Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is about the same size as any other GMT type box. It is not as sturdy as a GMT box, but is much more sturdy than an MMP box.
The game came with the map, counters, rules and charts. Pretty much everything that comes in a hex & counter war game.
I did not think it was exceptionally full nor empty. Not sure where the question is coming from. shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the game but would ask if the box is large enough to hold a counter tray? If so this is likely your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they are standardizing boxes? The Kaiser's Pirates comes in a full size box but could have very easily come in a Pacific Typhoon sized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the box could have been thinner.
Here is a comparison between Worthington Games two latest releases:

So, could Medwar have fit in the Chainmail size box? I suppose it could have. The width and length have to be he same to fit the rules and map, so the depth is all we are talking about here.

Inside my box. I guess there is room to spare. I used the extra depth to add my counter boxes. I like them better than bags.

So, I could concur that the box could have been thinner. It still fits on my crowded shelf, so I'm okay with it. Plus, fitting counter boxes in is always a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Room for counter tray?
Note for Scott-- yes, you certainly could get a book-case sized counter tray in there, without feeling crowded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the box was probably too big (is that really possible?) for the contents but it was our first game with this printer (who had never done games before). We went with a standard size box (same as for Cowboys and Prussia, etc) to be safe. Once we saw the job they could do we went to a smaller box for Chainmail. We will probably use the smaller box for map and counter games but the larger box for block games (like Caesar's Gallic War which comes out in about 2 weeks).

Hope that helps.

All the best and happy gaming!
Grant Wylie
Worthington Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
map
Sure is a good looking map, guys! Great job on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think MedWar looks good you should check out our newest game Chainmail. I think it looks even better.

Happy Gaming!

Grant Wylie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it.

The good:
Box clearly stated there were solo rules included to back up the solo rating. Which insured my purchase.

Map is clear and functional.

Rules look short and clear on initial scanning.

Low counter...err count.

The bad:

Map is slighty bent as its folded over in the box

Two cards that display a personal view of the campaign by Mr.Berg that is at odds with mine, One where Montgomery is depicted as an Axis advantage (yes you read it right) and the other that Patton is depicted as a superhero.

Happily it looks to be easily modified by throwing away both cards.

Now to see how it plays. I have high hopes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Two cards that display a personal view of the campaign by Mr.Berg that is at odds with mine, One where Montgomery is depicted as an Axis advantage (yes you read it right) and the other that Patton is depicted as a superhero."

Not y personal view at all . . . the cards are used to provide the players with "opportunities" based on certain characteristics the events on the card portray. They do reflect a penchant for aggression as opposed to methodical caution . . . in this specific campaign.

Of course, you can discard any cards you wish . . . but that would be letting your personal view dictate the play of the game, would it not?

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

While I respect the viewpoint I havent seen any evidence that the 8th Army was delayed or slowed down by anything other than Axis forces, certainly no choices or decisions by Montgomery to stop for no reason.

If anything one could squarely lay any blame at the feet of their boss Alexander for extending the 8th Army's boundaries of operation into the 7ths (although you would then also have to give him credit for both armies successes).

Either way I reject the notion that Montgomerys personality delayed any 8th Army advance or that Pattons personality sped up US troops. They both did an adequate job of advancing when their enemy was not present and engaging when he was.

My opinion (for what its worth) is that when dealing with ww2 generals (and these two egomaniacs in particular) it is better to minimise any judgement on their impact and bump it up to the players level of control. The reason being that their impact was most often in the selection of the targets of the advance and effort, this is already within the players control in your game.

For me a far more fruitful line of event cards would focus on the rather lackluster Allied air and sea afforts.

Anyways I hope you will take my comments into consideration for the rest of the series, as the designer it is obviously your final call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, was the movie "Patton" listed as a source? The account you describe on the cards between those two is certainly the potrayal of the characters in the movie.

I kid, I kid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Lantau Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Either way I reject the notion that Montgomerys personality delayed any 8th Army advance or that Pattons personality sped up US troops. They both did an adequate job of advancing when their enemy was not present and engaging when he was.

Well, I've done a lot of reading (of various sources, both British and American) on the Italian Campaign prior to playing Medwar: Sicily, and my personal opinion is diametrically opposed to the quote above.
I'm not saying Montgomery was a bad general (he wasn't, IMO) or Patton was the war's best general (he wasn't, IMO), but I think the facts largely refute the opinion criticizing Mr. Berg's card presentation.

I support Mr. Berg's presentation of the cards 100%!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montgomery was a very deliberative general. Patton was an aggressive general. Montgomery was good at pre-planning an operation. His success at Alamein came about through perfect planning, however, the follow through allowed Rommel's defeated forces to fight another day or almost another 9 months more in this case. Market-Garden was Montgomery's perfectly planned failure. Once things fell apart and that occurred on day one, Montgomery seemed stuck to his old plans. Patton was an old calvary officer who believed in the battle of maneuver. His flanking maneuver to Syracuse was a bit off track, though. It allowed the Germans to focus on Montgomery. He was stmyied at Metz when he couldn't crack the German defenses. His success at liberating Bastogne will go down as pure brilliance. Both Generals had their advantages and disadvantages. I think the cards point this out correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses gents.

I would love to see the citations of Montgomery slowing down the allied advance in Sicily. I know of none, so I would glady learn something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a comment the basis of which I neither understand nor agree with . . . (It's not a negative . . .)

"It uses a similar system as Avalon Hills Battle of the Bulge from 1991."

I would think not ion any way, but would be interested to hear of the similarities . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the Bulge was just the first thing I thought of after reading the rules even though the similarities may be minimal. Looking forward to playing both Medwar and Chainmail very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is anyone actually playing this game? No session reports, no reviews.

I'm on the fence guys, help me out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to incite someone to write some comments over in Consimworld . . . we've got players, but, obviously, not writers . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the limited feedback numbers here, it seems the major complaint is playing time. A couple of folks have commented that the game takes far longer than 3 hours to play to completion.

There are certainly appear to be some creative wrinkles in what looks to be a simple game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"There are certainly appear to be some creative wrinkles in what looks to be a simple game system."

I assume that's a compliment . . . at least I hope so. Simple game systems can lead to some "complex" play decisions, which is where the fun is. Same applies to Worthington's CHAINMAIL. . .

Hope you're enjoying this stuff; that's what it's for . . .

Thanx, RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I assume that's a compliment . . . at least I hope so.

It certainly was intended to be. A game that is straightforward without a lot of levels of complexity for complexity's sake is just what I'm after. And I agree, simple game does not mean simple decisions.

I first discounted Command and Colors Ancients, for example, as just a lesson in attrition warfare. Did not seem to be a lot of decisions to make, too dice/card heavy, etc. I've since rethought that and the more I look at that game, the more I appreciate the design.

I've got my copy of Sicily on the way and I might write a play report here once I get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
Here's a comment the basis of which I neither understand nor agree with . . . (It's not a negative . . .)

"It uses a similar system as Avalon Hills Battle of the Bulge from 1991."

I would think not ion any way, but would be interested to hear of the similarities . . .

RHB

It's completely obvious to me - they both come in carboard boxes (albeit of different dimensions), the maps of both game have hexes, dice are used in the resolution of combat, both games utilise cardboard combat counters and both campaigns featured Mister Patton and Mister Montgomery.

Given your experience in game design, Richard, I am really surprised that you have to ask to have someone explain it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.