Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Tikal» Forums » General

Subject: Poker Chips in TIKAL? - YES! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am glad that Johnny Jaws is my friend.
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I know who I am. I'm the ant playin' the ant, disguised as another ant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I purchased a bunch of poker chips for Chicago Express to replace the hard to handle paper money. A smart purchase, works great.

Well yesterday while teaching Tikal to my nephew, watching him struggle to keep track of his Action Point expenditure, it hit me, poker chips!

Go get 10 poker chips and use them to keep track of your action point expenditure. Here is how we do it.

1. Announce the action.
----- This causes players to pay attention.
2. Pay the action point cost, in poker chips, to the next player.
----- Reduces expenditure confusion and suspicion of error.
3. Take the action.

You will quickly get used to this, and IMO it moves the game along much quicker.

Try it you might like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal tends to have a style of play involving groups of actions (optimizing them). This often leads to many false starts and rolling back prior actions. I suspect using the poker chip method, the chips flow back and forth as the player tries an action and then undoes it. Still, a good idea. I would have the next player in line do the chip monitoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

Larry Levy, President JSNTPC* Foundation

*Just Say No to Poker Chips

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use glass bead counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
shake

*Just Say No to Poker Chips

Not even the mini-poker chips?

Are you a:
- marker on a counting track (ala Thalers tracking in Shadows of the Emporer)
- pencil & paper (ala Bridge & Tichu)
- paper money (ala Monopoly style)
kind of guy?
Or do you shy away from games which require keeping a count (ala hmmmm - I don' have an example for this)

-Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

You misspelled "JSNTPM".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Poker chips and tuckboxes -- inanimate objects with cult followings.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
Are you a:
kind of guy?

I'm usually very happy to use what has been provided to me, Ron. The exception would be something like the totally unusuable score track in Capitol--we just use paper and pencil to keep score in that game.

I acknowledge that there are a few games that are easier to play with poker chips and as long as there's no question about denominations, I have no problem using chips for those. But with some gamers, chips are almost a fetish. I suspect it has more to do with their pleasure of handling the chips rather than any real time savings. That's fine, but I sometimes get tired of the insistence that using the chips makes things so much more streamlined. 9 times out of 10, the provided paper money is perfectly adequate for the task.

The last time we played Automobile, one of our players, a confirmed chip lover, insisted that we use a portable set of chips that he had with him. Unfortunately, the chips weren't marked with denominations, so we had to assign values to them, which the players frequently forgot. I figure the game probably took 10 minutes longer due to our fumbling and constant questions than it would have with the paper money, which works just fine with the game. But your average poker chip lover is oblivious to things like that.

It's not a major concern, but I do have to shake my head sometimes at the extremes that the genus Pokerus Chippus Fannestos will go to to add their favorite component into a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Spot on, Sag. Tuckboxes are indeed another game component with the mystical ability to entrance some gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:
Are you a:
kind of guy?

I'm usually very happy to use what has been provided to me, Ron. The exception would be something like the totally unusuable score track in Capitol--we just use paper and pencil to keep score in that game.

I acknowledge that there are a few games that are easier to play with poker chips and as long as there's no question about denominations, I have no problem using chips for those. But with some gamers, chips are almost a fetish. I suspect it has more to do with their pleasure of handling the chips rather than any real time savings. That's fine, but I sometimes get tired of the insistence that using the chips makes things so much more streamlined. 9 times out of 10, the provided paper money is perfectly adequate for the task.

The last time we played Automobile, one of our players, a confirmed chip lover, insisted that we use a portable set of chips that he had with him. Unfortunately, the chips weren't marked with denominations, so we had to assign values to them, which the players frequently forgot. I figure the game probably took 10 minutes longer due to our fumbling and constant questions than it would have with the paper money, which works just fine with the game. But your average poker chip lover is oblivious to things like that.

It's not a major concern, but I do have to shake my head sometimes at the extremes that the genus Pokerus Chippus Fannestos will go to to add their favorite component into a game.

OK, your common sense approach was lost behind that anti-fanatic acronym.

I'm big on not using poker chips unless they are value stamped on both sides. For games with just one or two denominations, I can deal with the mini poker chips. After that, we're just swapping a fiddly mechanism for a confusing one.

WRT Capitol, I was referring to working score tracks and Capitol clearly falls short of that simple standard.

-Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
9 times out of 10, the provided paper money is perfectly adequate for the task.

One notes that Tikal does not provide paper money, nor is there any implement or tool provided to track action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
Tikal tends to have a style of play involving groups of actions (optimizing them). This often leads to many false starts and rolling back prior actions. I suspect using the poker chip method, the chips flow back and forth as the player tries an action and then undoes it. Still, a good idea. I would have the next player in line do the chip monitoring.

That is what we have discovered. The next player receives and gives back the chips as the current player "optimizes". It seemed to keep things straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Spot on, Sag. Tuckboxes are indeed another game component with the mystical ability to entrance some gamers.

Nothing mystical in this case. The idea helped him enjoy the game better, and kept it moving quicker.

Not your cup of tea? No problemo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used yellow cubes.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

One notes that Tikal does not provide paper money, nor is there any implement or tool provided to track action points.

One also notes that many players are capable of counting up to 10 in their heads. I'm just sayin'.

Snarkiness aside, I have no problem with the OP, or anyone else, using any components that make a game more enjoyable or play smoother. I've just encountered a few too many gamers who insist that ANY game is better with poker chips, so I decided to have a little fun with my contrary position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

One also notes that many players are capable of counting up to 10 in their heads. I'm just sayin'.

Snarkiness aside, I have no problem with the OP, or anyone else, using any components that make a game more enjoyable or play smoother. I've just encountered a few too many gamers who insist that ANY game is better with poker chips, so I decided to have a little fun with my contrary position.

Try being honest. It is funny how you can say you don't have a problem with the post and yet in the same breath fling more arrogant insults. It really sounds like poker chip counseling is in order for you, but frankly, I don't give a RA what your hang up is, just give us your address and we will send you all the paper money you want.

I'm just sayin. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You guys need to have a beer with Obama. That will solve everything.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem remembering the values of three or four colors of chips when i use the mini. Anyone that does, wow. Might want to do some memory exercises or something.

As far as when I'm at home. I use larger ones that are stamped with the value. I don't use them for many games. But some games require them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slate43 wrote:
just give us your address and we will send you all the paper money you want.

Will you send me some too? I like the ones with pictures of Ben Franklin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slate43 wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Try being honest.

Okay, I'll start by saying I have a little problem with your post, because you're taking a harmless discussion where we're all just stating our different opinions and you're trying to turn it into some insult-laden flame war. I'm sorry if you disagree with what I've said, but please don't turn it into anything more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback all. Enjoy Tikal, I really do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Burns
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went the glass bead route. I would like to try poker chips for my next game. Either way (beads, chips, m&m's, teeth, whatever), I think passing them to the next player could be small but helpful idea.

Thanks for the tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
TheCat wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Just counting to 10 in your head is an over-simplification though. Typically you'll count to 4 or 5, then mull over a new option that just occurred to you (which usually involves several more calculations), and then have to remember how many actions you'd spent and how many you have left. Also if you let people "roll back" actions as long as it's still their turn, it gets even more confusing without an action point tracker.

I'm partial to the glass beads myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.