Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the ability of any player to jump in at any moment and change the relationship of the cards being played, is there method of keeping track of the math on the fly?

I can imagine using a player aid card having numbers on it, and sliding a token along it to show the current total as each new factor is introduced.

Maybe a more sophisticated system using one token for "multiplier" values and another for "added/subtracted" values?

Or learn to use an abacus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A handful of dice always sufficed when we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The examples have values in the 30's. Too many d6... besides, just showing the value is no help when the value changes because a multiplier no longer applies. I'm looking for a "logic based" notational system so you don't have to re-calculate from scratch after every change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, it's not that hard to keep track. On our first few games we used sliced-up post-it notes. After that--well, once you get familiar with the cards, it's not that terribly hard to add things up on the spot.

Most changes come from 1) Plot cards and resources, 2) NWOs and 3) other groups in your power structure.

Plot cards and resources are easy--just slide the card underneath the affected card to note its effect. NWOs change frequently, but there's only three at a time, so it's not that hard to keep track. And EVERYONE has to keep track so it's not easy to forget. Other groups in your power structure are usually pretty rare in number, so you only need to pay attention to one or two cards.

Temporary power can change a lot, but since it's temporary you don't need to worry too much about it.

However, very few of your groups should have power permanently in the 30s, so you're usually talking about variations of a point or two. The numbers change more than in other games, but not THAT much. I would suggest sticky notes until you're familiar with everything, then just use your memory after that.

Now, I will say that keeping track of the values in a particular battle can get pretty nasty. I usually keep a pad handy and we write the totals down, add and subtract, as we go. It can get messy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.