9 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » General

Subject: Fortress America rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emiel Van Marwijk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the general opion about this game.
I purchased this game a few years ago, it was already out of print for years at that time and i payed a substancial amount of money to obtain this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some consider it the best of the Gamemaster series. Still quite good, and best with 4, but ok with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the best four player light wargames ever created. There's not only the overt conflict between the US and the three invaders, but also the growing tension amongst the three invaders, only one of whom can finish victorious, should the US fall. Makes for excellent backstabbing moments in what always seems to prove a close and exciting contest. Don't do what I did and wait for years to get this gem to the table - play it TODAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome dicefest depicting simultaneous attack on the U.S. a la Red Dawn. What's not to love?

The asymmetrical conditions always make for a tense game as you reach about turns 5-7. Either the invaders can pull off the win or the U.S. gets strong enough to repel the them. It's one of the few Ameritrash games I enjoy. Some of my gamer friends disagree, however, as it can be rather long for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Money well spent.

Set it up and try a turn or two, even if you have to play solitaire.

Fortress America is fast and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
Some consider it the best of the Gamemaster series. Still quite good, and best with 4, but ok with 2 or 3.

I think it would be awkward with 3, and probably will never try that, but thoroughly enjoy the game with 2. It probably shifts the balance a bit away from the U.S., but not enough to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll caveat this by saying I haven't played the game in probably 20 years - but, having said that: I recall the game being a little boring for the invaders. The U.S. has the possibility of acquiring various technologies, "militia" reinforcements, and some other stuff. For the invaders - there's really not much going on in the way of gameplay other than "stock up the military hardware and roll dice". Of course there is still tactics/strategy involved for the invaders, but nothing to really "spice it up" for them like the US player.

Let us know how you liked it. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
I recall the game being a little boring for the invaders. The U.S. has the possibility of acquiring various technologies, "militia" reinforcements, and some other stuff. For the invaders - there's really not much going on in the way of gameplay other than "stock up the military hardware and roll dice". Of course there is still tactics/strategy involved for the invaders, but nothing to really "spice it up" for them like the US player.

The only special technology that the US gets is lasers. They draw cards, which give them reinforcements including militia, but both sides fight with the same unit types.

If you don't find the combat situation interesting enough for the invaders, the game is not for you. Those of us who like the game find it very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:

I think it would be awkward with 3, and probably will never try that, but thoroughly enjoy the game with 2. It probably shifts the balance a bit away from the U.S., but not enough to be a problem.

I've played it with 3 successfully several times. The two best players take America and 2 invaders, while the newbie takes the remaining invader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.