6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Please Refresh My Memory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JXT Hidden
msg tools
Hello!

This is my first post to this forum, so I hope I've understood the forum structure and am posting in the correct section. If not, I hope a moderator will move it and let me know the way to go.

I need a little help refreshing my memory on a game I've played only once before. I can only remember bits and pieces of it, but it was a lot of fun from what I can recall, so hopefully someone can piece it together for me.

It's a board game. It was set somewhere in an Asia type setting. You have a village and so do others. You set out and slowly have more and more foot soldiers and horsemen. The horsemen can travel faster than the foot soldiers. You have to protect your lands from the European invaders who are very strong. To expand your land, you have to set out and conquer the natives for whatever land you are attempting to control.

That unfortunately is about all I can remember. I think there may have been monks or something as one of your people, but I honestly can't recall. I really wish I could piece it together because it was a fun game and I'm batting zero here trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I appreciate your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOME TO BGG!

It would be helpful, if you could tell us:

- in which era did it take place (medieval, ancient, modern?)
- wooden cubes or miniatures as bits?
- which countries on the map?
- how long to play?
- rather "open rules" (some movement, some interaction, and the rest is up to the players) or rather "wargame"-feeling (lots of different counters with different values, combat resolved by dice, etc.)?

This way, one could check the advanced game search and / or geeklists to research for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how old you think the game may or may not be could help to identify, and welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China: The Middle Kingdom?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/368234

Protector of the Empire
?
"Protector of the Empire is a strategy game of conquest, diplomacy, civilization building, and treachery. It portrays historical events in Japan, Korea, and China from the collapse of the Han Dynasty shortly before 200 until around 1500. It is designed for 3 to 5 players. Regional powers like the Mongol empire, the Three Kingdoms of Korea, Nippon, Annam, Nanchao, and several Chinese dynasties can be depicted in the game.

The game uses plastic playing pieces to represent armies, fleets, temples, monuments, cities, independent kingdoms, and tribute collected from a conquered province. The map uses area movement with terrain features including the Great Wall, forests, and mountains."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JXT Hidden
msg tools
duchamp wrote:
WELCOME TO BGG!

It would be helpful, if you could tell us:

- in which era did it take place (medieval, ancient, modern?)
- wooden cubes or miniatures as bits?
- which countries on the map?
- how long to play?
- rather "open rules" (some movement, some interaction, and the rest is up to the players) or rather "wargame"-feeling (lots of different counters with different values, combat resolved by dice, etc.)?

This way, one could check the advanced game search and / or geeklists to research for this.

Thank you for the setup! I may be able to give more insight this way.

- I believe it was more of an ancient setup.
- Miniatures as the bits (no wooden pieces)
- I don't recall there being specific countries on the maps, but it was outlined in small areas with "paths" between each one through which your had to make your pieces travel.
- I believe it took about 90 minutes to play
- It was more of an open rules game. There were some conflicts, but the game also had portions centered around growing your village and warrior populations.

To answer another question, the board was very well drawn. It wasn't the simplistic looking map outlines as you would see in Risk or a game such as that. It was very detailed, very ornate.

Also, I played this game back in late 2007 or early 2008. (Yes, it's sad that I can't remember more about it even though it's only been a couple years).

As for the two games listed by the other members, I appreciate the efforts, but they are not the game.

I sincerely wish I could provide more information. It is quite frustrating for me to not be able to recall this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one with paths - but no horsemen or conquering ... but you never know-
The Bridges of Shangri-La

This one hasn`t too much info here ...
Hexostrategy: Invasion of Mongols

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.