United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to Formula D, so forgive me for this most basic question.

First off, when rolling for gears, must a player use all the number rolled? (i.e. if I roll a 4, can I choose to move 1, 2 or 3 spaces or must I move the total 4? If I must move 4 spaces, what happens in the event of a collision, or am I missing something?)

This question then pertains to corners, if I am in a high gear and my roll takes me through the corner, do I have to use up all of the die roll or may I stop at any point? I would assume that I must use up all of the die roll, which then will affect wear damage scoring, am I correct?

Sorry for this basic newbie question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must use all of your dice pips... or else, you have to use your brakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Trigueiro
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
You must use all of your dice pips... or else, you have to use your brakes

That's it...and if you don't have enough break points your car is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
I am new to Formula D, so forgive me for this most basic question.

First off, when rolling for gears, must a player use all the number rolled? (i.e. if I roll a 4, can I choose to move 1, 2 or 3 spaces or must I move the total 4?

As Ken wrote, you must move 4, but you can reduce the actual number of spaces moved by expending brake wear. 1 brake wear = 1 space.

JoffW wrote:
If I must move 4 spaces, what happens in the event of a collision, or am I missing something?)

I don't have the Formula D rules, but the Formula De rule reads as . . .

"A car with insufficient brake or tire points to avoid a blockage, or one that is prevented from moving seven or more spaces, is eliminated. The car in front loses a body work point."

The table for how many points to lose should be in the rulebook (It's on Page 1 of the Formula De rulesbook.). Look under Blockage.

JoffW wrote:
This question then pertains to corners, if I am in a high gear and my roll takes me through the corner, do I have to use up all of the die roll or may I stop at any point? I would assume that I must use up all of the die roll, which then will affect wear damage scoring, am I correct?

That's correct. You lose one tire wear point for each space that you overshoot the corner. You can also use a combination of brake and tire wear. For example, if your roll would take you two spaces past the corner's end, you can (1) lose two tire wear points, or (2) take one brake wear point to reduce the overshoot to 1 space, and then take 1 tire wear point, or (3) take two brake wear points to avoid overshooting the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I have now re-reviewed the Braking rules in the Basic rule book and seen that this is indeed the case. Thanks once again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Depends on the type of tyre - on softs the tyre wear penalty for each space overshot is double

JoffW wrote:

That's correct. You lose one tire wear point for each space that you overshoot the corner. You can also use a combination of brake and tire wear. For example, if your roll would take you two spaces past the corner's end, you can (1) lose two tire wear points, or (2) take one brake wear point to reduce the overshoot to 1 space, and then take 1 tire wear point, or (3) take two brake wear points to avoid overshooting the corner.

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.