Subject: Mississippian Culture in games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Have any games been made that are based in the Mississippian Culture? I think that it would be a nice theme change and would fit with the common resource management/trading genre I think. So are there any or does anyone else have a good idea that needs this implementation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Oh, this might help explain what I am thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in school, these people were called the mound builders, or hopewell or adena indians if I remember.

I guess building the burial mound might make for a decent paste-on theme. If you really wanted the game to evoke the life and times of these people, what would it incorporate? Hunting, war, dealing with various problems? It might turn out like a more interactive version of In the Year of the Dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
My Empires in Ancient America prototype includes the Mississippian Culture...

...in addition to building temple mounds and establishing large towns these people had extensive trading networks that stretched from the Great Lakes to Florida to Texas. The culture included talented artists and craftsmen but unfortunately most of the art was created using materials which have not survived the passage of 500+ years.

Fascinating subject!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Pete thanks for the info. I have read that their trade networks even reached to the Pacific Northwest. I think it would be a nice change of pace for a euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'd be very interested in any game set in pre-Columbian America. I read 1491 by Mann awhile back and found it fascinating how far advanced the bronze age cultures of the Americas were prior to European influence.

There's a lot of theme to work with here -- getting a game to match it will be quite a trick.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Post
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was working on a game with this theme for a little while, after a visit to the wonderful Cahokia Mounds in southern Illinois, which was more or less the capital of the mississippian civilization (http://www.cahokiamounds.com/). My game was mostly worker-placement, with the ability to gain victory points by trading for luxury items and then burying one of your workers in a mound. I also went a step further and tried to include the decline of Cahokia (c. 12th century, if I remember correctly), which they think was caused by overfarming and environmental degradation. The idea was that, as your farms' productivity starts decreasing and you run out of food to feed your workers, you start hemorrhaging VPs (and can no longer trade for luxury goods). At any point in the endgame, though, you could choose to "abandon Cahokia," pulling your workers from the board, locking in your VP total and making things (potentially) much more difficult for the players who decided to stay.

It probably wasn't a workable idea, but I wanted some way to use Euro mechanisms to tell an entire economic narrative arc, from expansion to decline. I love my economic engine Euros, but they generally seem to support the myth that economies can expand exponentially and eternally (probably because it makes for a better game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
I would pick that game up. That sounds awesome! I love the decline idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.