by something.

Hope this helps a little with the QC info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Cooper
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
You can see pics of some of the QC models at oldglory15s.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, how consistent are QC models regarding their scale? I bought a pack of 3 Old Glory / Command Decision Hetzers. I measured it's length and width and they match a 1/100 scale compared with the real thing. But the height is about 5 mm shorter than it should for a 1/100 model, and I've read on TMP that CD models are known to be squatter than others. Are QC models accurate with regard to their dimensions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
Barry, how consistent are QC models regarding their scale? I bought a pack of 3 Old Glory / Command Decision Hetzers. I measured it's length and width and they match a 1/100 scale compared with the real thing. But the height is about 5 mm shorter than it should for a 1/100 model, and I've read on TMP that CD models are known to be squatter than others. Are QC models accurate with regard to their dimensions?

In white metal casting of this type the molds are generally made from natural or silicone rubber. If an original model is made to the correct dimensions it will usually experience an number of decreases in size between the original model and a finished production model owing to the way the mold is clamped. This is true in both the mold making and casting process. This shrink is not uniform over all dimensions. When I was making models of tanks it was easier (by a wide margin) to position the hulls and turrets in the molds in such a way that most of the shrink would occur the Height of the model. There are a number of ways to correct for this problem when making molds. However they are all a hassle. You will find this height v width dimension disparity in many white metal vehicles. For the same reason of ease in mold positioning you will find that most infantry figures have the opposite problem if you look at them closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.