Tales of the Arabian Nights» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I would like to know the answer to your question, too. I will be playing this game (mainly) solo and that may spoil the fun element even more .
The game is pretty expensive (£45 from my FLGS) so it is important to know the answer.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played three times so far and haven't had a single repeat paragraph. The fact that skills and treasure can change what happens in your paragraph means that even if you end up with the same final paragraph number, the result can be dramatically different.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja wrote:
Is the game replayable? Or does it get repetitive since the same chapters or paragraphs would be re-read many times, etc.? Spoilers would be revealed and less interesting the second time you play them, etc.?

Far from being an expert (only one play so far), with hundreds and hundreds of paragraphs the play will be quite varied even if you play it a bunch. Add that to the natural decay of human memory and forgetting the little things, even if you come across a passage that sounds familiar, it either only sounds familiar and has results you never experienced before, or it is one you've encountered before but this time you may have a skill or treasure this time around which you didn't before leading to different results.

Even the sections you think might get repetitive sooner than later (since they use the same encounter Matrix over and over), there's the destiny die. The destiny die will thwart your plans even if you might know what could happen and in many cases a further die roll is needed for a result so success is not always guaranteed.

Honestly I think one would get tired of the game before they were able to memorize too much of it. Also, keep in mind this is a story telling experience (with some light 'take that' action) more so than a competitive game. If you play to strategize and compete, you'll probably get pretty flustered since the fun is in randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you DO get a repeat paragraph the current set up of your character will change how it affects your "story". Plus it is only one paragraph of many in the days play. I played 3 games in a row on the night of purchase and nothing remotely similar happened to Ali Baba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3 3-player games so far. Each time at least a couple of us have become "imprisoned" sometimes twice - what bad luck!!! When one has this unfortunate status you don't have regular encounters you just encounter a jailer with a random selection of hot and cold adjectives: six in total. And you must choose your reaction from the same Matrix each time. With all these imprisonments we've had, we've havent had a repeat paragraph yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tong Chi Wai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game yesterday. Let's try if the replayability is high or not....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
with hundreds and hundreds of paragraphs the play will be quite varied even if you play it a bunch.

Actually its thousands I think its nearly 3000?

Its a 300 page tome of adventures each one being just a couple paragraphs. I would imagine that even in hundreds of plays it would be rare to have repeats.

Even Jailed and Lost have significant variety due to the destiny die, skills or treasure that might apply, and what reaction you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in our FIRST game we have heard the same paragraph and solution twice, it was the frist and the third which was read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
25 years later people are still enjoying the original version, which had even fewer paragraphs.
I believe it is fair to say that the system have proven its replayability!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

a) The Book of Tales has 2000 entries, most with two results (one result if you have such-and-such a skill, another if you don't). In each game, a player may have, what, ten to twenty encounters? And each encounter has eight choices, with each choice having three entries. And, as you play, the encounters scale so that, as your character develops, the encounters become more exotic and interesting.

b) More than half the weight of the game is the book. Yeah, it's replayable. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability is a fair question, but I think you also should consider it's replayability compared to other games.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another game with a higher degree of replayability, in terms of original content. If there is such a game, I'd really like to know what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seven plays so far, and only a couple repeat paragraphs. Even with the repeats, you usually can't remember what happened, and depending on the skills you have the outcome will be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuzzle wrote:
I have seven plays so far, and only a couple repeat paragraphs. Even with the repeats, you usually can't remember what happened, and depending on the skills you have the outcome will be different.

Yes, especially since you are not supposed to tell people what skills will affect a given event. So only the player actually reading the paragraph will have any idea of what could be useful where.

Except for common sense, which is useful in most games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to answer this question from a different angle. Sure there are lots, *lots* of paragraphs, and the abilities you bring to them mean they aren't really the same if you hit them again, but it's inarguable that eventually you will have seen enough of the game enough time that it won't be as fun as it was new.

The question is how long until this happens, did you have $60 worth of fun, and did you get enough of the game before it was "used up?"

For the first question, I think you're looking at There are two thousand paragraphs, and let's say a third of those are Place of Power or other rare situations you don't see often. You see a couple paragraphs per turn, and there are probably thirty turns in a game, perhaps? That means something like to dozen games before *you* see *one* paragraph that *you* have seen before, and you're not going to remember whether you tried to aid it, pray about it, or seduce it. If you've got a great memory and play with four or five players, after three dozen games you're going to hear a choice you've heard before a half dozen times per game. Of course, the next time you hear them you may not have the same options, and even with a perfect memory all you'll really remember is "I'm not going to steal *that* thing again..."

Did you have $60 worth of fun? Sure, you had that after, well, the game is the price of six movie tickets, do your own calculation. Even if you attach no dollar value to the fun your friends have and consider the game half as much fun as a movie you have your money's worth after twelve plays.

Did you get enough of the game before it staled on you? Most people will. If you love the game so much that you're still dying to play after forty games when it starts to repeat a little, didn't you have so much fun that the "lack" of replayability is a non-issue in whether or not to buy it?

Our family has played twice, and only once has anyone managed to get to a Place Of Power. There are, like, eight of them. I don't think we'll wear the game out soon.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Sure there are lots, *lots* of paragraphs, and the abilities you bring to them mean they aren't really the same if you hit them again, but it's inarguable that eventually you will have seen enough of the game enough time that it won't be as fun as it was new.

Which is exactly why we keep buying new games!
This game is no worse or better than most other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.