Subject: The Missing Game Component rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dicetower [+] diy [+] Cool! [+] SYFY [+] [View All]
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The dice tower is adorned with images from the Galaxy Trucker game and includes a dice tray for containing the dice as they tumble out of the tower. This keeps them from disturbing the other game components on the table.

For storage, the dice tower lays neatly inside the dice tray.

When constructed, a green flashing LED light was hung from the second ramp inside the tower and wires were run to the bottom of the dice tower.

The wires were connected to a 9 volt battery snap.

When connected, the LED flashes as the dice fall through the tower. The picture does not do justice to the effect of the flashing light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Unbelievably cool.

It was just another nice foam core dice tower with graphics until the LED came into it. You raised the bar for all other dice towers.

I seem to recall that LEDs burn out if you connect them directly to 9V. We used to put a 1000 ohm resistor in there to prevent this. Your LED has a circuit inside to do the blinking, so this may already be covered. But check the packaging and make sure it's supposed to handle 9V. A lot of electronics works on less these days.

I bet the constant flashing really adds to the tension of Galaxy Trucker.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The LED came from http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/bl-214f.html and is specifically for 6-12 volt DC use. Per the site, it is a "100,000 hour super bright with a dropping resistor." So, hopefully no concerns with the LED burning out prematurely. Based on other information I was able to find on the site, it looks like I can expect the battery to last 40+ hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, one of those new-fangled LEDs. In *my* day you have to buy a separate resistor. These LEDs with resistors and whole blinky circuits inside, do you know we needed six or eight parts to get an LED to blink. We learned about transistors back then! Now you just connect it to a battery. Society is falling apart.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelly Jamison
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks for the mention!
Shelly here from Evan Designs (the seller of the LEDs you mentioned).
We fully guarantee the lights for 2 years from time of purchase. In 3 years selling we have gotten only a small handful back to replace. Usually when someone breaks it during installation. Or runs a 6-12V LED at 18 volts.

Did you know? You can bend the LED right at the stalk up to 90 degrees to get a better fit if needed. LEDs are bent to fit them into computer keyboards and cellphones, etc.
LEDs can be directional, with 35 degree light spread. To get more light spread you can sand down the very top of the plastic "bubble" to almost flat. This will increase light spread to 120 degrees or more. Not that you needed to do any of that, your install looks great! Just general info....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate this the coolest Dice Tower ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!

Amazing and great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.