Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to create an avatar from video in DVD format. Would anyone know how to start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If non-animated: download VideoLAN player, play DVD with it, make screenshot from DVD, crop to size.

If animated: download mplayer, use the output-to-GIF function to get a series of GIFs of the bit you want, then use something that turns a seried of GIFs into an animated gif.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not having success with using MPlayer, and it seems there are different versions.

Would anyone have a direct link for the MPlayer download?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you do get MPlayer working (I haven't quite yet). The following link has the instructions for watching a segment of a file and saving the segment as it's own file.

http://blog.ahfr.org/2008/03/making-animated-gifs-with-free-...

I've installed SMPlayer which gives MPlayer a GUI, but I'm not sure it installed all of MPlayer with SMPlayer. The movie I'm interested in wasn't playing properly in SMPlayer (it was all pixilated), but another movie worked fine. I then got my movie working by upping the cache in the preferences. So, having got SMPlayer to work I tried looking for how I would save the file as GIFs. It looks like I need to use command line commands to do that so the SMPlayer GUI doesn't help me there.

I haven't had the same success with the command line commands. When I use those to play a segment of the movie I get the pixilation again. I'll keep researching it. It would be nice to have a tutorial to put together on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SMPlayer seems to be more readily available. It seems SMPlayer does not have the ability to convert to GIF and also does not seem to have a command line prompt which any how-to-guides that I can find keep referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you install SMPlayer it also installs MPlayer. I don't know if this is a "limited" version of MPlayer or if it's the same thing.

I had looked in SMPlayer for a place to type command line instructions as well, but eventually I just opened a separate command prompt in windows and tried the MPlayer commands there. I'm an old mac guy so the command prompt is not my natural environment, so you'll have to forgive me if these instructions are hopelessly trivial:

1. I opened a command prompt window.
2. Changed directory to the MPlayer directory:
cd c:\program files\smplayer\mplayer
3. I put a dvd in my laptop and explored it a little. There were a lot of files with a VOB extension. These were large files and based on the icons, looked like the ones with the actual video in them. So I tried out the command line from step 2 of the blog I linked to above:

mplayer -ao null -loop 0 -ss 0:11:22 -endpos 5 e:\video_ts\filename.vob

The end of that line is the path to the .vob file I found.

The resulting looped video file was hopelessly pixilated which was the same result (with this particular dvd) I had the first time I ran SMPlayer. I had been able to improve performance in SMPlayer by raising the DVD cache to 8000kb in the preferences. I didn't have the same luck with the command line instruction. (I tried adding -cache 8128, but that didn't work.)

I'm going to try another dvd with my next experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
When you install SMPlayer it also installs MPlayer. I don't know if this is a "limited" version of MPlayer or if it's the same thing.

It's the same thing. MPlayer is a command-line-only application, originally motivated by use on Linux, where such things are common. SMPlayer (and similar other packages) are just graphical frontends to MPlayer. Most people wouldn't use MPlayer directly unless they're writing scripts or doing very specific technical work.

Can't help on the real question, though... sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.