Puerto Rico» Forums » Rules

Subject: Major end game rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Pablo Reyes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi, I played yesterday Puerto Rico for the first time with two friends, we reached a situation in which there was only one colonist left on the pile and at the end of the major phase there was not enough colonists to refill the boat (of course). We played two more phases since the major phase was chosen by the player who had the governor card and we finished the game at the end of the round.
The game lasted less than one hour and the final scores were:
Player 1 33VP
Player 2 30VP
Player 3 28VP
Is that normal? We felt that a lot of things didn't happen, for instance nobody bought a large building and very few of the most expensive ones weren't bought either.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you had a common rules mistake: When you refill the boat at the end of the major phase, you only count free spots on buildings, not on plantations.

But most likely you did anything right. It's normal for a beginners games that it ends on running out of colonists, and that the scores are quite low.

With more experience, you might not build a cheap building you can affort, and save money for a more powerful but expensive one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played PR much (ever?) with three players, but the scores seem a bit low. PR can be kind of confusing for the first few plays, so I wouldn't worry about it.

One mistake I've seen made is in counting the colonists to refill the ship, only city spaces are counted, not plantation spaces. Counting plantation spaces would greatly speed up running out of colonists. A file in the PR files section is something like frequent PR rules mistakes; you might take a look through that list.

In a usual PR game, in my experience, the three game-ending conditions hit at almost the same time: running out of colonists, running out of VPs, and someone filling their city. (Of course, number of colonists and VPs vary by number of players.)

It might just be that the lack of a prospector inhibited the building strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Pablo Reyes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite common for beginning players to end with low scores and the colonists running out. More advanced players have higher scores and one of the other end conditions.

The reason for this is that newer players are obsessed with having enough colonists for everything on their board, and also having more than the other players. So Mayor is taken excessively and quite needlessly. Also, beginning players are not as adept at building up a strong money or victory point engine, making it harder to get to the massive victory points or big buildings.

Try new strategies, and remember that your opponents' roles will often give you what you need.

Yehuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Pablo Reyes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Excellent comment thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.