Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I've recently entered a bit of a spending spree and thought, since I'm currently into Solitaires and Space Combat games, I could do with some suggestions. So if you know a good game that falls into one of the following groups, please let me know:

1) Solitaires, well, not abstract or classical solitaires, to be specific, but somewhat more complex ones. I've recently ordered Luftschiff and Insecta + add-ons (No desert hive, sadly, I can't find it anywhere :/), as well as a few other soloable games. I'd like to see more going in that direction, it's ok if they're OOP or P&P, though some availability would be preferred, small, portable games preferred as well (BTW, I've already ordered a print out of ZIMP with a recent ArtsCow order, so no need to suggest that).

2) I'm looking for interesting and affordable space combat games (No miniature games please, unless you know where to get a decently sized lot for a good price) on a tactical level. I'm looking into Attack Vector: Tactical, but I'm open to more suggestions. A high (but still managable) level of control over ship systems is preferred, but not necessary, fleet sized actions with low individual control are acceptable too.

3) One thing I've been looking for for a while now is a game of acceptable length (1-2 days) that works both on a strategic and a tactical level. Since Valley Games *still* hasn't sent me my copy of Titan (Their Cojones must be unbelievable, mindblowing, staggering), I can't confirm if that's what I'm looking for, but something in that direction, you can also think "Twilight Imperium with tactical battle resolution", resource management, research etc. on the strategic level is preferred, but not necessary.

International orders and pre-orders are acceptable.

Now, wise Geek-Oracle, tell me your secrets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend some solo games, as I've got and played a few...

Ambush! and Battle Hymn (plus expansion) are great paragraph based games that deliver a lot of story and some great RPG aspects especially if you play through the missions with the same squad. They're long OOP but findable.

Magic Realm can also fit your 3rd category, as it is a long and complex game which can be made longer by playing 2 month games. It works perfectly well solo although it is a multiplayer game. It's the best and most detailed adventure game around, and well worth the time it takes to learn. OOP but not that hard to find. It's also available as a Free p'n'p from Karim's amazing graphical redesign.

Merchant of Venus is another multiplayer game that works well solo. Not too complex and excellent if you like computer games like Elite and Frontier where you trade goods from planet to planet. OOP but findable and you can make your own p'n'p copy from another excellent redesign that has been posted to the files section.

Free Trader is a free p'n'p card game also about space trading. There are Artscow files for this one available too. A good solo game, simple to learn but hard to win.

Fields of Fire was released late last year and it is one of the best and most innovative wargames I've seen. It's complex at first, but as you play it becomes easier to manage. The terrain is randomly made out of cards (no hexes) and the gamesystem takes care of enemy movement in a brilliant way. It's all about the chain of command and keeping your commanders in communication with their troops to best order them.

Wings Over France is another solo game which is still in print AFAIK. You command a group of pilots during a month of WWI, deciding what missions they fly each day. The missions are played and combat encounters are resolve with a pretty clever and fast system (not a detailed tactical simulation). It's quite random but full of tension.

Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora is a solo paragraph game of space exploration. There are many planets and each can be different each game. You explore and get encounters, trying to capture aliens and find other possible artifacts. Some creatures are dangerous, and there's the ever mounting problem of supplies while on the planets. Also quite random but exciting and manages to deliver interesting stories.

Pandora, unlike it's sequel (avobe) is a multiplayer game that can be played solo. It's also quite random, but full of flavor.

Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident is annother solo (or coop) game with a similar thematic than Wreck. This one was supposed to be in print again, but I'm not sure if it is... It's a tactical wargame where the aliens are controled by the game system. It works pretty well and gives a good sense of exploration as your men enter the different rooms of the ship.

Ghost Stories is a recent coop/solo game that works great solo. If you like the theme of fighting oriental monks vs. ghosts and other monsters you'll probably enjoy it although this one is less "story" oriented and more "puzzle"-like. Still, it manages to be quite challenging.

Arkham Horror has a similar theme of fighting all kinds of terrors but is longer and more about the story and the theme. It's got lots of randomness but still has meaningful decisions and lots of replayablity, especially with expansions. Long but not too complex. Multiplayer but works well solo.

If you enjoy shorter, more puzzle-like solo games, be sure to check the Piecepack game system. It's a free p'n'p set of components you can use to play many different games. Some good solo games are: One Man: Thrag!Piece Packing Pirates, Cardinal's Guards, Black Pawn Trucking, Fujisan and if I may plug my own game, ClimbingMan.

That's quite a list. I hope you find something you enjoy

Edit: I think I'll plug another of my games It's also about space trading, but a very quick and simple dice game: Star Trader's Luck. It's free p'n'p (you just need to print six special dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I have looked into your suggestions, and I believe I'll look more closely into Fields of Fire and Wings over France, I believe Noble Knight has Ambush! and a few of the others, and I've been trying to get my hands on a (complete) copy of Magic Realm...
I've also tried to get Last Frontier for a while (A friend suggested it recently ;)) and contacted the designer to see if he can help me acquire it...
I'll also look into the 2 Traders, though I think I'd rather print out stickers for the STL-Dice instead of using paper dice, do you think it would be playable/readable after downsizing the die-sides so that they fit on the tiny dice that came with the pirates boosters? (5-6mm I think), then I could make a version that fits into pastille-box...

Arkham Horror I already own, and I somehow find what I read about Ghost Stories unappealing (Too euro for a "big" game, at least it sounds like it)...

But thanks for your suggestions! I'm always open for more ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had energy for gaming, I really liked the following solitaire games, which may or may not appeal:
Pocket Civ is easy to PnP and a lot of fun. Also can be played with infant in hand, see action shot:

The Dungeon of D is a solo dungeon crawl, pretty tough, I really like it (thank you Secret Santa!)
Silverton is a production game that has a solo option with several scenarios. If you like train games you'll like it, probably not if you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted stickers for the dice but 5mm might be too small...

The D series are also Good. I tried Dungeon of D and liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Silverton, a train/commodities game that has solo scenarios included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
I posted stickers for the dice but 5mm might be too small...

The D series are also Good. I tried Dungeon of D and liked it.

I've played an online version of DoD once, it seemed like a nice game, but it will have to wait till the next ArtsCow order :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I enjoy Silverton, a train/commodities game that has solo scenarios included.
I've never gotten into train games (not that I'm opposed to the idea), but I'll take it into consideration once my wallet is reloaded :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.